Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

9 hours ago, swede700 said:

Clowney now appears not to be returning to Seattle, as the Seahawks now gave #90 back to Jarran Reed (who had that number before Clowney arrived), so Clowney will likely now land in Tennessee.  What impact that has on Everson either going to Seattle or coming back here remains to be seen.  

It would be tough capwise, but if Clowney ever becomes amenable to a one-year deal in order to take another swing at unrestricted free agency again next year I would love to see the Vikings bring him in for a year. 

Now that he wouldn't factor in compensatory considerations for the year signing him would not cost the team a pick next year. Assuming he has a good year in the Vikings system the Vikings would stand a decent chance of picking up a future third-round compensatory selection when they lose him after the year.

Gaining the services of Clowney along with the compensatory considerations for losing him is certainly worth investing something into. The question is, how much would it be worth sacrificing for that gain. If the Vikings signed Clowney for a year at $10M they would have to restructure at least one contract. That would push some dollars into future years. That cost in future years would be offset by the player they would bring in on a rookie contract if they get the compensatory pick.

Looking at the Vikings cap situation now, they can easily kick over $14M from this year into future years via simple restructures of Barr, Kendricks, and Thielen.

The bigger trick would be convincing Clowney to sign for $10M. I don't know what his current expectations are but the team might even see the prospect of having Clowney for the year to be worth more of that potential $14M cap dollars kicked into the future.

For arguments sake, lets say the Vikings get a third-round pick back in a couple years. If that player starts for two years in place of what otherwise would have been a veteran on a second contract it would save the Vikings more (how much more would depend on the position) than the $10M they deferred to the future years of the cap. 

If the Vikings can rationalize it as being cap neutral in the future signing Clowney would be attractive. Even if it isn't cap neutral the prospect of having Clowney on the team is quite attractive. Clowney has been very good, not great, maybe near-great, so far in the league. I still think that he can be great, but even if he merely has a near-great year he should get a nice contract after the season assuming he doesn't have injury concerns and is able to visit teams in a (hopefully) world less bound up by threat of the spread SARS-CoV-2 as treatment options for COVID-19 improve.

It will probably never happen and it is probably kind of greedy of me to wish that the Vikings made it work. That doesn't make it less interesting to consider. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

It will probably never happen and it is probably kind of greedy of me to wish that the Vikings made it work. That doesn't make it less interesting to consider. 

It is fun to consider and I can't say I disagree. Another option would be to get the Harris extension done to free up some cap this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of the areas that will be getting a healthy amount of attention from Zimmer in the coming weeks and months is the defense.

Zimmer said that he’s looking forward to going through that process.

Zimmer knows that he may not have the optimal amount of time to work with the new faces, but is confident “we will figure out how best to utilize those particular weeks” as they build their defense.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/14/mike-zimmer-energized-by-changes-on-vikings-defense/

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Gary Kubiak's biggest impact will probably be on the Vikings defense. He will allow Zim to go back an focus on defense especially the secondary. Zim need a strong OC who can be the HC of the offense. His poor time management and conservative nature amplify when overseeing everything.