Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Designated Stephen a post-June 1st cut would free up $3.7M and take on an additional $1.33M in dead money.

*Holmes is going into Y3 and J. Johnson into Y4. 

That extra money from a post-June 1st cut also only shows up AFTER June 1st

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Thing is, with these things happening..... it just might make Cook be affordable enough where it wouldn’t bother....

but with past injury history, I’d rather just target another 2-3rd round rb this year or next

Everybody here likes to comment on his injury history, but last year he was #4 in the league in total carries. He only missed one full game due to his shoulder needing some rest -- the other game (Chicago) all of the starters rested. In other words he proved he could carry a full load. Most running backs get a little dinged up at some point during the season -- so anybody applying the injury thing to him last year is full of spin. He came back for the playoff games. I would rest him more going forward though. He doesn't need to be #4 in the league if you have a reliable back-up like Mattison. 

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Maybe you have really high expectations for that spot. I think NT is fine with Pierce and Watts. That’s a solid 1-2 if Pierce plays as he did a couple years ago. Watts looked okay.

UT is a concern. I’m guessing Stephen plays in base with one of the backup DEs subbing in during passing situations. Hopefully Griffen returns to allow for Odinigbo to play there. Jaleel Johnson is also in the mix, nothing special there. Same with Holmes, he’s been a bust. There is a definite need for an every down 3T, not another big body that can’t get after the QB.

I see five DTs making the team: Pierce, Stephen,  rookie, Watts and Johnson.

i think they could cut Stephen and not really be hurt at the end of the day.

I don't think I have really high expectations. I have higher expectations than 6 pressures on the whole year. He wasn't a great run defender and doesn't rush the passer. What does he do that warrants 5 million a year? They are willing to pay him but not a Nickel Corner?

Just now, byuvike88 said:

I don't think I have really high expectations. I have higher expectations than 6 pressures on the whole year. He wasn't a great run defender and doesn't rush the passer. What does he do that warrants 5 million a year? They are willing to pay him but not a Nickel Corner?

Apples to Oranges when Mack reportedly wants a shot to be an outside corner, and that was the sticking point in him leaving the Vikings... not money.  Sounds like he's betting on himself on a one year deal to compete for an outside spot and then can fall back to the nickel if need be/cash in after a year as an outside corner.

19 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Apples to Oranges when Mack reportedly wants a shot to be an outside corner, and that was the sticking point in him leaving the Vikings... not money.  Sounds like he's betting on himself on a one year deal to compete for an outside spot and then can fall back to the nickel if need be/cash in after a year as an outside corner.

He'd arguably have a better shot at an outside corner here than in Cincy. They have William Jackson and now Waynes. 

1 minute ago, byuvike88 said:

He'd arguably have a better shot at an outside corner here than in Cincy. They have William Jackson and now Waynes. 

Not if the team doesn't see him that way... which it's pretty apparent they (the Vikings) don't

Edited by RpMc

The Vikings could not pay Alexander 1 year for $4 million, how the hell is that?  

He is well worth that little pay check especially for only 1 year.  Doubt they will sign a nickle CB in free agency that is so cheap anywhere else.  Odd Waynes got about $14 a year and Alexander has more potential and is younger, just has to stay healthy.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The Vikings could not pay Alexander 1 year for $4 million, how the hell is that?  

He is well worth that little pay check especially for only 1 year.  Doubt they will sign a nickle CB in free agency that is so cheap anywhere else.  Odd Waynes got about $14 a year and Alexander has more potential and is younger, just has to stay healthy.  

We don't know what the Vikings would have paid him, only what the Bengals are

14 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Not if the team doesn't see him that way... which it's pretty apparent they (the Vikings) don't

Which I think is a mistake like I was saying. I understand that they clearly don't value him that way which I think is a mistake. 

They also seem to overvalue Stephen which I also think is a mistake