Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

They should, but Cook is good for business.

I would love to see us get max value for him this year, but I don't see our front office taking that approach.

Winning is also good for business.

I don't actually see cook having that kind of following

• Like 3

On 1/18/2020 at 9:22 AM, Hyperborean said:

You're right.  All of those teams except Minnesota are offensive minded franchises.  He still thinks defense wins championships.

It does.  You now look at these Super Bowl franchises.  The 49ers have won games because of their defense (and their running game).  The Chiefs are here mainly because of Mahomes, but also because their defense is now competent.  

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

They should, but Cook is good for business.

I would love to see us get max value for him this year, but I don't see our front office taking that approach.

I think you are overestimating Cook's popularity...he has played like just 25 games so far..he is not like someone like Adrian Peterson when it comes to popularity among this fanbase. He isn't that big of a name where his absence leads to fans not filling up seats

• Like 3

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

It does.  You now look at these Super Bowl franchises.  The 49ers have won games because of their defense (and their running game).  The Chiefs are here mainly because of Mahomes, but also because their defense is now competent.  

49ers also have a pretty good passing game. Their defense in 2nd half of regular season had lot of injuries...so when that defense struggled, their passing offense stepped up. They scored like 48 points in that win vs Saints. They just aren't passing much so far in playoffs mainly because they didn't really need it..when your rush offense is averaging like 7-8 ypc, guess you don't need to pass much. They will certainly need it vs Chiefs

I found this quote from Kyle Shanahan pretty interesting...he mentions how important Center is to his offense. Considering Vikings brought in Kubiak and how similar underlying philosophies are in both Shanahan and Kubiak's offenses, it probably explains why they picked a Center in first Round -

• Like 1

4 hours ago, upriser7 said:

I found this quote from Kyle Shanahan pretty interesting...he mentions how important Center is to his offense. Considering Vikings brought in Kubiak and how similar underlying philosophies are in both Shanahan and Kubiak's offenses, it probably explains why they picked a Center in first Round -

Kubiak made similar comments last year after he was hired. It’s one of the reasons so many had Bradbury mocked to the Vikings. 

• Like 1

Been thinking about some creative options for the off-season problems and a name I haven't seen many bring up is OJ Howard.

Stay with me here. It seems possible that OJ wants out of Tampa. He is waaaaay too talented to be relegated to blocking duties and if I'm the Vikings I'd press pretty hard to get him.

Cook for Howard makes a lot of sense and maybe, just maybe Tampa is willing to take Rudy's contract off out hands as well.

Howard and Smith would be a really fun combo for the future and compliment what team wants to do on offense really well.

Edited by Dolmonite26

21 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Absolutely not unless some picks are thrown in. Not for a TE who's cracked 500 yards once in 3 seasons.

You are grossly under estimating Howard, wow.

He is one of those rare TEs who actually add a lot of value. In short he can exploit a market inefficiency like Kittle or Gronk before him.

Judging him on volume stats is negligent.

Edited by Dolmonite26

41 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

You are grossly under estimating Howard, wow.

He is one of those rare TEs who actually add a lot of value. In short he can exploit a market inefficiency like Kittle or Gronk before him.

Judging him on volume stats is negligent.

Howard has huge upside, but he's been far too inconsistent...and in the end, the Vikings have absolutely no need for him.  TE is one of the few positions that they don't have any need for either a starter or depth.  

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

....why? At this point Kirk is a far better QB.

Far better?  Rivers has a pretty good year on a fairly terrible team.  Rivers has MUCH superior pocket awareness, plus the quick release.  Kirk is younger and probably more healthy...but certainly more timid in the passing game.

5 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Far better?  Rivers has a pretty good year on a fairly terrible team.  Rivers has MUCH superior pocket awareness, plus the quick release.  Kirk is younger and probably more healthy...but certainly more timid in the passing game.

On this I might have to agree with @Heimdallr.  Rivers' decision-making has always been questionable, and now based on the few times I saw him play, he doesn't have the arm strength he once had.  I think he's done.  Right now, Kirk is far better QB than Rivers.  

• Like 1