Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Kearse never really played much at S. He got on the field as Cb in very specific packages. He’s become somewhat overrated but he should get an opportunity somewhere else if he can find it. I don’t think his role will be hard to replace, you could essentially give those CB reps to Holton Hill, who’s a better CB anyway.

He played more often at slot CB, but I wouldn't say that he didn't play much at S, considering for every 3 snaps he got at CB, he got 2 at S (as either a FS or in-the-box).  

Edited by swede700

On 2/12/2020 at 7:53 AM, Virginia Viking said:

Again, I don't think anyone here has advocated trading Diggs.  However, if the cap situation continues to be tight or even worse in 2021, there may be no other choice but to trade Diggs for draft picks, because of his value.  I suspect, if that were the case, a number of other very talented players would be traded or released.  Because of the seriousness of the cap situation the Vikings are one slip on a banana peel away from a complete rebuild.

And while we don't advocate his trading...it's certainly become a talker.  And if the Patriots come talking with their 1st round pick, I do it.  

Edited by swede700

Trading Diggs includes a $9M cap hit for this year, so would technically save us $5.5M - For a team that's as hard up against it as we are, my not wanting to give Kirk an extension to help our cap situation, and a first round pick on top of it.  I'd have to consider it.

On the flip side, I don't want to lose the caliber of player that Diggs is.

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Getting a first round pick for Diggs, only to need to turn around and replace Diggs makes zero sense. You don’t trade players of Diggs’ caliber. You build around them. 

So many other, lesser players that can be gotten rid of for cap purposes. 

That was exactly what was said of Percy.  They survived.  The reality is that, if the rumors are true, Diggs doesn't want to be there, you can't keep him and build around him, whether it makes sense to get a 1st round pick and then turn around and replace him or not.  You get the first round pick and replace him and move on.  Keeping players who don't want to be there can cause more harm than not.  

Edited by swede700

28 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No, but Percy certainly was as impactful a player, if not moreso, considering his impact as a kick returner.  

Not even remotely close.

Harvin’s best season came with a HOF QB having a career season force feeding him the ball. Diggs has been a consistent threat and creates space for other players without manufactured touches.

Harvin was a great talent, but saying he was as impactful is really undervaluing Diggs. 

as far as the trade goes - there’s no way they can go into the season with Thielen, Bisi, and a rookie as their receiving corps. No thank you.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Getting a first round pick for Diggs, only to need to turn around and replace Diggs makes zero sense. You don’t trade players of Diggs’ caliber. You build around them. 

So many other, lesser players that can be gotten rid of for cap purposes. 

I agree, you don’t trade Diggs. He’s much younger than Thielen and likely the better player going forward. a first round pick is tempting, but there isn’t anyone on the roster who can fill the spot creating yet another pressing need. All to save $6m, not worth it. 

28 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Not even remotely close.

Harvin’s best season came with a HOF QB having a career season force feeding him the ball. Diggs has been a consistent threat and creates space for other players without manufactured touches.

Harvin was a great talent, but saying he was as impactful is really undervaluing Diggs. 

as far as the trade goes - there’s no way they can go into the season with Thielen, Bisi, and a rookie as their receiving corps. No thank you.

Clearly, you guys and I are just going to disagree, as I feel you're both overvaluing Diggs.  They made the playoffs with a 2nd-yr QB, a 2nd yr Thielen, rookie Diggs, Mike Wallace, Jarius Wright, and Charles Johnson.  While he's a very good WR, if the right value in return comes along, he's expendable, as far as I'm concerned.    

And to address @vikingsrule's point, as I indicated before, it's not solely about saving $5.5M this year, it's about saving $15M the next 2 years after as well, because they're going to be in exactly the same spot next year as they are this year. Just getting rid of Rhodes, Griffen and Linval isn't going to all of sudden put them in cap heaven.  

All I'm saying is that, in order to give the team some flexibility to improve the team as a whole for the future, they may have to consider taking it if it comes up, however unlikely that may be.  Depending upon the direction they want to go, they could use that money saved in 2021 and 2022 to help extend guys like Cousins, Cook, Hill, Odenigbo, Harry, Brian O'Neill, and Mike Hughes or bring in FAs to strengthen at other positions.  

Why on earth would they use Diggs to free up money to resign Cook? Or Smith for that matter (my favorite Viking, btw 😊)?

You seem to be under the impression that Diggs is an expensive player. He’s not making top 10 money like Thielen. A top 10 talent at 27 years old on that deal is worth more than a late 1st.

Trading a young, underpriced, high impact player to resign an injury prone player at the most replaceable position in football, or an aging star would be a terrible use of the cap.

• Like 4