Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I don't think we can afford to re-sign Anthony Harris, so we'll have a new starting safety. I can't see Zimmer starting a rookie safety, and it sounds like Kearse is also gone, so we'll probably see Sendejo or a similar veteran stopgap there, while a rookie learns behind them. 

I think you need to cut Rhodes based on his performance and salary. I'd re-sign Waynes because he shouldn't command top-5 CB money, and we can't lose 3 starters in one year.

Linebackers are set. 

I'd keep Everson if at all possible, otherwise it'll just need to be Weatherly and Odenigbo stepping up.

On the inside, it might be time to let Linval go. I'm sure his contract is pretty expensive, he is old, and we just got gashed on the ground against SF. I would draft a DT as high as possible. 

Losing Linval, Everson, Rhodes and Harris at the same time will be a huge change to the defense, but if we can draft a good DT we should be OK. We have young DE's that can step in and we invested in corners the last few years. Safety will be downgraded, but that is Zim's specialty. He can get production out of cheaper players.

I don't think the team can afford to lose Harris. He may honestly be better than Smith, and is unarguably better at generating turnovers. Harris, Colquitt and Bailey are my priority resigns. Much more okay letting Waynes, Joseph and even Griffen walk if it means keeping Harris. Hopefully Kirk extends at a more reasonable cap hit (while still getting paid more) so the defense can maintain a little more continuity.

6 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

I don't think the team can afford to lose Harris. He may honestly be better than Smith, and is unarguably better at generating turnovers. Harris, Colquitt and Bailey are my priority resigns. Much more okay letting Waynes, Joseph and even Griffen walk if it means keeping Harris. Hopefully Kirk extends at a more reasonable cap hit (while still getting paid more) so the defense can maintain a little more continuity.

I agree.  Harris is one of the talented, upcoming, young players.  He's almost as good, overall as Smith, and he can be at that level or higher for several more years.  Rhodes will be gone.  I'd rather let Joseph or Griffen go.  They are long-in-the-tooth, and we see them losing effectiveness each year.  They are nearing the point of a precipitous dropoff.  

20 minutes ago, cconocool said:

Next year is going to be tough. It is fine if we finish 3/4 in the division. Prep for the next year with a coup compensatory picks and an easier schedule. 

And pick up a talented QB in the draft, who can improve during the gap year, as well as some new offensive linemen that can get rid of their rookie mistakes and the new line can spend the upcoming "throw-away year" gelling, so they can work well together, the following year.  The new additions to the defence can do the same with their new colleagues.

• Like 1

In Minnesota, that may entail the head coach and the defensive coordinator coming from the same family tree. With George Edwards out, linebackers coach Adam Zimmer (son of head coach Mike Zimmer) is a candidate to take over the defense, according to Alex Marvez of SiriusXM NFL Radio.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/report-adam-zimmer-a-candidate-to-become-new-defensive-coordinator-in-minnesota/

This year feels like it has potential to be a lot like Seattle's 2018 season. That was kind of the end of the road for most of the veteran defensive players. They each had a pretty long run together and both were pretty dominant. I think this defense might've been remembered differently if Bridgewater hadn't gotten hurt. 

But hopefully they can do something similar to the Seahawks with a soft rebuild on the fly. One big difference though is obviously Wilson vs. Cousins. 

I dont post here often but I hang around and read most of what everyone has to say. It was an ok season that was at least watchable for the most part with a big wild card win and a little bit of hope and belief in the end.

Moving on to next season I don't think we should make any drastic changes to scheme or philosophy and keep all hiring in house. Go for a minor retooling and see what this coaching staff and Cousins can do one more time before a house cleaning if needed. In free agency I want focus on keeping the priority in house guys and not spend any money we're able to find under the couch cushions on outside guys.

Most agree Harris is top priority so I wonder if any of the tags are an option, maybe we can get something for him if someone really wants him and we can't come up with the funds. I would like to find a way to keep Griffen and the kickers if the money works but after that we probably wont be able keep the other DBs unless we can really free up some money, Rhodes and Joseph will probably be cap casualties in an effort to keep the priority in house.

Looking to the draft I want the focus to be mainly the trenches on both sides with a cornerback or two somewhere in the first 5 rds, if there was value in a QB outside the 1st I would consider it.

• Like 4

Hey guys, handling your TCMD in the Mock Draft forum.

Obviously my salary cap is an issue... bad, lol. 

I know the off line is a big deal. How do you see to best fix it? Draft? Move Reiff inside and possibly trade for a LT? Would you move on from the guard(s)?

Harris is probably my #1 priority. I don't plan on him getting away. I'd like to bring Sendejo back cheap if possible too. 

Waynes seems an interesting yes and no with you all. Ideally I would like to keep him, because I will try and offload Rhoades.

I think at this point I will move on from Griffen too unfortunately. I have to make cuts somewhere. How is Weatherly?

How about Wilson? Was he the starting WLB?

I might try to extend Kirk. It could help with cap, and there aren't really other options out there for THIS season. 

Edited by MikeT14