Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Every single game in November and December he was below 4 YPC. You cant have that fall off in efficiency if you expect to be a run oriented team.

That depends. The Vikings went 4-2 in the games he played in Nov-Dec missing the final 2 games due to injury. In 2 of those other games he was limited due to that injury. He still carried the ball  287 times last season (#4) which proves that he was dependable until late in the year when he missed time. 

Aaron Jones also finished the year at 4.5 but had several games under 4 ypc. He also wasn't asked to carry the ball as much as Cook was at only 236 attempts. Nobody is doubting him. Should we ask Packer fans if he's worth an extension?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/28/report-packers-rb-aaron-jones-have-mutual-interest-in-contract-extension/

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Gross

It depends upon the cap again, but $10M is reasonable compensation...that's what Derrick Henry is making.  But, if they can get him for even less, that'd be even better.  While the RB position isn't as important as it used to be, certainly, I still think it's important.  Look what a difference it made to the Bears, thinking that they could get by with a rookie RB and getting rid of Jordan Howard.  They weren't the same.  And the Packers, for many years, have tried to get by with just no-name RBs.  They got by, but they're a better offense with Aaron Jones, especially with no WRs outside of Adams.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Anyone else a little surprised we haven't heard anything about Waynes? Haven't heard of any outside interest.

A little bit, but he was always going to be behind Jones in the signing order.  And he didn't help himself last year by having a so-so year, so he may not get as much as he thinks he should be getting.  

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It depends upon the cap again, but $10M is reasonable compensation...that's what Derrick Henry is making.  But, if they can get him for even less, that'd be even better.  While the RB position isn't as important as it used to be, certainly, I still think it's important.  Look what a difference it made to the Bears, thinking that they could get by with a rookie RB and getting rid of Jordan Howard.  They weren't the same.  And the Packers, for many years, have tried to get by with just no-name RBs.  They got by, but they're a better offense with Aaron Jones, especially with no WRs outside of Adams.

Cook falls right below Aaron Jones ($11.9M) in terms of valuation at $10.8M -- again:

https://overthecap.com/player/dalvin-cook/5627/

3 hours ago, upriser7 said:

Offering Cook a new contract/extension would probably an extremely stupid thing to do now but sigh...looks like Vikings are gonna do it.

Yeah, I don't like it at all. At least we have Mattison and Boone when he gets hurt/wears down by week 8.

Ugh.

With Waynes also departing, and talks of Harris being held as trade bait, I think we should be more worried with how quickly this defense has changed within the past month, to be honest. I really hope we can keep Alexander for continuity sake.

We're a contending team, but it feels like we're in 'blow it up' mode, although it's partly due to price of some of these guys. COVID-19 is going to make this a really short offseason, and the teams with chemistry are going to come out of the gate much stronger early in the season than the teams who've replaced players via the draft and FA.

Edited by joru1000
  • Like 1

I do agree, which is why it's going to be critical that they do bring back guys like Everson and Linval at reduced costs.  But even if not, the rest of the defense at least has been around and has played quite a bit, even if not in a starting capacity, which should be a benefit in a shortened offseason.