Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

22 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

My feeling is that Cousins and Cook get new deals and all cap space will be managed to keeping those two around. Maybe they bring back a free agent DB or two, but that is my epxectation for the offseason. The draft class will have to be phenomenal. 

My feeling is that if they go that route we are fubared.  Cousins needs to play this deal out.  NO extension please.  Cook needs to honour his rookie deal as well.  Otherwise package him up for Detroits 1st round pick.

I want to keep Cook, but not if it handcuffs us going forward.  Cousins hasn't shown me what we expect here and that's a Superbowl or nothing.  In previous drafts our 1st round picks havent really panned out.  The latter picks have been good to excellent. And legendary UDFAs.  Let's start drafting QBs in the 1st round until we find a great one. That's step 1.

Vikings fans have had enough.  No more chances, we want a Superbowl.  Build it right.  

Looking back would make you sick how many QBs we missed or passed on.  Disgusting. We had 1 QB in my lifetime watching this team.  Since 1990, we had Brett Favre (2009).  Nobody else since Fran Tarkington.  How sad is that? 2 QBs in franchise history

Edited by Viking Penguin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Viking Penguin said:

My feeling is that if they go that route we are fubared.  Cousins needs to play this deal out.  NO extension please.  Cook needs to honour his rookie deal as well.  Otherwise package him up for Detroits 1st round pick.

I want to keep Cook, but not if it handcuffs us going forward.  Cousins hasn't shown me what we expect here and that's a Superbowl or nothing.  In previous drafts our 1st round picks havent really panned out.  The latter picks have been good to excellent. And legendary UDFAs.  Let's start drafting QBs in the 1st round until we find a great one. That's step 1.

Vikings fans have had enough.  No more chances, we want a Superbowl.  Build it right.  

Looking back would make you sick how many QBs we missed or passed on.  Disgusting. We had 1 QB in my lifetime watching this team.  Since 1990, we had Brett Favre (2009).  Nobody else since Fran Tarkington.  How sad is that? 2 QBs in franchise history

Warren Moon had a few good years and so did Culpepper. Cunningham in 98 was also great. 

I thought Cousins was surprisingly very good this season. Like Culpepper he likes to fumble the ball, but other than that he was deadly at points and it would be worth it to extend the guy. I wish the team could draft a 1st round QB and have the guy pan out, but it's hard to bank on that and expect the play to be at a level higher than Cousins is playing right now. 

With Cook, I've already argued that I would extend him so long as he's not looking to break the bank. I think he would honor his rookie deal if the team needs him to, but I'd want to give him the idea that he was valued here in Minnesota. That idea extends to Cousins to. 

If neither of these players had proved themselves worthy of an extension we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

That said, bolstering the O-line would help both of these players. The 49ers beat us in the trenches. We need to counter this or the results will be the same if we're fortunate enough to be in the same position next year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I really, really, prefer a Cook trade to a Cook signing. But I will understand if they sign him.....

I prefer trading Cook too and I frankly don’t understand why they would sign him now. Cook doesn’t have much ground to stand on and the position has been so devalued over the years. If they can get a super team friendly deal, sure, maybe that works. Otherwise, his end of year production suggests he’s either a fairly ordinary RB or the OL is in such bad shape in which case, why not do everything to beef up the OL by moving an asset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viking Penguin said:

We certainly do, but we've continually had chances, and there aren't many teams that can say that.  The Cardinals had their one chance and they blew it...and haven't sniffed it since, despite Fitz still being there.  

Consistency is what is likely going to eventually get you there, especially if you don't have a HOF QB behind center.  It took 7 years in KC for Andy Reid to finally get the trophy and they've been to the playoffs 6 of the 7 years he's been there.  If they stick with Zimmer, I think it's far more likely that they win the Super Bowl than if they fire him, because firing him signifies starting over again, and lord knows how many times that's happened now in the 35 years I've been paying attention.  

I've said since this discussion began, which was far earlier than this thread was created that he should get another 3 years minimum before I begin to consider starting over, because he's been getting there and he's not that far away now and they finally might begin to have some consistency on the offensive side of the ball, which hasn't happened his entire time here.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Just read something that the Vikings could be looking at Aqib Talib, Johnathan Joseph or Josh Norman as guys who are either free agents or are cut because of the cap.  Would be great if they could bring in one of them at CB I feel and some how resign Harris.  They also said cutting Xaiver Rhodes and just restructure the deal with Everson Griffen instead of cutting him.  And Dalvin Cook I assume after this next season he is gone at RB, gets injured way too much for them to keep him for a long term deal I feel.  If that is the case do they look RB in this draft?  Could get a fine one and maybe even trade Cook to give them some room to play this year.  

If we could get JK Dobbins 1st round or Swift I would not mind that at all.  Then get what a 2nd rounder for Cook potentially or a late 1st in a trade?  That would be ideal, then the Vikings could target a OT and OG 2nd round like Prince Tega Wanogho and John Simpson.  Would not mind this OL lineup, and if they decide to cut Reiff as well Prince as a starter I would trust at LT in this offense, he or Austin Jackson because the others are all probably gone by the Vikings pick.  

Brian O'Neill/ Oli Udoh
Josh Kline/ Dru Samia
Garrett Bradbury
John Simpson
Riley Reiff/ Prince Tega Wanogho

15 hours ago, swede700 said:

We certainly do, but we've continually had chances, and there aren't many teams that can say that.  The Cardinals had their one chance and they blew it...and haven't sniffed it since, despite Fitz still being there.  

Consistency is what is likely going to eventually get you there, especially if you don't have a HOF QB behind center. 

Consistency is hard to come by in the age of the salary cap.  I think the key will be, if Cousins is extended, can it be for no salary increase, an elimination of the no trade clause, and reduction of the amount of the salary that is guaranteed?

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Just read something that the Vikings could be looking at Aqib Talib, Johnathan Joseph or Josh Norman as guys who are either free agents or are cut because of the cap.  Would be great if they could bring in one of them at CB I feel and some how resign Harris.  They also said cutting Xaiver Rhodes and just restructure the deal with Everson Griffen instead of cutting him.  And Dalvin Cook I assume after this next season he is gone at RB, gets injured way too much for them to keep him for a long term deal I feel.  If that is the case do they look RB in this draft?  Could get a fine one and maybe even trade Cook to give them some room to play this year.  

If we could get JK Dobbins 1st round or Swift I would not mind that at all.  Then get what a 2nd rounder for Cook potentially or a late 1st in a trade?  That would be ideal, then the Vikings could target a OT and OG 2nd round like Prince Tega Wanogho and John Simpson.  Would not mind this OL lineup, and if they decide to cut Reiff as well Prince as a starter I would trust at LT in this offense, he or Austin Jackson because the others are all probably gone by the Vikings pick.  

Brian O'Neill/ Oli Udoh
Josh Kline/ Dru Samia
Garrett Bradbury
John Simpson
Riley Reiff/ Prince Tega Wanogho

The Vikings will certainly not get a 1st or 2nd round pick for Cook, because of the same reasons you want to get rid of him.

As far as the Vikings' pending free agents, here's how the Athletic ranks them if they appear in the top 100 (which should give us a little gauge on how much they'll cost/expect to get):

#19: Anthony Harris (#2 safety)

#34: Trae Waynes (#4 CB)

#65: Mackensie Alexander (#11 CB)

No other Vikings pending free agents were in the top 100.

Edited by swede700

Just now, swede700 said:

As far as the Vikings' pending free agents, here's how the Athletic ranks them if they appear in the top 100 (which should give us a little gauge on how much they'll cost/expect to get):

#19: Anthony Harris (#2 safety)

#34: Trae Waynes (#4 CB)

#65: Mackensie Alexander (#11 CB)

Funny enough, that’s the exact opposite order in which I’d put the importance to re-sign them. 

Over the next two weeks, I'll run through every team and the first five things they should be thinking about as they prepare for the new league year, which begins on March 18. 

Minnesota Vikings

1. Create some cap space.

2. Work on a Kirk Cousins extension.

3. Replenish the secondary.

4. Re-sign Dan Bailey.

5. Don't re-sign Dalvin Cook to a huge extension. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28648779/five-2020-offseason-moves-nfc-teams-bill-barnwell-predicts-trades-free-agency-cuts

• Like 1

Let's assume a situation arose where your GM screwed up and managed to lose Rhodes (cap casualty), Alexander, and Waynes...

which FA corners would you like targeted...

Worley, Josh Norman, Arthur Maulet, Trumaine Johnson, Brandon Carr, Jimmy Ward, Jimmy Smith, Johnathan Joseph, TJ Carrie

21 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Let's assume a situation arose where your GM screwed up and managed to lose Rhodes (cap casualty), Alexander, and Waynes...

which FA corners would you like targeted...

Worley, Josh Norman, Arthur Maulet, Trumaine Johnson, Brandon Carr, Jimmy Ward, Jimmy Smith, Johnathan Joseph, TJ Carrie

Any of them have experience and a good relationship with Zimmer?

• Like 1