Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

10 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

I'm enthusiastic lol.  Which is the better scenario though, Udoh at RT or LT?  Also, has Kline played LG before?

I’d probably move ONeill to the left side. He’s the better athlete, the more experienced player, and if memory serves me correctly, ONeill played LT in college while Udoh was a RT. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d probably move ONeill to the left side. He’s the better athlete, the more experienced player, and if memory serves me correctly, ONeill played LT in college while Udoh was a RT. 

He was indeed a left tackle in his final year at Pitt.

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I agree. Cut Reiff. Let O’Neill start at LT. Find a vet, maybe Hill, to compete with Udoh at RT. I hate the the idea of being afraid to switch sides when this may be the better setup with the current roster. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I agree. Cut Reiff. Let O’Neill start at LT. Find a vet, maybe Hill, to compete with Udoh at RT. I hate the the idea of being afraid to switch sides when this may be the better setup with the current roster. 

I'm usually not a fan of moving guys from side to side, but I think moving O'Neill to the left might be the most prudent move...since he'll only be in his 3rd year, he might adjust quicker to the move than others might. 

I’d also be tempted to flip Kline to the left side. He has experience at left guard from his time in New England. 

O-line play is a lot about chemistry, and maybe keeping ONeill and Kline next to each other would be the right way to go. Same with having Udoh and Samia next to each other on the right side. They practiced all year next to each other. My only hesitation is that would be a very inexperienced right side. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I’d also be tempted to flip Kline to the left side. He has experience at left guard from his time in New England. 

O-line play is a lot about chemistry, and maybe keeping ONeill and Kline next to each other would be the right way to go. Same with having Udoh and Samia next to each other on the right side. They practiced all year next to each other. My only hesitation is that would be a very inexperienced right side. 

Inexperience is something this team has to be comfortable with moving forward given the cap limitations. That’s why I’m not convinced the current leadership is up for the task. At least Zimmer acknowledged this in his presser though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Inexperience is something this team has to be comfortable with moving forward given the cap limitations. That’s why I’m not convinced the current leadership is up for the task. At least Zimmer acknowledged this in his presser though.

Being inexperienced on the line again makes me nervous. I'd feel better about it if it was any other position group

• Like 1

One of the questions that keeps popping up for me is wondering if the Vikings haven't maxed out the starting talent on the team.  I keep reading here that if there had been a more imaginative offensive scheme - or - if the defense could've gotten better penetration from the DT position, the Vikings could've beaten the 49'er's.  While the Vikings have very good players in a number of positions, the only truly "great" player we have on this current squad is Harrison Smith. What I am saying is that no matter the game plan or scheme, the Vikings would never have beaten the 49'er's...period...end of story.  Their on the field talent is WAY better than the Vikings. 

The other reality I've come to realize is that there are other teams, besides SF that have significantly better talent than the Vikings; specifically, everybody else that's still playing, plus Baltimore.  Maybe even Philly if they were healthy. In other words, the Vikings are good enough to win 9 to 12 games a season...and inevitably get clobbered in the playoffs.

What's going to turn things around?  Probably the biggest factor is going to be dumb, stupid luck.  Because of being in cap hell, the Vikings will have to rely on hitting on every draft pick with someone who will be a significant contributor.  The other factor will be in letting go of good players and restructuring a lot of others. 

No brain decisions would be to say goodbye to Rhodes, Elflein, and Reiff.

Starting to hurt decisions would be to cut Rudolph, Griffen, Joseph.

Highly unpopular decisions would be to not resign Waynes, Harris and Alexander...Trade Anthony Barr for picks...consider trading Thielen for picks while you still can.

Restructure the hell out of Kirk's contract.  Make Cook a good offer, but don't make him the highest paid running back.

Upgrades...according to priority...1. Left Tackle. (If Udoh can move in there great.)  2. Left Guard (perhaps Samia...but don't be afraid to be bold here.) 3. DT (A younger version of Joseph.) 4. Safety. (Harris will be hard to replace) 5. Back up QB. (Mannion did nothing for me in the week 17 game.)

After all these changes...should they occur...the Vikings may only win 6 or 7 games in 2020.  However, with two lucky drafts and some really smart and lucky maneuvering, the Vikings will rebound in 2021.  But will they be able to defeat SF, GB, KC, TN in the playoffs/Super bowl??? 

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

One of the questions that keeps popping up for me is wondering if the Vikings haven't maxed out the starting talent on the team.  I keep reading here that if there had been a more imaginative offensive scheme - or - if the defense could've gotten better penetration from the DT position, the Vikings could've beaten the 49'er's.  While he Vikings have very good players in a number of positions, the only truly "great" player we have on this current squad is Harrison Smith. What I am saying is that no matter the game plan or scheme, the Vikings would never have beaten the 49'er's...period...end of story.  Their on the field talent is WAY better than the Vikings. 

The other reality I've come to realize is that there are other teams, besides SF that have significantly better talent than the Vikings; specifically, everybody else that's still playing, plus Baltimore.  In other words, the Vikings are good enough to win 9 to 12 games a season...and inevitably get clobbered in the playoffs.

What's going to turn things around?  Probably the biggest factor is going to be dumb, stupid luck.  Because of being in cap hell, the Vikings will have to rely on hitting on every draft pick with someone who will be a significant contributor.  The other factor will be in letting go of good players and restructuring a lot of others. 

No brain decisions would be to say goodbye to Rhodes, Elflein, and Reiff.

Starting to hurt decisions would be to cut Rudolph, Griffen, Joseph.

Highly unpopular decisions would be to not resign Waynes, Harris and Alexander...Trade Anthony Barr for picks...consider trading Thielen for picks while you still can.

Restructure the hell out of Kirk's contract.  Make Cook a good offer, but don't make him the highest paid running back.

Upgrades...according to priority...1. Left Tackle. (If Udoh can move in there great.)  2. Left Guard (perhaps Samia...but don't be afraid to be bold here.) 3. DT (A younger version of Joseph.) 4. Safety. (Harris will be hard to replace) 5. Back up QB. (Mannion did nothing for me in the week 17 game.)

After all these changes...should they occur...the Vikings may only win 6 or 7 games.  However, with two luck drafts and some really smart maneuvering, the Vikings will rebound in 2021.  But will they be able to defeat SF, GB, KC, TN in the playoffs/Super bowl??? 

I'm with you, other than I think Diggs and Hunter are great players. I think this is a good team, not a great team. And, other than luck, I don't see a clear path to greatness with this roster. Oh, and no way I pay Cook real money. I'd trade him for a 1st or 2nd.