Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

1 minute ago, skywindO2 said:

I like bringing Shurmer back for sure but I have a feeling Kubiak or his son might be the OC next. 

We'll have to see who Stefanski takes from our coaching staff. Clint Kubiak may want to strike out on his own and be Kevin's OC.

15 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

I don't think we are that far off.   Need to add pass rushing threat at DT, new LG, add corner depth, and either a speedster or a size mismatch at WR.

How do you do that being 3 million over the cap. Two of your top CB's are free agents. They've already said they want to work on an extension with Cook. That will cost some money next year because he's only making 2nd round money right now. 

Serious question, how do you do that without creating more holes by getting to a financial point to accomplish this and not creating additional holes on the team? Do you give Cousins a massive extension and thus, lowering his cap hit next year? 

Who do you cut? Who do you restructure? 

You make the wrong moves this off season and whatever window you thought you had is gone. 

39 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Most of this year's problems were predictable, and yet the team did not overcome them. That's on coaching. Great coaches find a way. This team was good, but not great. Does anyone see a path to greatness next year?

I put the problem more on the GM rather than the coaching staff.  After all, a tu*d is a tu*d, even though you put ketchup on it, right?  We need better players on the OL and at DT.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Most of this year's problems were predictable, and yet the team did not overcome them. That's on coaching. Great coaches find a way. This team was good, but not great. Does anyone see a path to greatness next year?

Draft: R1 3-tech, R2 OG, R3 CB, R4 NT or some permutation thereof, depending on who is available.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Spielman needs to go. I don't trust him to build the team properly at evaluating the QB and handing out bad contracts.

I’m with you in regards to Spielman. I think a  change would be refreshing. I’m fine if the new GM wants to give Zimmer one more year and reevaluate coaching in 2021. I think this would be the first step towards “greatness”.

• Like 1

Some definite choices to make, and I have a feeling that Zimmer/Spielman make the wrong one and work under the assumption that we still have a currently open/viable competing window.

An Aging Defense
Decisions are going to have to be made on players like Linval Joseph, Everson Griffen, and Xavier Rhodes.  Linval is still effective but it feels like he's able to play less and less and wears down quicker.  Armon Watts appears to have a future, Jaleel Johnson had an improvement year, but Shamar Stephen was largely a non-factor, and we still don't have a disruptor on the interior that's needed to make the scheme Zimmer employs elite.  Everson and Rhodes are making way too much for their level of production. Griffen has potential replacements on the roster in Weatherly and Odenigbo (even if it's a combination of the two of them).  Behind Rhodes there are expiring contracts in Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander.  Anthony Harris also has an expiring deal and needs to be re-signed as the leagues interception leader over the last season and a half.  Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks, and Danielle Hunter are still stalwart defenders, and Anthony Barr is still inconsistent.

LEFT SIDE... weak side
The left side of our offensive line was largely atrocious this year.  Elflein has another year on his rookie deal, but can not be counted upon as a starter at that position.  Riley Reiff has two years left on a deal that costs us 13.2M against the cap next year (8.8M in savings if released).  Are there options on the roster to contend for those spots?  Oli Udoh and Dru Samia are intriguing, but unproven.  On the right side, O'Neill is one of the better tackles in the league at that spot, and Josh Klein is at least a league average player when he's on the field.  Bradbury had a very up and down year, but his weaknesses that were talked about during the draft were definitely exposed.  Another year in an NFL program, and hopefully improvement to his left will lead to a better sophomore season.

Kirk Cousins is the perfect Minnesota QB
Fits the nature of our professional sports, good, but never good enough.  He's limited in what he can do, and needs an ideal situation around him to be as effective as he was this year.  He had a very good year, and did that largely without Adam Thielen this season.  Personally, I play out the final year of his deal, and trim cap space elsewhere.  He's not the QB that will get us over the hump and I let him play out his deal and then leave after next season unless he improves in games that aren't played at noon.

Skill Position Drama
Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, Smith, and Cook are good to great pieces of an offense.  Rudolph had a renaissance year as both a receiver and blocker and earned the extension that he signed.  He will be here another one to two years based on his contract.  Thielen had an injury plagued season and seemed to struggle with some concentration issues when returning; could have just been rust.  Diggs is Diggs, has competitive fire that we have no idea about how his antics truly impact the team.  He's turned into one of the better deep ball receivers in the league.  Smith had a solid rookie year and should continue to develop.  Cook was dynamite early and wore down as the year continued - the contact he run through earlier in the year, took him down late in the season and in the playoffs.  Mattison looks like a legit backup that can help carry the load more next year to keep Cook fresh.  Bisi Johnson has the look of a reliable depth piece that can help move the chains.  How much more will he develop? 

-----

We know we will have another new OC next year, George Edwards is likely moving on as well from reports.  How much will that impact what we do next year? Will we continue to invest in the trenches like we need to?  How different does the boundary of our secondary look next year.

Personally...

Xavier Rhodes - gone
Everson Griffen - gone (could opt out after reaching his sack totals - love Ev, but he's a cap casualty to me)
Trae Waynes - gone (will cost too much for what he is, which is a number two, complimentary, corner)
Mackensie Alexander - re-signed (Hughes, Alexander, Hill/Boyd as the starting trio beginning next offseason - position will need to be addressed)
Anthony Harris - re-signed

Kirk Cousins - no extension, plays out the final year of his deal.
Riley Reiff - gone (cap casualty - don't think there's a sharp drop off to the next players on this team)
Pat Elflein - swing backup

• Like 1