Front office changes

Johnny Nix

Hypothetically, let's say we finish 6-10. Do you really think Marvin is gone finally? Is Paulie G the shoe in successor now or do we look to the outside?

I really think last year was the start of a long abysmal period of Bengals football. I think it's going to be quite some time before we compete for the playoffs again. 

8 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

6-10 is being very generous. 4 wins is what I'm looking at max. To me, I think 3-13 or worse will definitely get him fired because he's never finished that bad. I'm personally wanting this team to tank at this point. They need a wakeup call.

Really it's better for those young guys if they pull out some wins and learn how to win.  Losing doesn't do anyone any good.  Browns have had wake up calls for years, but their young guys learn how to lose, and just keep losing.

Never root to lose.  

I think if Marvin is fired, Paul G is the natural successor.  He's done a nice job with the defense.  Is that good?  Maybe not.  But it's probably 90% likely.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I really think last year was the start of a long abysmal period of Bengals football. I think it's going to be quite some time before we compete for the playoffs again. 

That's the spirit!

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Really it's better for those young guys if they pull out some wins and learn how to win.  Losing doesn't do anyone any good.  Browns have had wake up calls for years, but their young guys learn how to lose, and just keep losing.

Never root to lose.  

A really bad year won't kill this team though. Overtime if this team does a better job in the draft again, as well as add some key players in free agency, they will be competitive again. Lets be honest, there drafts the last few years haven't been that great. That's the reason the Browns can't ever get out of there rut is because they draft so bad and they can't stay committed to a QB for more than 5 minutes.

And lets also add to the fact that the Steelers window will close soon. Once Big Ben retires, that team is going to decline unless they get lucky and draft another franchise QB. The Ravens may be the team that runs the division again if there defense is as good as advertise, but if they don't make some improvements on that offense as well then it will catch up to them.

I'm not saying this team is going to make the playoffs next year or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me (assuming Marvin is out the door). A culture change is what this team badly needs to motivate some of the players.

3 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

A really bad year won't kill this team though. Over time if this team does a better job in the draft again, as well as add some key players in free agency, they will be competitive again. Lets be honest, there drafts the last few years haven't been that great. That's the reason the Browns can't ever get out of there rut is because they draft so bad and they can't stay committed to a QB for more than 5 minutes.

Chicken/egg - does the bad drafts impact the culture and win record, or do the culture and win records impact your drafts?  I think there's some of both.  It's why Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England, etc can survive bad drafts.  A team that starts losing will find that role players flame out quickly, and only the strong survive.  That's bad.

This would be two years in a row, and you're talking now a significant portion of the team that hasn't never seen winning.  Probably 80% or more.  Then you bring in coaching changes who turn the roster over more, suffer through another year or two of this, and all of the sudden 100% of the team hasn't seen a winning team ever.  That is Cleveland level of ineptitude that is really hard to climb out of.

Smart business and smart teams don't wait until things bad to make changes.  It's much better to transition coaches and players on a winning team to maintain that success.  It can be planned and done smartly.  Not just "let's throw everything away and hope the next try is better!".

You all want to can it because you're not confident Mike Brown will let Lewis go if they win games.  What's worse - another 2-3 years of Lewis winning 8-10 games with no playoffs and having a smart transition that has a better chance of success going forward OR canning everyone and likely going through a decade or longer of constant rebuilding with an outside shot of landing the perfect QB and coach?

Archived