Greatest statistical offensive performance in playoffs with a loss?

x0x

My nominees to start:

Super Bowl LII Tom Brady

505 Yards, 3 TDs passing

Lamar Jackson 2020 AFC Divisional

365 Yards, 1 TD passing, 143 Yards rushing

Yes Jackson had 2 INTs and a fumble but 143 yards rushing is top 60 all time and it's mesmerizing for a QB ALONG with 365 yards through the air (top 50).

Eric Moulds 1999 AFC Wild Card

9 receptions for 240 yards and 1 TD

This is the playoff record by 13 yards and 29 yards over the nearest also losing player

Priest Holmes 2004 AFC Divisional

176 yards with 2 TDs rushing, 5 receptions for 32 yards

That's the 17th most yards in a playoff game and the most by a losing RB.

• Like 1

Drew Brees vs San Francisco (2011)

Brees went 40/62, 462 passing yards, and 4 touchdowns against the best defense in the NFL that season. Led the Saints down the field for what should have been the game winning drive with only 1:48 left only for the Saints defense to completely let him down yet again.

• Like 6

Not Lamar... nobody who watched that game came away impressed with his play, and it wasn't even a close game. Look at the QBs who played near perfect and still lost.

SB 52 Brady probably gets my vote for QB. Would be Rodgers vs Cards if not for how it ended...

For other non-QBs there are probably a ton of candidates, need more time.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Not Lamar... nobody who watched that game came away impressed with his play, and it wasn't even a close game. Look at the QBs who played near perfect and still lost.

SB 52 Brady probably gets my vote for QB. Would be Rodgers vs Cards if not for how it ended...

For other non-QBs there are probably a ton of candidates, need more time.

Really. Lamar's stats came in garbage time and produced only 12 points. He padded yards when they were down by over 20 points. 

On 1/12/2020 at 1:00 AM, tyler735 said:

Brees went 40/62, 462 passing yards, and 4 touchdowns against the best defense in the NFL that season. Led the Saints down the field for what should have been the game winning drive with only 1:48 left only for the Saints defense to completely let him down yet again.

This is my vote as well.  Brees was on fire that game against a stifling defense.  Who thought, that of all people, Alex Smith would have arguably the best game of his career to win in a shootout against Drew Brees?  One of the biggest emotional roller coaster games I've ever seen.  

• Like 1

Just because no one else will mention him:

2002 Wildcard, Browns vs. Steelers, loss 36-33

Kelly Holcomb

26-43, 429 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 107.6 Rating.

I'll forever hold a grudge against Dennis Dropcutt for losing us that game on a dropped pass wide open for what would have been the game clinching 1st down.

• Like 3

On 1/12/2020 at 3:00 AM, tyler735 said:

This was one of the best games I've ever watched.  Not a fan of either team but I thought there was 0 way the Giants could beat the Saints in New Orleans.

50 minutes ago, Jotun_Fan said:

This was one of the best games I've ever watched.  Not a fan of either team but I thought there was 0 way the Giants could beat the Saints in New Orleans.

The NFC championship game definitely would have been better from a football fan's perspective.  Instead, we saw a very sloppy game in Candlestick in the rain and one guy(Kyle Williams) almost single-handedly losing the game for the Niners, multiple times. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ataal said:

This is my vote as well.  Brees was on fire that game against a stifling defense.  Who thought, that of all people, Alex Smith would have arguably the best game of his career to win in a shootout against Drew Brees?  One of the biggest emotional roller coaster games I've ever seen.  

That’s probably the toughest loss for me because I thought we had a Super Bowl caliber team that year and we lost at the last second.