Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

2 hours ago, babababa said:

The team isn't starting over -- just retooling. The youth movement is the retooling due to finances.

You don't hit the panic button and blow it all up just because of ONLY A FEW issues when you just lost to the team that went to the Super Bowl. These issues can still be addressed.

I don't see why the Vikings can't make the playoffs this year. This team still has a lot of good players. 

Plus, there's going to be an extra spot in the playoffs.  ;)

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Trifecta of stupidity:

Extend your above average QB
Trade away your best offensive player
Extend an injury prone RB that plays one of the most replaceable positions

If he's above average, why wouldn't you extend him?

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He should have been used less down the stretch in favor of Mattison. His efficiency numbers suggest he wasn’t very good in the second half off the year. He ran wild on some bad teams early on and was amazing week 2 against Green Bay, but I don’t know how you can’t be underwhelmed with consistently putting up below 4 YPC.

You mean 4.5 ypc. You could cherry pick games all you want for any other skill player too, but don't rewrite the end of the day statistic to fit your spin. I don't know why your'e underwhelmed considering -- again #7 in yards from scrimmage while being asked to carry the ball as much as he was. 

Being slowed down in the 2nd half of the season while still rushing for 4.5 and #7 overall yards from scrimmage just goes to show how great he was for most of the year. 

12 minutes ago, babababa said:

You mean 4.5 ypc. You could cherry pick games all you want for any other skill player too, but don't rewrite the end of the day statistic to fit your spin. I don't know why your'e underwhelmed considering -- again #7 in yards from scrimmage while being asked to carry the ball as much as he was. 

Being slowed down in the 2nd half of the season while still rushing for 4.5 and #7 overall yards from scrimmage just goes to show how great he was for most of the year. 

Every single game in November and December he was below 4 YPC. You cant have that fall off in efficiency if you expect to be a run oriented team. He averaged 5.8 in Sept, 4.9 in Oct, and 3.3 in both November and December. I’m sorry, but that is terrible.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Every single game in November and December he was below 4 YPC. You cant have that fall off in efficiency if you expect to be a run oriented team. He averaged 5.8 in Sept, 4.9 in Oct, and 3.3 in both November and December. I’m sorry, but that is terrible.

Yeah he got banged up and wasn’t the same late in the season. SOS plays into that as well. 

Plus like I keep saying around here, our OL needs to step its game up. We got dominated late in the season up front. Especially against SF. 

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree with that, but also, the line as a whole was worse in November and December.  I haven't done the review on the data, but I can't imagine the results from Mattison and Boone were all that different.

4 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Yeah he got banged up and wasn’t the same late in the season. SOS plays into that as well. 

Plus like I keep saying around here, our OL needs to step its game up. We got dominated late in the season up front. Especially against SF. 

Agreed on OL, but breaking the bank for a RB doesn’t fix the OL and I don’t know how the Vikes can afford to do so. SOS did play a role, which the numbers show the Vikes beating up on a number of bad teams and Cook having huge games. In games that mattered against good teams, he was knowwhere to be found, just like the rest of the offense. I have no issues letting Cook walk when his deal is up and letting Mattison be the guy.

5 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

When we go to a 17 game schedule, how much more important is OL strength going to be to a RB's success?  We really need to beef up our OL if we want not just a successful running attack, but passing attack as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I agree with that, but also, the line as a whole was worse in November and December.  I haven't done the review on the data, but I can't imagine the results from Mattison and Boone were all that different.

Smaller sample size of course. Mattison is at 5.1 in Sept, 4.7 in Oct, 4.5 in Nov and 3.8 in Dec. but of course, smaller sample size might benefit him versus Cook. 

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If he's that dependent on the line, then get a great line, and don't pay the RB.......What year has Cook been good in Nov and Dec? Or even healthy? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

When we go to a 17 game schedule, how much more important is OL strength going to be to a RB's success?  We really need to beef up our OL if we want not just a successful running attack, but passing attack as well.

I think having a strong stable of RBs is the best way to go for a longer season. But of course, OL always helps.

Edited by vikingsrule

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

If he's that dependent on the line, then get a great line, and don't pay the RB.......What year has Cook been good in Nov and Dec? Or even healthy? 

Last year was probably his first.  I'm personally not on the side of extending him at this point, but I imagine they think they can get him cheaper now than if they were to try and do it after the year.  I'm indifferent to the extension, even if it does happen.  I'd only be upset if they consider paying him Johnson/Gurley/Elliott money.  If you can get him on around $10M after this coming season, I'm okay with it.