Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

12 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

If Cousins is looking to get the max contract that he can I'd probably let him walk

Agree.

If he didn't get it done in the first 3 years, I don't see him getting it done in the next 3-4 years with an aging team and potentially no Dalvin, an aging Thielen, a constantly annoyed Diggs, and no answer to a solid o-line in sight. I also have a feeling that we're not going to be far off from Hunter wanting a deal that pays him like the best DE's in the league instead of the extremely team friendly deal we have him for now (he's the 11th highest paid DE in the NFL).

I think he's the best answer to this team right now but we just don't have the money to sign Kirk to another huge deal and improve the team around him year-to-year. At the end of his next contract, we're going to be right in the same position with an aging team and no money.

Kirk was smarter than hell to only sign for 3 years. Now he's set to get paid again.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

11 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Kirk will be getting $100 mil guaranteed with his next deal. How the hell do we keep him and not cripple the team's cap for the next 3-5 years?

Now, I'm not saying I don't want him signed just curious as to how we'll do it and not have any money issues for the foreseeable future.

Rock...meet hard place!

Does Cousins deserve an extension? Most likely.  Will the Vikings be able to afford giving him one?  Will he accept less guaranteed money?  Will he accept the elimination of the no trade clause? 

As I think economically, Cousins contract on the books is pure liability for the Vikings because (a) the contract cannot be augmented because of the guaranteed money (yes, the can negotiate, but if Kirk says no...that's it...the Vikings are on the hook.); (b) because of the no trade clause, the Vikings cannot trade him for high value players or draft picks. 

Did Cousins play well last year?  Yes, better than I expected.  Do I want him to play even better? You bet.  Yet, his mere presence on the team ledger books makes things really difficult, right now, for team improvement.  The Vikings window of opportunity to win a Super Bowl in the near term seems less open then it was last season.  We'll see.

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The PED that Hill used was a substance used to try and mask the marijuana. So, suspension no longer possible for pot, I wouldn’t really worry about PEDs either. 

He's still immature. 

I feel like the Vikings arent going to be very active in FA. I think Minnesota will end up resigning Mack Alexander for around 7-8 APY. I also think they will end up getting Griffen back for a reasonable deal. Dejo also comes back i think. 

Outside FA names that i have my eye on are Prince Amukamara & Jonathan Joseph. 

6 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

I feel like the Vikings arent going to be very active in FA. I think Minnesota will end up resigning Mack Alexander for around 7-8 APY. I also think they will end up getting Griffen back for a reasonable deal. Dejo also comes back i think. 

Outside FA names that i have my eye on are Prince Amukamara & Jonathan Joseph. 

With Ham and Bailey signed and Harris tagged, do they even have any money to sign a free agent?

i expect Waynes and Alexander to walk. Maybe Griffen returns and I think they bring back Bailey. Doesn’t all of this essentially whipe out that $25 million in cap space. Might have to move on from Reiff if they want to do anything more than this.