Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

3 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

So, somewhat of a contrarian idea, but would letting Harris walk and extending Kerse instead be the savvy move?

Obviously this seems to require some bridge building, but the more I think about it, the more it feels like this might be the better option.

Kearse has zero interest in returning, so it would take more than bridge building.  

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Mike Hughes looked like he was going to see a decent amount of playing time as a rookie, until he messed up his knee. The Vikes will now be in a position where they can’t afford to spend first round picks on players who sit as rookies. The dynamics of roster management have changed significantly as a result of paying Cousins and recent draft classes. If you’re not going to play a rookie CB, take one later. 

With the amount of picks they have and the depth that is needed, I see them selecting a couple of CBs and maybe even a S.  While they may not all start (even if they take 1 early), they're going to be needed for depth in Year 1.  Mackensie didn't start in year 1, but he certainly still played...as will any CB they draft early.  None of the CBs they've drafted high "sat", they still played, even if they didn't start.  Waynes got nearly 20% of the snaps his rookie year, Mackensie got about 7%. I would expect a guy drafted in the first 2 rounds to get closer to, if not a little higher than Waynes' number.  Mackensie got held back because of his attitude more than his ability.  

On 2/13/2020 at 9:03 AM, swede700 said:

As far as the Vikings' pending free agents, here's how the Athletic ranks them if they appear in the top 100 (which should give us a little gauge on how much they'll cost/expect to get):

#19: Anthony Harris (#2 safety)

#34: Trae Waynes (#4 CB)

#65: Mackensie Alexander (#11 CB)

No other Vikings pending free agents were in the top 100.

This is a ranking for the entire league or just by position for this FA period?  I assume it is Waynes is the 34th best CB in the NFL etc....

And Josh Norman was just cut by the Redskins, if the Vikings could pick him up for cheap I would do that in a second.  Could resurrect his career in Minnesota.  That ESPN article was right on in him being cut, hopefully the Vikings can make that move.  

21 hours ago, swede700 said:

Kearse has zero interest in returning, so it would take more than bridge building.  

I mean it's was only a hypothetical.

Besides money talks. We dont really know the reason for the angst but it's seems to be related, at least partly, to his playing time. An offer extension that says, you're the starter could move things in the right direction

Edited by Dolmonite26
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

If there is a silver lining concerning our departing free agents, it's that we should be loaded up with 3rd round compensatory picks for Waynes and Harris and a decent pick for Alexander.

I assume that is only if we lose them all.  But say we get two 3rd round compensatory picks that could be pretty sweet.  Could get guys like Tony Pride Jr CB or Damon Arnette CB potentially and I would not mind that.  Or guys like  Saahdig Charles OT/OG, Kenny Willekes DE, Denzel Mims WR, Charlie Heck UNC OT or JR Reed Georgia S.  So yes that would be a positive if we get two from that.

I would be shocked if Harris is not back, but Waynes and Alexander are as good as gone I think.  

1 hour ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Besides money talks. We dont really know the reason for the angst but it's seems to be related, at least partly, to his playing time. An extending that says, you're the starter could move things in the right direction

If they offered Kearse a lot of money, he would easily stay, but I think he knows his role in Minnesota isn't going to get much bigger and he's acting like it's his idea to leave.  "You're not breaking up with me, I'm breaking up with YOU!"

43 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

If they offered Kearse a lot of money, he would easily stay, but I think he knows his role in Minnesota isn't going to get much bigger and he's acting like it's his idea to leave.  "You're not breaking up with me, I'm breaking up with YOU!"

If they're offering a nice contract his role would be changing. He'd be taking Harris's position.

Besides. The real question is what are people thoughts on if the team opted to move forward with Kerse over Harris?

It could be half the cost, or maybe less and would give them more freedom to make things happen elsewhere on the roster.

I'm curious why Zimmer seemed to sour on Kerse as a player despite obvious develoment. Maybe he has some poor work habits, but from the information I have at hand, whatever team lands Kerse is going to be getting a very nice player

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

This is a ranking for the entire league or just by position for this FA period?  I assume it is Waynes is the 34th best CB in the NFL etc....

And Josh Norman was just cut by the Redskins, if the Vikings could pick him up for cheap I would do that in a second.  Could resurrect his career in Minnesota.  That ESPN article was right on in him being cut, hopefully the Vikings can make that move.  

I think it means Waynes is the 34th best free agent this year. 

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I assume that is only if we lose them all.  But say we get two 3rd round compensatory picks that could be pretty sweet.  Could get guys like Tony Pride Jr CB or Damon Arnette CB potentially and I would not mind that.  Or guys like  Saahdig Charles OT/OG, Kenny Willekes DE, Denzel Mims WR, Charlie Heck UNC OT or JR Reed Georgia S.  So yes that would be a positive if we get two from that.

I would be shocked if Harris is not back, but Waynes and Alexander are as good as gone I think.  

You do know those comp picks wouldn’t come until the 2021 draft right?

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 9:08 PM, Dolmonite26 said:

If they're offering a nice contract his role would be changing. He'd be taking Harris's position.

Besides. The real question is what are people thoughts on if the team opted to move forward with Kerse over Harris?

It could be half the cost, or maybe less and would give them more freedom to make things happen elsewhere on the roster.

I'm curious why Zimmer seemed to sour on Kerse as a player despite obvious develoment. Maybe he has some poor work habits, but from the information I have at hand, whatever team lands Kerse is going to be getting a very nice player

I'm not exactly advocating for Kearse to stay and Harris to go--I really hope we can keep Harris.  But I hate to see these rare late round picks that actually do develop take off to another team instead of staying when their value shoots up.  Of course, Harris is an original FA that developed into one of the best in the league this season.  This team can develop later round DEs, WRs and safeties, and maybe RBs.  The Olinemen and corners need to be that way too, but I guess you can't have it all.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:04 PM, VikeManDan said:

I think it means Waynes is the 34th best free agent this year. 

Correct.  He's #34 on the list of 100 free agents, all positions included.  (Which is kinda why I indicated him as #4 CB in parentheses, as that is where he is by position)

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:16 PM, Dolmonite26 said:

Besides money talks. We dont really know the reason for the angst but it's seems to be related, at least partly, to his playing time. An offer extension that says, you're the starter could move things in the right direction

What did him in is that Zimmer brought Sendejo back and put Andrew in ahead of him.  That would irritate me too, as it made it clear where he stood with Zimmer. 

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

What did him in is that Zimmer brought Sendejo back and put Andrew in ahead of him.  That would irritate me too, as it made it clear where he stood with Zimmer. 

Kearse never really played much at S. He got on the field as Cb in very specific packages. He’s become somewhat overrated but he should get an opportunity somewhere else if he can find it. I don’t think his role will be hard to replace, you could essentially give those CB reps to Holton Hill, who’s a better CB anyway.