Ravens Roster Offseason Plans

AngusMcFife

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think Domata Peko playing for this squad could seriously boost our ability to land AJ Green. I think he’s got to be the #1 target. He would replace Seth Roberts for an insane upgrade piece. He’s a humble dude and thus won’t complain about targets and such, he would be cool with a 70 rec 1100 yds type season, he could help mentor and open things up for Hollywood Brown as he would no longer see as much bracket coverage. If they do see that Lamar would have so much more space underneath. With Green in tow, we could also look to trade Hurst for additional draft capital used to target the defense.

But we need some additional veteran assistance on the offense to get over the hump. We have enough veterans on the defense at this point, though I’m sure we would be active in going after high cap DL that get cut. I’m thinking a guy who could help this team that likely could be had on a “prove it deal” or perhaps for a quality veteran price that can collapse the pocket would be Marcel Dareus. Then I would expect a double dip in attack the position by virtue of the team targeting an IDL in the draft with pass rushing skills, such as Neville Gallimore on day 2.

Also we saw the limitations of not having an impact ILB this season, combine an impact DL with an improved DL and it could really pay dividends, lately we’ve seen a lot of the top ILBs in college have a seamless transition to the pro game FTMP. A guy like Dylan Mosses with his athleticism could make a lot of sense, for sure. Has similar ability to a Lavonte David.

I honestly agree with every point you've made excluding one. Instead of Dareus. I'd like to bring Gerald McCoy in after not landing him last year. I believe he's a really good fit. Heavier price tag but honestly, I feel he's worth it. 

Another under the Radar LB pick up can be Jamie Collins. I think he's a sneaky good and solid defender who could bring some stability to our core of LBs

I think we move on from Jefferson and Carr. I appreciate Carr's workhorse approach and what he's done while here, but I think it's time to move on.

Folks to keep

• Jimmy Smith (I think a 2 year deal would be a sweet spot)

Folks on the fence

• Matthew Judon (If he wants 100 million, see ya later)

Let 'em walk

• Wormley
  • Pierce
  • Carr
  • Jefferson

Serious needs to address

• Pass Rush
  • Interior O-Line
  • Wide Receiver 
  • ILB
  • Offensive Coordinator (I know, I know, but I'm still angry)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Another under the Radar LB pick up can be Jamie Collins. I think he's a sneaky good and solid defender who could bring some stability to our core of LBs

I don't know what to think about him.  He's clearly played well in NE, but also has a reputation for going off-assignment to chase the big play (kinda like Peanut this season)

I still can't get over this thought process from some of y'all:

Tony Jefferson starts, plays like crap and in turn the defense is one of the worst in the league. Tony gets hurt, Chuck Clark comes in and all of a sudden it's a well oiled machine, and some of y'all are like "We need Tony back!!!". WTF?!

Now I'm not saying Chuck Clark was the reason for the turnaround, but that man came in and played better than Tony Jefferson ever has aside from the ONE Chargers game, and suddenly people wanna go back to Jefferson?!

5 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I honestly agree with every point you've made excluding one. Instead of Dareus. I'd like to bring Gerald McCoy in after not landing him last year. I believe he's a really good fit. Heavier price tag but honestly, I feel he's worth it. 

I’m not against Gerald McCoy but he already turned us down once. What’s more he’s going to be a FA now vs a cap casualty, which means he would impact our comp formula whereas last year he would not have. While I think we could see this team go for a quality veteran signing, I can’t see us going for two FAs. Whereas Marcel Dareus is a guy whose impact might not be quite as great and he’s not the same explosive option, but he’s going to allow the Ravens to still accumulate extra comp picks in future seasons to improve the team.

Though the team might also look and pursue some trade avenues if the value is right. Have to imagine the rumors that Hayden Hurst was on the block at the trade deadline weren’t just rumors, as the where there’s smoke there’s fire saying poetically states... so I can imagine we see a scenario where Hurst is traded this offseason in a deal for an IDL option. Perhaps the Jaguars might be willing to part with Calais Campbell inside for Hurst considering the cap money they could save by trading him... though I would find that unlikely. More likely might be a sign and trade deal involving Yannick once he makes it known that he doesn’t want to be back in Jacksonville and they tag him with the expectation of trading him. I could easily see the front office parting ways with a 3rd round pick.

If we assume, that Yanda retires, I bump interior oline up to our biggest need.

We might have Bozeman, Mekari, Skura and Powers inside, but I believe we can’t take chances on them panning out and turning into better players. Skura has been ascending, Mekari did well enough for a rookie who transitioned from tackle to guard, Bozeman played better than he did in his rookie season and Powers had a decent first game. I still believe though, that we need a talent who can elevate that interior oline, and worst case a Bozeman/Powers would be backups at guard and Mekari a backup as center.

Second need I would look towards either a pass rusher on the dline or an outside linebacker. I hope we extend Jimmy Smith and keep Carr and let Jefferson walk. That would leave us with basically the same secondary core we finished with this year. If we add injured players like Tavon Young and Elliot, we have rotational pieces as well at both safety and cornerback, which would help us scheme that pass rush.

Third need I would consider a pass catcher or an inside linebacker. A pass catcher with speed an return ability would be the obvious choice. A Brandon Aiyuk would fit that description. I assume we pick up another wide receiver in free agency and AJ Green has already been mentioned. He would be the perfect fit for 2-3 years. In that time Boykin might be ready (he was a lot more raw than I thought).

An inside linebacker like Jacoby Stevens from LSU or Markus Bailey could be the solid, low bust potential that could fit what we have had in Daryl Smith, which could be an addition to a low round athletic type with higher potential.

Fourth need would be what we didn’t address with our second need. We have to find more edge and dline. I would prefer we don’t go with the Anfernee Jennings/Bradlae Anae type of player as we need more speed and athleticism. A Ross Blacklock could also be interesting if we allow our dline to gap penetrate more.

3 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

WR market is going to be pretty thin especially if the Bengals franchise AJ Green. Robby Anderson could be a good fit for us though. 

No, no, NO, NOOOO. 

This kid scared me. He's talented but he has way too much baggage. He seems like a problem child. I don't believe he fits the mold of a Raven. 

Someone I'd like to target is Emmanuel Sanders or AJ Green (If he becomes available) I'd also like Metcalf over Jaylen Ferguson. I pounded the table for him during the draft when he slipped to the final pick in round 2. I try not to think about "what could have been" when it comes to the draft though. 

2 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Bring Judon and Jimmy back and maybe Josh and Jelly.

Trade for Jamal Adams. EDC wants him and sounds like he wants to be here.

Carr and Jefferson can kick rocks.

Judon is going to get a 16+ per year deal with someone. I've said it in another thread. I'd like to use that money on someone like Clowney in Free Agency. He's 2 years younger and is more consistent. 

• Like 1

I wonder how much the development of Boykin and the inclusion of guys like Justice Hill could help us with prioritizing WR for next year. I would say that if we have a healthy Hollywood, Andrews, Hurst and if Boykin takes a step forward and we actually include Justice Hill more, we have a SOLID group there. Maybe a veteran addition would be great, but I think a lot of it comes back to usage and coaching vs. just trying to get better players.

IOL and ILB are where we simply need better players, same with edge.

I really don't know how to feel about Boykin. It does seem likely that we're going to go into next season banking on him to make a leap in his development just given how barren the WR market is in FA and the other needs we'll also have in the draft. I'd be curious to see how much faith the coaches privatley have in Boykin right now. Everyone was gassing him up like crazy during training camp and then the games started and he was clearly behind the curve. That's not a death blow for a 3rd round rookie, and he did show some flashes, but watching him I never get the sense he really understands how physically dominant he could be, and I worry that he's too passive to ever reach his potential. Could be that I"m reading way too much into very limited opportunities though. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

but watching him I never get the sense he really understands how physically dominant he could be, and I worry that he's too passive to ever reach his potential. 

Agreed. He doesn't attack the ball most of time. On his out routes he drifts away from the LOS instead of going towards it.

• Like 1