Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

12 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

We have like four 7th round picks, right? I'm fine with just throwing all those picks at WRs and see who sticks. 

We have a good record of making low/non draft picks work. Diggs, Thielen, Bisi Johnson, Jarius Wright,  Charles Johnson...

It is the high draft picks that bust (Treadwell, Patterson, Harvin...)

I’d maybe draft a DE or two with those 7th round picks as well. Seems like we do well with those late round developmental types.

8 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

I still don't understand the Stephen deal. He is taking up 5 million on the cap and doesn't provide a strength in really anything. They have like 6 defensive tackles and it's still a weakness it feels like. 

Maybe you have really high expectations for that spot. I think NT is fine with Pierce and Watts. That’s a solid 1-2 if Pierce plays as he did a couple years ago. Watts looked okay.

UT is a concern. I’m guessing Stephen plays in base with one of the backup DEs subbing in during passing situations. Hopefully Griffen returns to allow for Odinigbo to play there. Jaleel Johnson is also in the mix, nothing special there. Same with Holmes, he’s been a bust. There is a definite need for an every down 3T, not another big body that can’t get after the QB.

I see five DTs making the team: Pierce, Stephen,  rookie, Watts and Johnson.

i think they could cut Stephen and not really be hurt at the end of the day.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

I’d think that Melvin Gordon should be a good indicator to what kind of deal Cook should get from the Vikes. Gordon’s market looks dead. Don’t pay a RB. Just look at the Rams shopping Gurley or what the Jets got from Bell last year. Let him play out that rookie deal and move on.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d think that Melvin Gordon should be a good indicator to what kind of deal Cook should get from the Vikes. Gordon’s market looks dead. Don’t pay a RB. Just look at the Rams shopping Gurley or what the Jets got from Bell last year. Let him play out that rookie deal and move on.

Very valid point(s).

49 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Thing is, with these things happening..... it just might make Cook be affordable enough where it wouldn’t bother....

but with past injury history, I’d rather just target another 2-3rd round rb this year or next

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Thing is, with these things happening..... it just might make Cook be affordable enough where it wouldn’t bother....

but with past injury history, I’d rather just target another 2-3rd round rb this year or next

I’d do it next year. There is virtually no learning curve to the position and Mattison can take the bulk of the carries by then. Anything over $8 million seems like a bad deal these days. $6 million for a cash strapped team is pushing it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Anthony Harris.

I have seen no reports of Harris signing his franchise tender; he is not under contract.

That said, it is unlikely that he won't sign the tender or some other contract with the Vikings at some point. Even in the scenario of a trade Harris would first have to sign with the Vikings.

There is only a small chance the Vikings rescind the franchise tender or Harris refuses to sign it and skips the year. But, the question was specifically asking about other DBs that were under contract. Harris should not be included in that group until he is under contract.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

If Gordon's value is depressed enough I wouldn't mind the Vikings signing him and then trading Cook. They may find that to be an easier solution than trying to get Cook to agree to their terms.

Assuming Cook is not looking to sign anything this year that doesn't pay him at least $10M per year (not sure that is a sound assumption), anything at $5M per year or less for Gordon and I would lock it up.

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If Gordon's value is depressed enough I wouldn't mind the Vikings signing him and then trading Cook. They may find that to be an easier solution than trying to get Cook to agree to their terms.

Assuming Cook is not looking to sign anything this year that doesn't pay him at least $10M per year (not sure that is a sound assumption), anything at $5M per year or less for Gordon and I would lock it up.

Interesting option and I wouldn’t be opposed to that approach. 

Edited by vikingsrule