Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

Scenario: Player A wants to leave a team, because he feels he's not being given the opportunity he feels he deserves/wants.  Player leaves for a relatively inexpensive contract on a one year deal.

Fan 1: $4M for one year?!? Why didn't we pay him that, we can afford that!

Fan 2: The money was irrelevant, the player wanted to leave the current situation to try and prove (to the league? to himself? doesn't matter) that he can be an outside corner.

Fan 1:  We still should have signed him since he was that cheap! Stupid front office, we are paying player B this much that he's not worth, but weren't willing to pay player A $4M?!?

Fan 2: /facepalm

------

The above has been a snippet of Vikings Forum offseason theater... /bow

Lather, rinse, repeat for players C thru Z.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Scenario: Player A wants to leave a team, because he feels he's not being given the opportunity he feels he deserves/wants.  Player leaves for a relatively inexpensive contract on a one year deal.

Fan 2: The money was irrelevant, the player wanted to leave the current situation to try and prove (to the league? to himself? doesn't matter) that he can be an outside corner.

Fan 1:  We still should have signed him since he was that cheap! Stupid front office, we are paying player B this much that he's not worth, but weren't willing to pay player A $4M?!?

------

You have proof that is the case?  He literally said I dislike Minnesota and want to leave?  Or the Vikings were not willing to pay him that joke amount of money for a starting nickle CB?  What I heard around here was $7-9 million for him in free agency right?  Maybe it is a little closer to what I was saying he might get than $9 million amount being thrown around.

If he wanted to leave and disliked Minnesota that is one thing but would be nice to see actual proof of that.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

Wolfson reported that it wasn't as much as the Bengals

Exactly, so the Vikings could not pay him that little amount of money and now the Nickle will be Mike Hughes maybe if they can find a outside corner in the draft.  Still $4 seems like a joke for a decent player like he is.  

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You have proof that is the case?

Proof?  I haven't even seen a shred of evidence that Alexander wanted to leave Minnesota. All indications are that the Vikings simply didn't value him as much as he could get somewhere else. I do not hold anything against Alexander for going where he could get $4M per year if the Vikings wouldn't offer that modest amount.

The "he didn't want to be in MN" was nothing but pure speculation as far as I could tell. It is speculation aimed at rationalizing what is otherwise mystifying -- that the Vikings didn't lock him up for that amount some time ago. Hindsight shows he was willing to sign for that amount. He didn't hardly have time on the market to lower his expectations after realizing he was overvaluing his services. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

That extra money from a post-June 1st cut also only shows up AFTER June 1st

But, that is offset by the fact that the rookie allocation doesn't have to be committed until after June 1st ergo whatever the team was going to have to hold back for the rookies they can spend now with plans to use the June 1 money to sign the rookies.

42 minutes ago, RpMc said:

------

Come on man, this is unnecessary. We all know the conversation you are talking about and it's petty to try and put someone down like that. I clearly said that I thought they missed the evaluation on Alexander and thus weren't willing to give him what he is worth.  The Bengals already have 2 outside corners so that logic doesn't fit all that well. He would have a better shot at playing outside here if the Vikings were willing to give him a shot there and give him the 4 million. Wolfson also said that they weren't willing to go to 4 million. 

The Stephen point is separate and frustrating in a different sense but this situation compounds it. Again, I said that they clearly valued Stephen more which I just don't agree with. I'm pretty sure most people agree that a Mackenzie Alexander would be more important to this team than Shamar Stephen. 

Edited by byuvike88
  • Like 3

Just now, Cearbhall said:

Proof?  I haven't even seen a shred of evidence that Alexander wanted to leave Minnesota. All indications are that the Vikings simply didn't value him as much as he could get somewhere else. I do not hold anything against Alexander for going where he could get $4M per year if the Vikings wouldn't offer that modest amount.

The "he didn't want to be in MN" was nothing but pure speculation as far as I could tell. It is speculation aimed at rationalizing what is otherwise mystifying -- that the Vikings didn't lock him up for that amount some time ago. Hindsight shows he was willing to sign for that amount. He didn't hardly have time on the market to lower his expectations after realizing he was overvaluing his services. 

Yeah if they did not offer him that then no question I would leave as well.  In the current situation at CB I think he would be well worth that but they do not.  At least they signed the punter and kicker though, would have been a crap show all over again if they did not do that.  Guess they are comfortable with Mike Hughes as the nickel, Hill as the outside CB which is a massive question mark, and draft the opposite CB.  Possibly need to draft two WRs and two CBs, that is what I have them doing currently.  

• Like 1

It is possible that Alexander is gone because he would rather play somewhere else. I can understand why fans want to believe that.

On the other hand, there are other possibilities that fit the evidence maybe even better. 

I would have loved to see the Vikings bring back Alexander. Unfortunately, their backs are somewhat against the cap wall and they can't offer everyone what they might feel they are worth. That is too bad, but that is life in the NFL salary cap era. 

Edited by Cearbhall

58 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

Come on man, this is unnecessary. We all know the conversation you are talking about and it's petty to try and put someone down like that. I clearly said that I thought they missed the evaluation on Alexander and thus weren't willing to give him what he is worth.  The Bengals already have 2 outside corners so that logic doesn't fit all that well. He would have a better shot at playing outside here if the Vikings were willing to give him a shot there and give him the 4 million. Wolfson also said that they weren't willing to go to 4 million. 

The Stephen point is separate and frustrating in a different sense but this situation compounds it. Again, I said that they clearly valued Stephen more which I just don't agree with. I'm pretty sure most people agree that a Mackenzie Alexander would be more important to this team than Shamar Stephen. 

I do apologize for the tongue-in-cheek manner of my post, and it wasn't solely aimed at you.

It's a pattern that repeats itself over and over on this forum (not just the exchange between you and I) that makes money the end all be all of the conversation.  Alexander wanting to play as an outside corner goes back to his rookie year, as well as 2018 before committing himself to the nickel position last year.  Paul Allen also rehashed it today on his radio show (he's not perfect, but he's in the building and plugged in), that Mack really wanted to try to be an outside corner and it wore on him to not get that shot.

As far as Stephen goes, he was paid to be a starting interior defensive lineman LAST year (Beau Allen just got a similar deal) - that position is more financially valued in the NFL than the nickel corner currently when looking at average/below average starters.

AAV has to be put in context of the human element as well as position value and supply/demand at the position.  A LOT of people gloss over that fact in their posts/responses on this forum, and it devolves into two people just ramming their heads into a wall; a major reason that I have stopped posting as much in the last year.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

No, what it tells you is to not pay them $14M per year...or in his case, taking a $17M hit on your cap for a RB in any year.

No. Just don’t do it. You can get equivalent production from rookie deals and street free agents. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

------

Hey that's the Vikings Face Book Page

• Like 1