Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I’m with you in regards to Spielman. I think a  change would be refreshing. I’m fine if the new GM wants to give Zimmer one more year and reevaluate coaching in 2021. I think this would be the first step towards “greatness”.

I think you and I have always been on the same page in regards to him.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

What happens at CB. Might be hard to get a round 3 CB to fill in from day one. What about the LT situation? 

If Alexander, Rhodes and Waynes are all gone, would move the CB need up a round or two.  Would probably have to have Hill and Hughs start, sign a FA nickel back; perhaps Boyd is ready for a larger role?  At LT, Udoh if Reiff is gone, although I think we keep him at a reduced rate.  We would be thinner irrespective of who we draft; as a silver lining, at least we would accumulate a bunch of compensatory picks.

If cap space would allow for it, I wouldn’t be opposed to going hard after DT Chris Jones of the Chiefs. I’d take him over any of the Vikes free agents and Griffen.

Were projected 5 mm over the cap as it stands. Had we not signed Barr to that ridiculous contract we may have had a shot at him. I think he gets tagged anyway.

3 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Were projected 5 mm over the cap as it stands. Had we not signed Barr to that ridiculous contract we may have had a shot at him. I think he gets tagged anyway.

Turns into $25M but letting go of Rhodes, Griffen, and Reiff, but still not enough to really factor into free agency after taking care of Harris and one of Waynes/Alexander.

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Turns into $25M but letting go of Rhodes, Griffen, and Reiff, but still not enough to really factor into free agency after taking care of Harris and one of Waynes/Alexander.

That's if they do that. I'd like to get rid of Rudolph but that probably isn't happening.

I felt that way last year but he really came on in the second half of the year.

But it's a bad contract when you have a young athletic TE that was just drafted with high capital.

All these contracts make no sense, and now we're in a bind.

I love Zimmer but he has to let his offenses be more aggressive and less predictable to succeed. He put Griffen/Hunter inside to create a pass rush. He also went from a Cover 4 to playing Cover 2 to playing NE6-1 defense. Where were these adjustments on offense where were the risk-taking chances on offense!  Safe playcalling and solid defense can get you to the playoffs but better teams can counter this and win. I'm fine with Zim if let the offense be more aggressive and settle for run, run, pass punt is not going to be successful against +500 teams. We have 2 great playmakers in Theilen and Diggs and they would both just disappear for no other reason than lack of chances. Kevin played it safe more than likely under special orders from Zim. I prefer we keep the zone run base offense. Zim must let the offense open up more.

Team needs

DT needs a true disruptive 3tech. This defense has to find one. 

CB needs a small rebuild with another CB. I'm fine with Hughes/Hil/Boyd Alexander (if resigned) but should cut Rhodes and let Waynes walk maybe get a comp pick hopefully.

LT  and OG

WR - I don't want the team spending a high draft pick or spend big money on but a WR with RAC ability would be a nice addition.

QB- Kirk is not an elite QB and drafting one that falls would be a smart move for 2021. Having 28million tied up in one player who can't elevate a team and a roster showing signs of aging is a bad mix.

Edited by dc_vikingfan
  • Like 1

We honestly just have to see some of these young guys step up. Watts, Weatherly, and Odenigbo all will most likely be starters next year. At least the DE’s will probably battle for a spot. 

Holten Hill has to stay out of trouble, Hughes has to stay healthy. 

Samia might just have to start next year, along with Irv Smith. 

We might just have to gamble and move O’Niell or Udoh to the other tackle spot and take a chance. 

This is the year where we have to hit on an early draft pick that can make an impact. We see it every year. Take a chance. 

• Like 2

I've been a big fan of Mike Zimmer from the start, but have to admit that it might not be working with him if we want to go all the way.  To be fair, he has had some terrible luck when it comes to the QB situation, and some of the capital in both draft picks and salary cap space, that has been spent to replace our QB several times could otherwise have been spent on the offensive and defensive lines.  For this reason, I think Zim deserves a bit of latitude when it comes to his job.  At the same time, he also needs to give up a little on the defensive side and be willing to invest in talent on offense. 

After the 2017 NFCCG against the Eagles and now the beating we took at the hands of the 49ers yesterday, it has become apparent that we may have reached our ceiling with Coach Zimmer's philosophy on building and running a team.  As a result, I think it may require taking a step back next season to take two steps forward in 2021.  Here is what I would do to accomplish this if I were the Vikings GM:

Use 2020 as a "throw-away/retooling" season.  We will be making big changes in the process of transforming the team, so fans should know going in that we will probably have to expect anywhere between 5-8 wins next year with the proposed changes.

Players to trade or let go

Xavier Rhodes - It's pretty obvious to all of us that his best days are behind him.  I said a year ago that we should trade Rhodes and keep Trae Waynes.  I still think that is the wise course of action.

Linval Joseph - He has been good, but not great.  Big fat guys in the middle should be fairly easy to replace in the middle rounds of the draft or F.A..

Harrison Smith - It would hurt to see him go, but he's getting up there in age and I'm an advocate of trading players while they still have some value.

Anthony Barr - We just resigned him, but the money could be better used elsewhere.  Could we call the Jets and inquire about a trade?

Dalvin Cook - This may surprise some of you, but he is another one whose trade value will never be higher.  He will likely miss games every year for the rest of his career, so I definitely wouldn't sign him to the mega-contract he will probably be wanting.  Trade him, get a pick, and go with Mattison next year.

Kyle Rudolph - He has had a good career here, but we could move on to Irv Smith Jr and not have to pay Kyle his millions.

Pat Elflein - An upgrade is needed at his position.  He just isn't cutting it.

Riley Reif - See the above explanation regarding Pat Elflein.  The same applies here.

Players to re-sign

Anthony Harris - He has gone on record saying that he doesn't want to be here, but pay the man and make him happy.  He's too good to let him get away.

Trae Waynes - It would depend on the contract, but Trae Waynes is a very solid, great tackling CB.  I would love to keep him around for another 3-4 years.

Free Agent Acquisitions

Use the money saved on the big contracts we will be getting rid of above to add free quality replacements at LT and OG and DT.

Cordarrelle "Flash" Patterson - If Chicago lets him go and we could bring him back for a smaller contract that makes sense, he's a great kick returner and gunner on special teams.  He is familiar with our team, and he would be a big upgrade over Abdullah, who has been returning kicks this season.  He is a guy who could give us a big return for a small investment (pardon the pun).

2020 Draft

The obvious thing would be for us to look to the draft to reinforce the trenches on the offensive and defensive lines.  That's not what I would do this year with the purge I just completed.  Instead, I would be using the 2020 draft to acquire the centerpiece of the future of the Minnesota Vikings.  He is:

Quarterback from the University of Alabama - Tua Tagovailoa. 

We would very likely have to trade up to get Tua, but if his health checks out, we would be a great destination for him.  We could let him sit behind Kirk Cousins for a year and learn the NFL game, heal up, and then take over as our QB of the future in 2021.  Kirk is ok, but a healthy Tua would undoubtedly be a huge upgrade who could lead our team for the next 10-15 years.  He would be worth the investment.  We will likely have to trade up to get him, but the injury history could put him within reach for us.

After getting Tua, use the rest of the draft picks to find possible replacements for the veterans who will be leaving.

This is all a rough outline.  I'm no draft expert, so I won't try to say who we should take with every pick.  We can all debate that after we get our QB.  :)

• Like 1

I’ll give you guys credit for caring.. it’s gonna take me awhile. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I’ve been alive for 43 years and it’s always the same thing every year. Rinse and repeat. Uggh I’m thankful for alcohol 

• Like 1