Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

35 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Why on earth would they use Diggs to free up money to resign Cook? Or Smith for that matter (my favorite Viking, btw 😊)?

You seem to be under the impression that Diggs is an expensive player. He’s not making top 10 money like Thielen. A top 10 talent at 27 years old on that deal is worth more than a late 1st.

Trading a young, underpriced, high impact player to resign an injury prone player at the most replaceable position in football, or an aging star would be a terrible use of the cap.

I'm not sure where you get that he's not making top-10 money, considering he's now making more money than Thielen (who certainly did make top-10 money a season ago).  Thielen's average salary number is higher because of when he signed his deal, but his cap number is lower, which puts him as #15 or #16.  In fact, Diggs has the highest cap number on the team next to Cousins of those players under contract and it's going to stay there for the remainder of his deal.  Thielen had his biggest cap number last year, but it's lower and he's making less money than Diggs from here on out.  

Edited by swede700

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm not sure where you get that he's not making top-10 money, considering he's now making more money than Thielen.  Thielen's average salary number is higher because of when he signed his deal, but his cap number is lower.  In fact, Diggs has the highest cap number on the team next to Cousins of those players under contract and it's going to stay there for the remainder of his deal.  Thielen had his biggest cap number last year, but it's lower and he's making less money than Diggs from here on out.  

That was the sticking point in my post? I was merely saying that he’s paid in line for what he provides on the field.

16 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

That was the sticking point in my post? I was merely saying that he’s paid in line for what he provides on the field.

I didn't address Cook because I'm not advocating for him to be extended either (as I've made clear in the past), but that is one option that they will be deciding on and may consider, so it certainly factors into the discussion.  Personally, I'd just let his contract play out and then ride Mattison and/or Boone out or draft someone else. 

As the 2nd highest cap number on the team, which takes up nearly 8% of the cap and such big holes on the roster at other positions, it warrants consideration, especially in conjunction with his possible desire to not want to be there.  I'm not sure where the issue lies with that observation, unless you believe there isn't any truth to the rumors (to play off his comment).

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

because they're going to be in exactly the same spot next year as they are this year.

No they’re not. Right now the Vikings payroll for 2021 is $177M. That’s $23M less than the proposed 2020 cap, and we all know that the cap will rise with a new CBA deal. And cutting Rhodes, Joseph, Griffen, Reiff, etc. doesn’t just free up cap space in 2020, it also creates cap space in 2021, as all of those players are currently on the books beyond 2020. Cutting any, or all of them creates more space in 2020, 2021, and 2022 than getting rid of Diggs at any point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Which of these guys would you have the most confidence in filling in for departing veterans (Pre-draft)? 

Hughes for Rhodes and/or Wayne's

Watts for Joseph 

Udoh for Reiff

Odenigbo for Griffen 

I'd rank them Watts, Hughes,  Udoh, Odenigbo.   

I’d probably flip Watts and Hughes simply for the fact that Rhodes was that bad last year. I think Hughes will be okay replacing Rhodes. Not sure who takes over at LCB to replace Waynes, might have to be a first rounder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikes635 said:

If we can not restructure E. Griffens contract, we should probably warm up to the idea he will be a cap casualty. He would free up more than 13mil cap space if we cut him

I'd be willing to bet he'd at least be very open-minded to restructure.

Vikings have been next to him in the good times and bad and helped him through his dark times a couple years ago. It's hard for me to see him go anywhere else.

But, business is business.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vikes635 said:

If we can not restructure E. Griffens contract, we should probably warm up to the idea he will be a cap casualty. He would free up more than 13mil cap space if we cut him

It all depends on whether his pride and ego will let him renegotiate.  He needs to make the decision on whether he wants to go anywhere else, and if not, that will include taking less money.  It's an unfortunate by-product of the system.  Who knows, maybe he'll want to go back to southern California and play for the Chargers or maybe home to the Cardinals.  

18 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Which of these guys would you have the most confidence in filling in for departing veterans (Pre-draft)? 

Hughes for Rhodes and/or Wayne's

Watts for Joseph 

Udoh for Reiff

Odenigbo for Griffen 

I'd rank them Watts, Hughes,  Udoh, Odenigbo.   

Good question. I think all could step in and have some success to be honest. I'd go Hughes, Odenigbo, Watts, and Udoh. I really like Udoh too. I'd almost be willing to gamble and move O'Neill to LT, cut Reiff, and slot Udoh in at RT. I'm just not so sure I'd want to move O'Neill since you need 2 good tackles anyways.

11 minutes ago, Classic said:

Are the Vikings really looking to move on from Diggs?

Hopefully not. It is all fan-speculation based on his cryptic twitter account as well as his missing two-days of practice earlier in the season (week 4 or 5 maybe?).

Edited by VikeManDan

8 minutes ago, Classic said:

Are the Vikings really looking to move on from Diggs?

I don't think they are looking to move on, but it's widely been discussed as an option, considering where they might want to go, as well as what Stefon's desire is.  If he doesn't want to be there, I'd fully expect them to try to accommodate him, if they can.  

46 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't think they are looking to move on, but it's widely been discussed as an option, considering where they might want to go, as well as what Stefon's desire is.  If he doesn't want to be there, I'd fully expect them to try to accommodate him, if they can.  

Where has this been widely discussed outside of a 1 week blip that he confirmed was resolved. This just isn't factual.