Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

9 hours ago, swede700 said:

I just can't agree.  It's a difference of opinion.  I feel it was a move that had to be made...even if it's just for the sake of the other players in the locker-room.  It is defensible, as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe if the compensation wasn’t a first round pick. I’d agree with you if it was a day 2 pick that was moved. Trading a first round pick for a mediocre QB with bad knees is just a bad move. It wasn’t worth it to try and salvage a season. A QB like Bradford isn’t going to do that, that was already proven on two different teams. Why would MN have been any different. It was an extremely short sighted move and Spielman clearly overrated the talent of this team and coaching staff. Injuries didn’t help the OL that year so it is amazing that Bradford actually held up.

If that trade doesn’t happen, Watson or Mahomes are very possibly wearing purple right now at a much cheaper rate than Cousins.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Maybe if the compensation wasn’t a first round pick. I’d agree with you if it was a day 2 pick that was moved. Trading a first round pick for a mediocre QB with bad knees is just a bad move. It wasn’t worth it to try and salvage a season. A QB like Bradford isn’t going to do that, that was already proven on two different teams. Why would MN have been any different. It was an extremely short sighted move and Spielman clearly overrated the talent of this team and coaching staff. Injuries didn’t help the OL that year so it is amazing that Bradford actually held up.

If that trade doesn’t happen, Watson or Mahomes are very possibly wearing purple right now at a much cheaper rate than Cousins.

Well that's cool n all..but we DO have Cousins this year..and I'm excited to see what the team can do!

That's likely going to be enough money to bring Everson back if he's willing to take about 1/2 of that to leave some additional room for any other maneuvers that might need to be made in case of injury.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

So maybe we can sign a free agent or two now.

bUt I tHoUgHt ThE vIkInGs DiDn'T hAvE eNoUgH mOnEy FoR tHeIr pIcKs...

-----

It's been a while since I had to dust off my cap knowledge, but vindication feels pretty sweet.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RpMc said:

bUt I tHoUgHt ThE vIkInGs DiDn'T hAvE eNoUgH mOnEy FoR tHeIr pIcKs...

-----

It's been a while since I had to dust off my cap knowledge, but vindication feels pretty sweet.

It just so happens too that they have 3 spots left on the 90-man roster.  

3. Vikings trade for Jaguars DE Yannick Ngakoue

Minnesota owned the quantity game on draft day, making a whopping 15 picks, including nine on the defensive side of the ball. Among those selections: Cornerbacks Jeff Gladney, Cameron Dantzler and Harrison Hand. The best way they can help out such a young crop of cover men is to beef up a pass rush that's got Danielle Hunter and not much else. This team is entering a couple-year window with Kirk Cousins, Mike Zimmer, etc., and their offense should be fine now that Justin Jefferson has replaced Stefon Diggs, but Ngakoue would solve their need for an Everson Griffen replacement both in 2020 and for years to come. They've got plenty of extra draft capital in 2021 to entice Jacksonville.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ten-moves-nfl-teams-should-make-after-the-2020-draft-including-five-big-name-trades/?fbclid=IwAR3RlZRCmzC6nSWxdwgFZ582D-4pTmdVwtynzRW8w5pvk9BMGhY9k7noeec

Assuming that they could get it to work cap wise, would a trade for Yannick Ngakoue interest you? What would you give up? The article also lists the Browns signing Everson Griffen as a move that should be made.

Gah, the large print there made me think that actually happened.

No interest in Ngakoue. He’s an undersized pass rusher, a LEO or 3-4 OLB. Bad against the run. Even if they did move to a Seahawks style under front, they could use Barr and Hunter as the edge rushers (with Wilson, Gedeon or Dye as a starting LB next to Kendricks). 

If they’re going to invest in pass rush, I’d much prefer Clowney. Very good pass rusher and strong against the run. They could use him as a base DE in Griffen’s spot and have him line up inside in nickel, where he’s very hard to deal with. Bring in Odenigbo as the nickel DE and find a 3-tech who can actually beat a guard (hopefully Lynch).

Clowney hasn’t had much of a market for the $20M+ he was looking for, so maybe they could sign him for a Zadarius Smith like deal adjusted for the rising cap, $17-18M AAV long term. Make room by extending Harris to lower his number, extending / restructuring Hunter, and cutting Elflein.

• Like 3

@Krauser clowney would certainly be an exciting addition,  but I'm not sure he'd be able to live up to the hype.

He's a really interesting case at this point in his career, as he never really developed into the pass rusher he was projected to be (injuries slowed him down quite a bit). He's become a dominant run defender however and still seems to have games where he can completely take over as a rusher. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't still have a peak year in him, but with long term investment in him I think you're paying for his ceiling, which feels like a mistake.

More to the point though, I personally would like to see any additional moves directed toward helping the offese, and more specifically, Cousins. I'm not big into over investing in a guard, but Scherff or Thuney would provide a pretty big boost to the line.

18 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Sounds like Clowney is likely a Seahawk or Titan - if Griffen does indeed sign elsewhere, what other veteran options would be out there that might be worth exploring?

Well they did sign Zettel... Dont know if that's meaningful tbh, but tis something

Wake and Michel Bennett stand out as intriguing options to me. Marcus Golden maybe as well, but isn't he more of stand up rusher?

Names from this list, so a fairly crude search.

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-nfl-free-agents-list/

Edited by Dolmonite26

35 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

@Krauser clowney would certainly be an exciting addition,  but I'm not sure he'd be able to live up to the hype.

He's a really interesting case at this point in his career, as he never really developed into the pass rusher he was projected to be (injuries slowed him down quite a bit). He's become a dominant run defender however and still seems to have games where he can completely take over as a rusher. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't still have a peak year in him, but with long term investment in him I think you're paying for his ceiling, which feels like a mistake.

More to the point though, I personally would like to see any additional moves directed toward helping the offese, and more specifically, Cousins. I'm not big into over investing in a guard, but Scherff or Thuney would provide a pretty big boost to the line.

Yeah a guard is a bigger need. I'd give up picks (say, a 3rd and a 6th) for a high level starter in his prime like Thuney or Scherff. The Vikings could afford to pay them.

Clowney isn't an elite pass rusher but he's a blue chip player at a high value position. Graded as the 9th best edge last year, just behind Hunter and Cam Jordan. I'd be willing to pay him too, but there's no chance that happens. 

• Like 1