Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

9 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Because the players' feelings make no difference. We are just talking about how contracts work in the NFL economy.

There is a surplus of RB talent, and an elite RB offers limited added value over a cheap RB, meaning low demand. Add in the restriction of heavily restricted resources (salary cap) and it is very simple economics. 

So employees feelings make no difference? If an employee isn't happy with the organization how well is that employee going to perform? The incentive for the 2nd contract for another organization won't be there if this attitude takes effect for every NFL team. And if there are only going to be some teams that hold this attitude, rookie Running Backs won't be happy about going to those teams -- wanting out. It's a vicious cycle. A team that's built like the Vikings around the run game that asks so much of them cannot claim to carry that attitude toward their running backs.

Edited by babababa

1 minute ago, babababa said:

So employees feelings make no difference? If an employee isn't happy with the organization how well is that employee going to perform? The incentive for the 2nd contract for another organization won't be there if this attitude takes effect for every NFL team. And if there are only going to be some teams that hold this attitude, rookie Running Backs won't be happy about going to those teams -- wanting out.

If all the RBs start quitting, then supply will limit, demand will go up and they will be paid more. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Would you give that to Cook? I would.

Yes -- and as I said an organization that currently prides itself on the run-game (philosophically) has to put its money where its mouth is otherwise any incoming rookies would see the hypocrisy that was dealt to Cook/Mattison.

Skolbros on Instagram said that Everson probably isn't coming back. Could be some growing pains this year on defense. I'm ready for it so hopefully we can find some diamonds in the draft and if not we should be able to address them next year.

13 minutes ago, babababa said:

Yes -- and as I said an organization that currently prides itself on the run-game (philosophically) has to put its money where its mouth is otherwise any incoming rookies would see the hypocrisy that was dealt to Cook/Mattison.

This is a league wide thing man. It's not hypocrisy, it's smart business. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Skolbros on Instagram said that Everson probably isn't coming back. Could be some growing pains this year on defense. I'm ready for it so hopefully we can find some diamonds in the draft and if not we should be able to address them next year.

Everson himself posted a goodbye

Just now, babababa said:

I'm looking at it from a players perspective to an organization with a run-first philosophy -- priding itself in the run-game.

You can be a run-first organization/philosophy without over-paying the position.  A run first team is going to have multiple backs receiving carries, which again doubles down on the notion that it's not smart to overpay one of them.

• Like 1

Just now, babababa said:

Well that changes things. DE becomes a top priority in the draft now along with CB.

Depends on how they feel about Odenigbo, and this team has done a wonderful job of drafting/developing edge players in the 3rd round and later

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

You can be a run-first organization/philosophy without over-paying the position.  A run first team is going to have multiple backs receiving carries, which again doubles down on the notion that it's not smart to overpay one of them.

I agree we don't want to overpay Cook. They do need to balance the carries more 50/50 though if they plan to underpay him and Cook accepts. As it is Cook is carrying the ball 250 times to Mattison's 100 carries.