Why do you think all time great offenses fail in the playoffs?

CP3MVP

If you look at the highest scoring teams in nfl history, the offenses falter in January.

Off the top of my head. 83 Skins, 84 Dolphins, 04 Colts, 07 Pats, 10-12 Pats, 11 Saints, 11 Packers, 13 Broncos, 19 Ravens etc. 

why do you think this is?

Generally speaking transcendent offenses have developed some sort of tactical advantage that defenses are unprepared for. By the time the playoffs come around, there's enough on tape to figure it out.

That and really strong defensive lines (like you often see in the playoffs) are the great equalizer. 

4 hours ago, Elky said:

Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships.

Offense is also much easier to construct consistently, year after year. Good defense is statistically noisy - teams that have great defenses for one year (see: Jacksonville) usually fall apart not long after.

I don't have the data on this, but I'd be curious what the relationship between defensive DVOA to playoff success is versus offensive DVOA. My gut feeling is that it's way easier to cash in for a single season with a great defense, but if you have a great defense, you can definitely expect it to fall apart in subsequent seasons.