Front office changes

Johnny Nix

19 minutes ago, Futbudds said:

Wait Lewis is going to win 8-10 games this year?

It's a hypothetical.

@MrCincinnati is basically saying he'd rather the team win 3 games so the team gets blown up.  I'm saying i'd rather they won 8-10 games, and did that for another year or two while looking for a new coach to succeed Lewis.  Even if that means another couple of first round exits.

I'm just not a fan of rebuilds, because they're usually done about 10 times before lucking into the right combination of players and coaches.  Everyone else here would apparently love a complete rebuild.  I hope you guys really like them, because we'll probably be seeing them for another 5-10 years if they can't right this ship this year.

We held onto Marvin for a few years too long. After Zim left Mikey should've given the reins over to Hue if he didn't want to be coach-in-waiting. How Mikey plays this out will determine whether or not it gets turned into total rebuild mode or not. All we really need is a new coach, a new qb, and a whole draft's worth of o linemen. No big deal right?

so WWBBD if he were GM? Imo Belicheck would have the shortest leash on Andy and wouldn't be afraid to can Marvin half way thru the season. If the heir apparent is our D coordinator then get him some experience. 

29 minutes ago, Futbudds said:

We held onto Marvin for a few years too long. After Zim left Mikey should've given the reins over to Hue if he didn't want to be coach-in-waiting. How Mikey plays this out will determine whether or not it gets turned into total rebuild mode or not. All we really need is a new coach, a new qb, and a whole draft's worth of o linemen. No big deal right?

so WWBBD if he were GM? Imo Belicheck would have the shortest leash on Andy and wouldn't be afraid to can Marvin half way thru the season. If the heir apparent is our D coordinator then get him some experience. 

ha ha.  Bill belichick.  When i read WWBBD, I read it as What Would BECK BRISTOW DO, because he thinks he is in charge :D

28 minutes ago, Futbudds said:

Let's not get into Belichick here.  He's had the benefit of Tom Brady his entire tenure.  Hides a lot of mistakes, and we're not finding another #1 QB of all time.  If that's the plan, this team will be a bottom dweller for another 50 years.

The succession strategy did include Hue, he just decided he didn't want to wait another year or two.  Next time they can't be afraid to pull the trigger.

As for the comment of just another coach, QB and oline - when you start searching for those, you tend to lose your other stud players.  They leave in FA, don't look great here but look great elsewhere surrounded by better talent, etc.  It's why i don't like rebuilds.

48 minutes ago, Futbudds said:

It's hindsight now but it turns out we needed a new coach, OC, QB, and O line at the beginning of this season, just didn't know at the time. Not sure if it constitutes a rebuild but we still need those things now.

I disagree with the notion that they needed a new QB, but we'll never be able to prove that out. 

3 hours ago, Futbudds said:

So if Drew Bree's hits the market next year any chance Mikey makes a deal?

Practically 0%

Though i have to imagine this would be an attractive landing spot for a QB, if the team could fix the oline.

11 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

The only way we are possibly moving on from Dalton is if we finish with a top 3 pick. I think we end up with around pick 8 this year, so I think OT will be the target. 

As it should be.  We should draft at least 4 new ones.  A LT, a RT, a C and at least a G.  Maybe backups too, at least at T, depending on the development of the guys on the PS.  I want to see Westerman and Redmond play before taking more guards though.

@Futbudds If I could make a splash signing in free agency, it's also for offensive linemen.  One would think we learned our lesson, but the price will be astronomical, given the state of o-line play around the league.  Brees would be interesting though.  Sign him, trade Dalton for another high pick, transition tag McCarron, and use the picks to grab as many linemen in the first three rounds as you can.  But it won't happen.

I've said it before and i'll say it again.  If we have the opportunity to take a franchise QB, we should take it.  Sit them a year behind Dalton while we rebuild the oline and then let them take over.  Even in the best of times, we couldn't win a playoff game with Andy Dalton, let alone compete for the Superbowl.

Archived