Drew Brees is still a good quarterback, he’s just no longer the right quarterback:

whodatworm23

On 1/13/2020 at 11:51 AM, Jlowe22 said:

Honestly, if I’m Teddy, I’d rather sit even another year if there’s a guarantee I’d get to play here.  

He’ll never get that guarantee, and if he does, someone is just blowing smoke up his ***. He and his agent know this.

Teams are always looking to improve and you can improve on Teddy. 

10 hours ago, Dome said:

He’ll never get that guarantee, and if he does, someone is just blowing smoke up his ***. He and his agent know this.

Teams are always looking to improve and you can improve on Teddy. 

You right...

Jay Glazer is about as plugged into the Saints organization as a media member can be and he went on Cowherd in Miami yesterday and said flat out... "Taysom Hill is the quarterback of the future in New Orleans" even saying "the Saints view him as a franchise quarterback". He also mentioned Lamar Jackson and what the Ravens do with him when talking about Hill.

Im becoming more and more convinced that it will be Hill... After one more year of Brees. Teddy will end up with either the Chargers, Panthers or Bucs.

Unrelated to Brees talk, I just listened to Rapsheet  and friends pod cast. Sounds like Kamara is working on a new deal. He indicated he wasn’t right physically until last few weeks of the season. We all thought that, now he’s said it. Makes me feel more comfortable with signing him. I thought he looked uninterested but he was really hurting and I think now frustrated he couldn’t do what he normally does. Sorry for posting this here. I didn’t have time to set up a new thread.

• Like 1

RE: Payton's comments about not being able to retain all 3 guys next year. If 2/3 is an option I think Bridgewater is the odd man out, much as I appreciated him in the interim (and admittedly I was hating on the guy early on). I don't agree that we should move on from Brees yet (costly turnovers against the Vikings aside) and I really want to take a swing on Taysom Hill. I just like his upside and if the Saints miss on him and plunges this franchise into hell while they search for their next qb then so be it.

6 hours ago, Fray32 said:

RE: Payton's comments about not being able to retain all 3 guys next year. If 2/3 is an option I think Bridgewater is the odd man out, much as I appreciated him in the interim (and admittedly I was hating on the guy early on). I don't agree that we should move on from Brees yet (costly turnovers against the Vikings aside) and I really want to take a swing on Taysom Hill. I just like his upside and if the Saints miss on him and plunges this franchise into hell while they search for their next qb then so be it.

The upside of a 29 y/o back-up QB that has never been more than a gimmick player?  If he was younger I'd be all about giving Hill the keys to the kingdom, but he's too old to be expected to survive long term given his style regardless of the wear, or lack thereof that he has.  I would honestly be more comfortable giving the keys to Winston and putting faith in Payton to teach Winston to make smarter decisions in the long run than Hill.

13 hours ago, Raves said:

The upside of a 29 y/o back-up QB that has never been more than a gimmick player?  If he was younger I'd be all about giving Hill the keys to the kingdom, but he's too old to be expected to survive long term given his style regardless of the wear, or lack thereof that he has.  I would honestly be more comfortable giving the keys to Winston and putting faith in Payton to teach Winston to make smarter decisions in the long run than Hill.

Payton has spoke on the quarterback position for years, specifically what he looks for at the position. First and foremost before any of the talent and physical tools are brought up Payton always spoke first about the character and make up of the individual. Payton has always insinuated that the character, personality and leadership skills at that position is at the forefront of their minds when considering prospects... this alone to me eliminates someone like Winston. Look at Brees, Bridgewater and Hill. From a leadership, character and personality perspective they are top notch. We all know what Brees is on that front, Bridgewater is widely known as a player with great leadership and character and is one of the most respected players in this league by other players who absolutely love him. Then there is Taysom him. Yes he’s 29, but the reason he’s that age in his 3rd NFL season is because he’s a BYU kid, due to the mission he was a part of. Hill is also a very spiritual man with tremendous make up and character that Payton has fallen in love with.

Moving forward if Brees comes back (they will not push him out) then the Saints decision becomes a simple one. Brees returns, Hill gets tendered at the highest level and Bridgewater signs elsewhere in FA. However if Brees retires, then it puts the Saints on the spot. They would still tag Hill at the highest level but getting Bridgewater resigned might be harder than what many want to believe. Bridgewater understands what the Taysom Hill dynamic is and that if he resigned with the Saints he’d be constantly looking over his shoulder for the time when Payton unleashes his pet project. Teddy said he will make this decision with his head not his heart and Sean Payton has been in Miami this weekend telling anyone and everyone who will listen that Taysom Hill will be a starting quarterback in this league sooner rather than later.

My prediction:

Brees comes back for another season.

Hill is tendered and returns but as the backup with an expanded role on offense.

Bridgewater becomes a starter for another franchise in FA.

Hill is the Saints starting QB in 2021   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Hill is tendered and returns but as the backup with an expanded role on offense.

When Hill was the backup to Teddy we hardly used Hill cause we didn’t want our backup getting hurt

itll be interesting who they bring in as insurance behind those two, if that’s how it plays out 

6 minutes ago, Dome said:

When Hill was the backup to Teddy we hardly used Hill cause we didn’t want our backup getting hurt

itll be interesting who they bring in as insurance behind those two, if that’s how it plays out 

By expanded I was talking more so at the quarterback position, we would see far less Hill as the Swiss Army knife but more of this offense expand his usage at quarterback. That means less Brees on the field, basically a transition year... a glimpse of what our offense will be in 2021.

The QB role has changed dramatically since we signed Brees.

Teams are looking at "now" and understand that the Lamar Jackson type is a 4 year (average) player. So, win now, and then deal with what's to come.

Brees, Brady, Rogers... they're an anomaly, and there's a cycle. The NFC South has designed it's defenses around Brees, Ryan (passers), Winston (hot & cold) and Newton (craps shoot). Bring in a new style, and all defenses have to adjust, which takes a few years or tape and building. Hence 2009 Saints, and the current Patriots & Packers.

Look at the teams who rely on a crazy QB style of play. They kill in their respective divisions, and then the rest of the conference gets a shot at them, and boom, there goes the "old style".

So, we have a few years with whoever is different, and you'll see a change in defense that are needed to counter by adjusting the offense.

It's a chess match. Then it's up to coaching.

16 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

The QB role has changed dramatically since we signed Brees.

Teams are looking at "now" and understand that the Lamar Jackson type is a 4 year (average) player. So, win now, and then deal with what's to come.

Brees, Brady, Rogers... they're an anomaly, and there's a cycle. The NFC South has designed it's defenses around Brees, Ryan (passers), Winston (hot & cold) and Newton (craps shoot). Bring in a new style, and all defenses have to adjust, which takes a few years or tape and building. Hence 2009 Saints, and the current Patriots & Packers.

Look at the teams who rely on a crazy QB style of play. They kill in their respective divisions, and then the rest of the conference gets a shot at them, and boom, there goes the "old style".

So, we have a few years with whoever is different, and you'll see a change in defense that are needed to counter by adjusting the offense.

It's a chess match. Then it's up to coaching.

This is also due to a trickle effect happening from as far back as high school football. Everything is 7 on 7, wide open concepts with the best athletes at QB. This not only has an effect on the QB position but also on the offensive line. There arent many NFL ready offensive lineman entering the leauge anymore due to how the position is being coached from a youth level on.

• Like 1