Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

1 hour ago, joeybrowner47 said:

I’ll give you guys credit for caring.. it’s gonna take me awhile. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I’ve been alive for 43 years and it’s always the same thing every year. Rinse and repeat. Uggh I’m thankful for alcohol 

I was trying to think of something to post, but you’ve expressed my thoughts perfectly.  It’s going to be a while before I care about this team.  My interest this season was minimal and now it’s in negative numbers.

Good grief, you have six days to prepare for a well rested top seed team, traveling from as far south As you can be, back to Minnesota, then going as far west as you can go, and your OC is off interviewing for another job?

I was so sure of the outcome that I watched a whole 2 minutes.  From Kendrick’s pick to the field goal to the kneel down before half.  Hey, at least I go into the off-season with my last memories being good ones.

My interest in the Vikings was high after hiring Zimmer, but it’s been dwindling every year.  Like PurpleChillPill says - they don’t give you a reason to care.

I guess we have no money to make a “splash” in free agency.

Have fun with your mock drafts.  It’s not my cup of tea.  I know, I know, why do you hang around this forum if you don’t do mock drafts.  Well the quality and knowledge of forum members can’t be beat.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and analysis.  At times it’s more fun than watching the games.

Catch up with you again, maybe in April, or wake me when September comes.

• Like 2

Everson Griffen noted the team sticking by him when he needed time away to deal with mental health issues in 2018 and said he hopes things work out in a way that allows him to remain with the Vikings.

Griffen: “I want to be here. I love this team. I love this organization. They took great care of me when I needed it the most. I want to be a Viking. We’ll see what happens.”

The Vikings fired defensive coordinator George Edwards on Sunday, so there are changes coming on that side of the ball in Minnesota. It remains to be seen if Griffen’s departure will be among them.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/everson-griffen-wants-to-stay-with-vikings/

18 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

We honestly just have to see some of these young guys step up. Watts, Weatherly, and Odenigbo all will most likely be starters next year. At least the DE’s will probably battle for a spot. 

Holten Hill has to stay out of trouble, Hughes has to stay healthy. 

Samia might just have to start next year, along with Irv Smith. 

We might just have to gamble and move O’Niell or Udoh to the other tackle spot and take a chance. 

This is the year where we have to hit on an early draft pick that can make an impact. We see it every year. Take a chance. 

I agree.  I think it's just a matter of time for the young pups to grow up.  The future of this team is still awfully young, with many significant contributors next year still 25 or under...look at the list:

21 - Smith, Mattison

22 - Hill, Hughes, Bisi Johnson

23 - Holmes, Watts, Boyd

24  - O'Neill, Bradbury, Cook

25 - Jaleel, Ifeadi, Hunter

I also expect more contributions from Oli Udoh and Dru Samia, who are both just 22.  

The team (especially the defense) is certainly going to look different, but I expect them to be right in the thick of it again.  I still would like to see them take a QB in the first 3 rounds, but we'll have to see how that works out.  

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't know if he has to change it drastically, considering how it's worked for the Titans.  

One outlier team shouldn't distract you from the norm. 

A good passing attack is harder to defend than a good running attack. Not to mention, running the ball successfully still comes down to being better than the guy across the line of scrimmage. It’s a lot more difficult to scheme a successful running attack if you have inferior talent. Whereas it’s a lot easier to scheme and create variations in a passing attack that can help level the playing field. 

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

What that tells me is that Everson, Linval and Rhodes are not coming back, and we'll see to what happens with the coordinators...this may be an opportunity for the 2 coaches' sons in Adam Zimmer (35) and Klint Kubiak (32).

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

One outlier team shouldn't distract you from the norm. 

A good passing attack is harder to defend than a good running attack. Not to mention, running the ball successfully still comes down to being better than the guy across the line of scrimmage. It’s a lot more difficult to scheme a successful running attack if you have inferior talent. Whereas it’s a lot easier to scheme and create variations in a passing attack that can help level the playing field. 

But, you also have to scheme for your quarterback...and it's been proven that Kirk is far more effective when he doesn't have to throw it 40 times a game.  That's just not his strength.  If they can get a QB who can do that, that's all the better, but he ain't it.  

Being a pass centric team doesn’t mean that you have to throw it 40 times a game. 

Dhanahan and McVay tun the same scheme, but the understand the importance of using the pass to set up the run. 

This team’s best players on offense are the two wide receivers. They have more than one third of their salary cap tied up in the QB and his top three receiving options. It’s time that they started using them properly. 

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

What that tells me is that Everson, Linval and Rhodes are not coming back, and we'll see to what happens with the coordinators...this may be an opportunity for the 2 coaches' sons in Adam Zimmer (35) and Klint Kubiak (32).

Throw Reiff and Rudolph in that group too if you want to evaluate older players on higher salaries.