Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t get why Cousins would be in a rush to do anything based on these demands. He’s either getting a raise and less guarantees or another 2-3 year guarantee at a lower salary. Cousins would be better off forcing the Vikes to do something after his contract is up if your two goals are not to give him a raise and not commit. Feel like both parties should just play out the deal and talk new contract next year. I know Spielman typically doesn’t give new deals during the season but that may ultimately be the best course of action. Outside of the Saints win, Cousins record was terrible against .500 or better teams, not that it’s all on him.

It comes down to where Cousins’ priorities lie. 

This is the offseason where the Vikings need to figure out what their long term plans are at the QB position. If you want to wait and see what Cousins does in year three to see whether or not he’s worth an extension, you’ve already got your answer. He’s not. After two years you know what Cousins is going to give you, it’s not going to change. If it’s not good enough for you, the subject of an extension shouldn’t even be brought up. But if his level of play is good enough for you, there’s no reason to wait on an extension. 

And Cousins needs to figure where his priorities lie. Are they about winning? Or getting paid? If he wants to win in Minnesota he’s going to have to give a little in the contract. If he just wants to get paid, let him do it somewhere else. 

Think if it like Drew Brees in 2018. The Saints were close, and Brees wanted to win. He could have pushed for the $30M AAV contract, and likely gotten it if not more, on the open market. Maybe even from the Saints. But he took the team friendlier deal, which still kept him as a very highly paid QB. But also helped the Saints and their cap situation. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 6:23 PM, Dolmonite26 said:

Don't know a lot about him, his contract, fit or what the trade would look like, but with PFFs high grading of him, maybe he'd be worth a look?

On 2/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, perrynoid said:

Base salary next year (the last year of his contract) of $3.25 million with a roster bonus of $250,000.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28674571/unhappy-deal-quinton-dunbar-asks-redskins-release-trade-him

I think you guys are the ideal team for him in a trade.  What compensation would you be willing to give?

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

4th round pick. I’m not giving up a top 100 pick for a guy entering a contract year. 

Even though you guys are in win-now mode and could really use CB help on a cheap contract?  Worse comes to worse, you’d get a 3rd round comp pick if he balls out and you can’t keep him. 

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Even though you guys are in win-now mode and could really use CB help on a cheap contract?  Worse comes to worse, you’d get a 3rd round comp pick if he balls out and you can’t keep him. 

But I’d have to wait 3 years to get that draft pick back, and a 3rd comp is in no way guaranteed. 

You have a player who is demanding a trade or his release which automatically lowers his value. Plus, I’d be on the hook to re-sign him, for likely a high contract, which also lowers his value. 

He’s a player who’ll be 28 before the season starts, he’s only started 25 games in 5 years, and he’s never played a full season. 

I’d be better off keeping my draft pick and re-signing Trae Waynes. 

Edited by SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But I’d have to wait 3 years to get that draft pick back, and a 3rd comp is in no way guaranteed. 

You have a player who is demanding a trade or his release which automatically lowers his value. Plus, I’d be on the hook to re-sign him, for likely a high contract, which also lowers his value. 

He’s a player who’ll be 28 before the season starts, he’s only started 25 games in 5 years, and he’s never played a full season. 

I’d be better off keeping my draft pick and re-signing Trae Waynes. 

All good points. I guess it depends how “all in” you are for a SB next year. He’d be a great get for a one year run at the very least. His PFF ranking last year was not a fluke.  He was PFF’s #2 CB in the 2018 season too before his injury. When it comes to his injuries, some blame can definitely be laid at the feet of our former medical and training staff - they were atrocious. 

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

All good points. I guess it depends how “all in” you are for a SB next year. He’d be a great get for a one year run at the very least. His PFF ranking last year was not a fluke.  He was PFF’s #2 CB in the 2018 season too before his injury. When it comes to his injuries, some blame can definitely be laid at the feet of our former medical and training staff - they were atrocious. 

I think the time has passed to be all in for a super bowl. The Vikes are entering a phase where they need to reload the roster, they need youth because the expensive contracts are catching up. I’m sorry to say, I think the window closed 2018-2019 with the current roster. The Vikes need to lean on the draft and find ways to cope without guys like Joseph, Reiff, Griffen, Waynes, that’s the situation they are in signing Cousins and Barr to the deals they got. Neither looks to be worth it at the end of the day but they were final pieces for that super bowl window.

Trading a high pick for an expensive 28 year old CB seems unlikely, but you never know with Zimmer and Spielman fighting for their jobs. They may still be of the belief that they can win with the 2019 roster. I don’t see it unless they can get a shutdown CB, some interior pass rush help, maybe an edge rusher, and some big time improvement along the left side of the OL. Tall order for one offseason.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

One of the issues with bringing in a FA CB is that Zimmer is extremely picky about his CBs and it generally takes a guy (either a draftee or a FA) a little while to grasp what Zimmer wants him to do.  Generally, it takes until late in the season, if not even until season #2 before he is fully competent in the system.  The last notable FA that was signed by Zimmer was probably Captain Munnerlyn, and his first season was okay, but it wasn't until season 2 when he fully grasped what he needed to do in a Zimmer defense.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I think you guys are the ideal team for him in a trade.  What compensation would you be willing to give?

I don't get the chance to see too many Redskins games so I don't know much about him.  What do you think he would be worth out on the market?

52 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't get the chance to see too many Redskins games so I don't know much about him.  What do you think he would be worth out on the market?

Not sure, I think it would need to be a very high pick if he didn't have the injury history. 

Our ESPN beat reporter - John Keim - said in a recent podcast that he's had discussions with people around the league who think Dunbar would command anywhere from an early 3rd to a mid 4th round pick.  He said it would be higher if he didn't have the injury history.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not sure, I think it would need to be a very high pick if he didn't have the injury history. 

Our ESPN beat reporter - John Keim - said in a recent podcast that he's had discussions with people around the league who think Dunbar would command anywhere from an early 3rd to a mid 4th round pick.  He said it would be higher if he didn't have the injury history.

If he's a good player and we need players at the position it would make sense for the Vikings to give up a 3rd round pick for him then, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t expect much roster change to be honest. Seems that the current regime is too loyal to veterans who have deals in place. I’d love to see a roster purge to keep younger free agents, but what is the reality they actually make those tough cuts? 

This team has cut a lot of veteran players over the years who haven’t lived up to their contracts. Not sure where you’re getting the “too loyal” thing from. 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t expect much roster change to be honest. Seems that the current regime is too loyal to veterans who have deals in place. I’d love to see a roster purge to keep younger free agents, but what is the reality they actually make those tough cuts? 

Well then I feel sorry for a lot of our younger players. And that not fair to them..

Griffin, Reiff, Rhodes, Joseph, and Elflein all should be cut.. No questions asked..

People are gonna complain, but Cousins is gonna get an extension and I believe help the team out by taking less money per year.

Free up some money and get a few younger players in free agency and in the draft. 

The Vikings are much closer then some people think right now. 

We need help on both lines and I would fix that 1st. 

if they decide not to do this, then they are better off trading every pro bowler we have and start over.