Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

12 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

23 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Cook never said that? How do you know he never said that? Nobody knows what he’s asking for, is correct. Zac Hiller will be in charge of that. Dalvin Cook is his prized possession. Most likely will be looking to break the bank after a large season. A great season. I’m not sure where you are getting your values from, but there is no doubt he will most likely command top 5 money if he can. 

Keeping up with McCaffery isn’t my reasoning, it’s the fact of just signing RB’s to second contracts isn’t the greatest way to spend your money. Look what just turned of Todd Gurley. Zeke while special isn’t leading teams to Superbowls. Heck, go back to AP, he was a true workhorse and nothing came out of that. I just don’t value spending money on RB’s, but I don’t mind spending early draft picks on young fresh legs. 

Good runningbacks don’t have to bother coming here during free agency, pick them in the draft and they really don’t have a choice. Get a 20 year old coming out of college and they will love to have a shot to be the Vikings starting RB in an offense that loves the running game. 

Cook's 10 mil valuation according to Over The Cap --

https://overthecap.com/player/dalvin-cook/5627/

And if you go back my point is that we don't even know what Cook wants in terms of a contract but everyone is convinced it's top 3-5.

A 20 year old would take the shot to play for this team but the writing would be on the wall. There would be no incentive.

Edited by babababa

1 minute ago, babababa said:

Well a rookie 

Cook's valuation according to Over The Cap --

And if you go back my point is that we don't even know what Cook wants in terms of a contract but everyone is convinced it's top 3-5.

A 20 year old would take the shot to play for this team but the writing would be on the wall. There would be no incentive.

Ummmm....why wouldn't Dalvin Cook want a top 5 contract? He should definitely value himself as that. But we definitely shouldn't pay him that.

3 minutes ago, babababa said:

Is your suggestion that he would not play at all? Then he has no shot at earning another contract.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 2

Cook's valuation according to Over The Cap --

eh, can’t trust spottrak or OTC for what they expect players to get paid. That’s just what they are guessing. Do you think he should be paid more than Aaron Jones? 

id say year value he is probably going to look for  that 11-13 range. Probably won’t happen? Look at Melvin Gordon. 

and yes, the incentive is to play hard for the second contract on another team.

10 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

If someone offered you more money than you have ever seen in your life to do your dream job, I'm pretty sure you would take it.

They also are going to play all-out because if they don't they won't get a 2nd contract at all, regardless if it is in Minnesota or somewhere else.

You'd take it but why bother going the extra mile thereafter if there's no incentive? I'd put in 1 good year and demand to be cut so I could be picked up by a team that I thought would value and respect my ability. Otherwise you could get injured and never see the compensation a running back deserves.

2 minutes ago, babababa said:

You'd take it but why bother going the extra mile thereafter if there's no incentive? I'd put in 1 good year and demand to be cut so I could be picked up by a team that I thought would value and respect my ability. Otherwise you could get injured and never see the compensation a running back deserves.

If they don't want to put in the extra effort and risk it, that is their choice. They'll be out of the NFL and someone else will take their place.

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

eh, can’t trust spottrak or OTC for what they expect players to get paid. That’s just what they are guessing. Do you think he should be paid more than Aaron Jones? 

id say year value he is probably going to look for  that 11-13 range. Probably won’t happen? Look at Melvin Gordon. 

and yes, the incentive is to play hard for the second contract on another team.

Well I'd show some ability out of the gate and then demand to get cut so I could get picked up by a team that respected me. Word would get out how you treated your running backs and nobody would want to play for your team but late round rookies.

3 minutes ago, babababa said:

And the teams would just squat on the players rights since they signed a contract. A trade would be forced. Then what? Sit out like Bell and not get paid for a year?

Well I'd show some ability out of the gate and then demand to get cut so I could get picked up by a team that respected me. Word would get out how you treated your running backs and nobody would want to play for your team but late round rookies.

We just cut Rhodes and didn't re-sign Alexander or Waynes. If we draft a 1st round CB do you think they'll demand to be cut after a year?

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

We just cut Rhodes and didn't re-sign Alexander or Waynes. If we draft a 1st round CB do you think they'll demand to be cut after a year?

No because the narrative everyone is talking about the last few pages is that Running Backs aren't worth a second contract.

Look at the posts that say "Don't pay them"

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

And the teams would just squat on the players rights since they signed a contract. A trade would be forced. Then what? Sit out like Bell and not get paid for a year?

Why can't you and any other Vikings fan here see things through the players eyes for a change?

It's always through the owners perspective with you guys.

I thought it was terrible how disrespected Bell was in Pittsburgh. The man was money (arguably the best) for many years and never saw an extension. 

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

OK something's got to give. I see what you're saying there, and it's further proof that RBs need their own union. How would you like it if you started your career with no incentives and knew you'd be expendable?

Going by your scenario though, the player would be at the mercy of the team willing to trade for him. Ideally a team willing to trade for him already has interest beyond using him for a brief moment.

6 minutes ago, babababa said:

Why can't you and any other Vikings fan here see things through the players eyes for a change?

Because the players' feelings make no difference. We are just talking about how contracts work in the NFL economy.

There is a surplus of RB talent, and an elite RB offers limited added value over a cheap RB, meaning low demand. Add in the restriction of heavily restricted resources (salary cap) and it is very simple economics.