Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

46 minutes ago, whitehops said:

i knew almost nothing about michael pierce but he was a UDFA from Samford in 2016. he's short at 6'0 but thick at a list 345, didn't attend the combine and didn't test his length at his pro day so no idea how long he is. 

he's also pretty athletic with a very good 10-yard split, average bench and good broad jump. didn't do either the shuttle or 3-cone at his pro day...

just by overall PFF grade last season (i don't have their advanced stuff), he graded slightly below linval at 69 vs. 71, both of which are above average. he played on the second round tender last season so i'm not sure what kind of contract he would be in line for.

without knowing too much about him or about his contract he seems like a decent replacement at nose tackle?

based on what I have seen on twitter, he was very good in run defense in his first 3 seasons, had a 80+ grade in run defense during 2016-18, whereas last year, he apparently came in last year out of shape and had a down year. So, this should be a good deal if he can go back to his 2016-18 level

A little info from the Ravens fans on the Pierce Signing

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

He was amazing 2 years ago and very good 3 years ago.

Last year he came into camp out of shape and played very meh much of the year.

That could be a good thing for the Vikings though - if you get peak Mike Pierce and you got him on a discount because of his play last year, could be a steal signing. Guy transforms a team's run defense when he's on.

43 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

He seemed like he was on his way to becoming a 10+M per player his first couple years. He showed up wildly out of shape this past offseason, in a contract year no less, and it affected him all season. He brought our defense down this year, TBH. 

No surprise that the Ravens made no effort to keep him. This is a boom or bust move for the Vikings. He's got the ability to live up to the deal, but they should be aware of the risk.

42 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I'm happy the Ravens chose Brockers over Pierce given their respective contracts.

Just too much risk that Pierce won't perform now that he's been paid considering how out of shape he was coming into his contract year.  That said, if he plays like he did 2 years ago, Pierce will make that contract look good

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

That sounds right. He’s a big guy and it seemed we got gashed in some big games down the stretch. Still seems like a lot for a two down player. Thought maybe Watts would take over at NT.

Im glad they got someone at one of the DT spots. I’d assume that Stephen is the favorite at UT with a rookie in the mix.

Watts will probably get some time too. Is he purely a NT?

46 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

With the way the 49ers ran the ball down our throats we needed somebody like this. 

I agree, and I think he could play much better in a 4/3 instead of being a 3/4 DE like he was in Baltimore.  Short thick dude who is hard to move, #97 here, if he can get back into shape which apparently he was not in this year he could do well.  He was cheaper than Michael Brockers was for Baltimore I believe, $3 million less and does not have the pass rush ability Brockers does but is clearly a better run stopper and heavier man in the middle.

bs-sp-ravens-michael-pierce-20190612

Idk, we say Joseph was solid, but his eating double teams and stopping the RB behind the line or at the line really started downgrading this past year. Along with what seemed he was getting dinged up all to often. 

pretty much have been on board with letting him go. With his performance and age it’s tough to try and restructure and carry out his contract longer. Also tough just looking at what he got with the Chargers.

lets just hope Pierce can get into shape and can do well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Counselor said:

So y’all gonna give my boy Dru Samia the chance to start?

I think they may, Counselor.  Mike Zimmer alluded to having some guys ready to come up for next year, and he was one of the first ones I thought of.  If he can play well, he would be a great upgrade from in-house.

• Like 1