Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

55 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Would Ya?

Trade Anthony Harris & #89 to Washington for Trent Williams?

If they could make the money work I think I would do it. The only hesitation I have with Williams is that it's been put out there that he wants to be highest paid LT. They then could look at possible cutting Reif and signing someone like Mike Person or moving him inside. 

I think if the Vikings want one of the top 4 Tackles they will more than likely have to trade up which would probably include a pick like the 89th anyway.

I don't have the Vikings latest cap space number at hand, but I understand it isn't much.  It seems that the Vikings are likely done signing free agents, and do not have cap room to make trades such as those proposed above.   So, I believe Ten Pick, er, Twelve Pick Rick will rely on (lower cost) draft picks to fill roster holes and wait for end of pre-season vet cuts to sign a few vets at a discount price.  So, call me 'pessimistic' about more trades and signings.  Sorry to spoil everyone's fun in speculating about 'splashy' roster moves.  :|

Speculation on the first 5 draft picks, in no particular order: OT/OG, CB(2), DE, WR.

3 hours ago, Purplexing said:

I don't have the Vikings latest cap space number at hand, but I understand it isn't much.  It seems that the Vikings are likely done signing free agents, and do not have cap room to make trades such as those proposed above.   So, I believe Ten Pick, er, Twelve Pick Rick will rely on (lower cost) draft picks to fill roster holes and wait for end of pre-season vet cuts to sign a few vets at a discount price.  So, call me 'pessimistic' about more trades and signings.  Sorry to spoil everyone's fun in speculating about 'splashy' roster moves.  :|

Speculation on the first 5 draft picks, in no particular order: OT/OG, CB(2), DE, WR.

I think Harris will be traded off due to the high amount he'll have to be paid.  I just hope he brings back a 2nd Round choice, rather than the "mid-round" (3rd or 4th) stated that The Vikings are seeking.  I'm hoping he'll be signed to a long-term  contract, which will make his cap hit a lot higher after 2020, so The Vikings can boost their cap room up from $7 million to, maybe $12 or  $13 million, so they can pay their many rookies, and still grab one OL free agent.  The rest roster filling will have to come from The Draft and, possibly an UDFA or 2.  The only other possibility is trading Harris for a 2nd Rounder, and flipping it to The Patriots for Thuney, who may have only been tagged by them to get something in trade for him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

No. Just don’t do it. You can get equivalent production from rookie deals and street free agents. 

Revolving Rookie RBs would have no incentive on your team. They wouldn't respect you for making them get smacked by the likes of Danny Trevathan over and over again. And who would blame them? Good luck with that. 

You can find examples at any position of guys off the street succeeding. I assume you like to think of Mostert as being a revelation. Donald Driver was living in a van down by the river before becoming one of the best WRs in the game. They didn't try to replace him with some other guy off the street though, and look how happy it made everyone. I still don't know who or what a Gardner Minshew is -- never bothered checking. That new DT we just picked up was an undrafted FA not that long ago -- oh and John Randle. To think just any unheralded FA can match Cook's skill/talent level is hilarious though.

3 hours ago, babababa said:

Revolving Rookie RBs would have no incentive on your team. They wouldn't respect you for making them get smacked by the likes of Danny Trevathan over and over again. And who would blame them? Good luck with that. 

You can find examples at any position of guys off the street succeeding. I assume you like to think of Mostert as being a revelation. Donald Driver was living in a van down by the river before becoming one of the best WRs in the game. They didn't try to replace him with some other guy off the street though, and look how happy it made everyone. I still don't know who or what a Gardner Minshew is -- never bothered checking. That new DT we just picked up was an undrafted FA not that long ago -- oh and John Randle. To think just any unheralded FA can match Cook's skill/talent level is hilarious though.

Look at every RB contract that has been dished out the last 3-4 years. Every last one of them was a terrible idea. Devoting a large chunk of cap space to a running back is not a good way to build a team. Let Dalvin walk next year unless he wants to stick around for $4 million a year. It might take a combination of 2 or 3 guys, but his production is replaceable.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Robb_K said:

I think Harris will be traded off due to the high amount he'll have to be paid.  I just hope he brings back a 2nd Round choice, rather than the "mid-round" (3rd or 4th) stated that The Vikings are seeking.  I'm hoping he'll be signed to a long-term  contract, which will make his cap hit a lot higher after 2020, so The Vikings can boost their cap room up from $7 million to, maybe $12 or  $13 million, so they can pay their many rookies, and still grab one OL free agent.  The rest roster filling will have to come from The Draft and, possibly an UDFA or 2.  The only other possibility is trading Harris for a 2nd Rounder, and flipping it to The Patriots for Thuney, who may have only been tagged by them to get something in trade for him.

What you hope for is not likely to occur.  Teams know the Vikings cap situation and draft pick count, so they have the leverage in trade talks about Harris.   Cap relief alone is enough reward to accept only a 3rd round choice for Harris.  But, it would be preferable to keep a top quality safety, for continuity and experience/ familiarity he brings to the currently depleted secondary.

5 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

What you hope for is not likely to occur.  Teams know the Vikings cap situation and draft pick count, so they have the leverage in trade talks about Harris.   Cap relief alone is enough reward to accept only a 3rd round choice for Harris.  But, it would be preferable to keep a top quality safety, for continuity and experience/ familiarity he brings to the currently depleted secondary.

Yeah, I’m not trading Harris if I’m not blown away with an offer. I’d rather keep a good, ascending player like Harris. I might be more inclined to do a player for player deal for Harris knowing that I’m getting a starter in return. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I have seen no reports of Harris signing his franchise tender; he is not under contract.

That said, it is unlikely that he won't sign the tender or some other contract with the Vikings at some point. Even in the scenario of a trade Harris would first have to sign with the Vikings.

There is only a small chance the Vikings rescind the franchise tender or Harris refuses to sign it and skips the year. But, the question was specifically asking about other DBs that were under contract. Harris should not be included in that group until he is under contract.

We're still counting him against the cap when we throw these numbers out correct?

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

We're still counting him against the cap when we throw these numbers out correct?

Correct. Once a team offers a tender that amount is counted against the cap until the rescind the tender or agree to a contract with the tendered player.

6 hours ago, babababa said:

Why are you talking about DTs, QBs, and WRs?

The data supports the statement. Every team paying a big money running back has come to regret it. Until the league changes philosophy and rules, it just doesn’t make sense.

pretty hilarious to see CJ Anderson come off of the street overweight and keep Todd Gurley on the bench on the way to the super bowl, right?

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Why are you talking about DTs, QBs, and WRs?

The data supports the statement. Every team paying a big money running back has come to regret it. Until the league changes philosophy and rules, it just doesn’t make sense.

pretty hilarious to see CJ Anderson come off of the street overweight and keep Todd Gurley on the bench on the way to the super bowl, right?

There are very few special RBs that deserve long term deals and significant commitment, even then, it’s a risk. Cook doesn’t have a special or unique skill set, he’s a good player but comes with huge injury risk. He also fell off significantly at the end of the year. Blaming OL or injuries for his fall off doesn’t excuse him of this relative to if he’s worth being paid as what will likely now be top 3 RB money.