Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The likelihood of rookies actually contributing early is probably significantly less given Covid19. No OTAs. Who knows what camp will look like too.

From that standpoint I don't even think there will be a season but I'm trying my best to not think about Covid right now when possible, this seems like a good place to try and get away from it.

But yea this is definitely the wrong draft to be looking for multiple contributors, I mentioned before we will probably need to change up our strategy a bit this draft.

P.s stay safe my southern friends

Edited by BWG VIKE

2 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

From that standpoint I don't even think there will be a season but I'm trying my best to not think about Covid right now when possible, this seems like a good place to try and get away from it.

But yea this is definitely the wrong draft to be looking for multiple contributors, I mentioned before we will probably need to change up our strategy a bit this draft.

I don’t think it’s the wrong draft. Now, you just have to be really good at breaking down a player by watching his film. Could really benefit some teams if players start to slide or players that don’t get as much attention. 

This draft will be even more of a crapshoot than normal, considering there isn't going to be nearly as much character evaluation as was done in the past.  There might be some players that slide even further because of previous character issues, and others will be drafted higher on production, but may not fit in with the character of the team or may have unknown character issues.  The key for teams will be how much information the scouts were able to glean from the schools and other personal contacts prior to this situation.  Scouts will probably be even more highly relied on than in the past, since the coaches and GMs may not have been able to get in front of the players without any pro days or in-person visits.  

I remember watching the 30 for 30 on the 1983 draft (the Elway affair) and seeing the commissioner announcing the picks to a hotel conference room full of NFL front office types.  He took a puff of his cigarette, put it in an ashtray, and walked to the podium to announce the picks.  I'm surprised it was even filmed tbh.  I think, in reality, there's as good a chance this draft of getting talent as there ever was.  I think some of this deep diving is counterproductive at times and they're putting too much effort into something that is a crap shoot for the most part anyway.  If the guy can dominate in college, he's got a good chance of playing well in the pros (not Elflein, but anyway).  Beyond that, it's just guesswork and luck anyway.  

The Vikings have always been high on valuing solid character traits, especially under The Wilfs.  Their scouts do a better job of looking at those aspects early in the screening process.  So, if there's any advantage of one team over another, missing a chance to interview the players now, will only give The Vikings a small advantage over teams that don't look for that early, and just look at the stats.

This is a REALLY deep draft of very good athletes in the 2nd and third tiers below the handful of absolute highest level.  THAT, together with The Vikings having so many draft choices, will land them a lot of talented young players with good upsides, that will be able to contribute in the long-term for this team.  That something they needed badly, given so many of their key players were creeping up to their 30s, or were already well into them.  Maybe only one or two will start right away, but 3-5 should be contributing significantly by the second half of the season.

Hercules Mata’afa, Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, Shamar Stephen, Michael Pierce, and Armon Watts. Could even throw Ifeadi Odenigbo in there. 

There’s a lot more potential than production on that list, but it’s not a position I see the team focusing on early. Unless you have a Sharrif Floyd situation, where someone too good to pass up falls. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Hercules Mata’afa, Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, Shamar Stephen, Michael Pierce, and Armon Watts. Could even throw Ifeadi Odenigbo in there. 

There’s a lot more potential than production on that list, but it’s not a position I see the team focusing on early. Unless you have a Sharrif Floyd situation, where someone too good to pass up falls. 

So basically, if Kinlaw is there seems to be the the only scenario Vikings drop a 1st on a d-tackle.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Well, this is his one big money shot at his age, so I wouldn't blame him for asking for everything he could possibly get.

I think it's smarter to move on from him. He's already 29 and has had a couple good seasons but we already have a safety about the same age still playing at an all pro level.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Not counting Odenigbo, none of those players offer any ability to get after the QB and cause havoc in the backfield. 

Holmes and Mata’afa have offered nothing so far with little committments to them.

I don’t see a DT in round one simply due to the lack of depth at the position in round one. But if someone like Gallimore is there in round two, how do you not consider him? 

• Like 1