Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

On 1/28/2020 at 8:23 AM, swede700 said:

FAs are meant to fill in gaps, not redo your entire team...and tell me the last team that also re-did their entire offensive line through FA and won the Super Bowl?  I'm waiting.

This. Bradbury should benefit greatly from a year to get stronger and become a complete center, him and O'Neil look good so far. Find a serviceble LG and it should be a decent unit depending on if whos at LT.

21 hours ago, Beavis said:

This. Bradbury should benefit greatly from a year to get stronger and become a complete center, him and O'Neil look good so far. Find a serviceble LG and it should be a decent unit depending on if whos at LT.

Dru Samia hopefully got stronger since he was drafted and will be ready to step in too.  I think his attitude alone would be contagious and a real asset on the Oline.

• Like 1

What would you fine fellows think about trading a later pick for Josh Rosen?  Still young, probably needs a fresh start in a situation that isn't bottom dweller.  He didn't look great in Miami and they will obviously invest a high pick at QB this time around, both of which will make it easier to trade for him.  Something worth looking into if the opportunity (or willingness) to draft a QB isn't there.

Edited by Hyperborean

13 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

What would you fine fellows think about trading a later pick for Josh Rosen?  Still young, probably needs a fresh start in a situation that isn't bottom dweller.  He didn't look great in Miami and they will obviously invest a high pick at QB this time around, both of which will make it easier to trade for him.  Something worth looking into if the opportunity (or willingness) to draft a QB isn't there.

Nah. This teams gonna change a good deal the next couple years. Doesn't feel like a good time to trade draft picks imo.

• Like 1

per over the cap:

player                        2020 dead money             2020  cap savings             age

E. Griffen                     $800,000                             $13,100,000                    32   

L. Joseph                    $2,400,00                             $10,550,000                   31       

X. Rhodes                   $4,800,000                           $8,100,000                      29

A.Barr                          $10,400,000                         $2,300,000                     27

H. Smith                      $2,000,000                           $8,750,000                     31

R. Reiff                        $4,400,000                           $8,800,000                      31

K.Rudolph                  $5,800,000                            $3,025,000                     30

J.Kline                        $4,466,667                            $1,616,666                    30

S. Stephen                 $2,666,667                            $2,366,666                    28

P. Elflein                     $234,210                               $2,144,000                     25

I post these names not because I advocate for the cut of all (or even most) but because they are older and have high cap values.  They are POSSIBLE cuts and I just thought I would list them for a basis for our opinions.  It will be hard to cut any of them (except Rhodes, that's very easy) but as a GM, that is Spielman's job.  I don't really envy him the task.  Now, the salary, maybe I do xD, but I digress.

Personally, I think the Barr and Rudolph extensions recently were irresponsible.  I understand it was done out of a "Super Bowl window closing" desperation, but those contracts are hurting the team now.  Those two likely stay unless they are traded, and I don't know how keen Spielman will be to do that right after he gave them extensions. 

Harrison Smith actually is a good value, and so good that the man next to him at safety doesn't necessarily have to be a star.  Don't get me wrong, I like how Anthony Harris has progressed, and I think he deserves the money he's going to get in free agency, I just don't know if it's the wisest decision for us to be the team to give him that contract.  If, after cuts, it makes more financial sense, that's great.  I would love to have him back.  We'll see if it works out for us. Free agency starts on March 18 and the Draft is April 23 so that makes it tough.

Who else?  Stephen is as expensive to pay as let go basically.  Not a difference maker but if we need the body, so be it I guess.  Elflein would save us a lot of money and isn't much of a football player, so just go.  Reiff would have to be replaced via the draft and he'd better be.  I think Grifen and Joseph HAVE to go.  Too much money, on the wrong side of 30, and we need the cap space for FAs.

My opinions only of course.  Look forward to seeing yours.

Edited by Hyperborean

10 hours ago, Hyperborean said:

per over the cap:

player                        2020 dead money             2020  cap savings             age

E. Griffen                     $800,000                             $13,100,000                    32   

L. Joseph                    $2,400,00                             $10,550,000                   31       

X. Rhodes                   $4,800,000                           $8,100,000                      29

A.Barr                          $10,400,000                         $2,300,000                     27

H. Smith                      $2,000,000                           $8,750,000                     31

R. Reiff                        $4,400,000                           $8,800,000                      31

K.Rudolph                  $5,800,000                            $3,025,000                     30

J.Kline                        $4,466,667                            $1,616,666                    30

S. Stephen                 $2,666,667                            $2,366,666                    28

P. Elflein                     $234,210                               $2,144,000                     25

I post these names not because I advocate for the cut of all (or even most) but because they are older and have high cap values.  They are POSSIBLE cuts and I just thought I would list them for a basis for our opinions.  It will be hard to cut any of them (except Rhodes, that's very easy) but as a GM, that is Spielman's job.  I don't really envy him the task.  Now, the salary, maybe I do xD, but I digress.

Personally, I think the Barr and Rudolph extensions recently were irresponsible.  I understand it was done out of a "Super Bowl window closing" desperation, but those contracts are hurting the team now.  Those two likely stay unless they are traded, and I don't know how keen Spielman will be to do that right after he gave them extensions. 

Harrison Smith actually is a good value, and so good that the man next to him at safety doesn't necessarily have to be a star.  Don't get me wrong, I like how Anthony Harris has progressed, and I think he deserves the money he's going to get in free agency, I just don't know if it's the wisest decision for us to be the team to give him that contract.  If, after cuts, it makes more financial sense, that's great.  I would love to have him back.  We'll see if it works out for us. Free agency starts on March 18 and the Draft is April 23 so that makes it tough.

Who else?  Stephen is as expensive to pay as let go basically.  Not a difference maker but if we need the body, so be it I guess.  Elflein would save us a lot of money and isn't much of a football player, so just go.  Reiff would have to be replaced via the draft and he'd better be.  I think Grifen and Joseph HAVE to go.  Too much money, on the wrong side of 30, and we need the cap space for FAs.

My opinions only of course.  Look forward to seeing yours.

Elflein aka Farva from Super Troopers isn't that hard to cut.. Been a liability all season.

Philosophy question.  Has the salary cap hurt or helped?  I'm torn.  I think it's hurt players on the whole, but it's made more teams competitive.  Yet on the other side, the football seems more boring, more conservative to me.  What do y'all think??

19 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Mostly agree, but I'd cut Stephen because he's a waste of roster spot imo. Just not a good player

I disagree.  He's not a good player to be playing at 3-tech, but he was very good as Linval's backup.  If Armon Watts isn't ready to take over yet, I slide Stephen back over to NT if Linval is cut.