If the Bengals take Young @#1 or trade their pick, what is Plan B?

aceinthehouse

18 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yet what about him the year before?  I'm not saying that Burrow isn't a great prospect at this point, but I am really concerned about the optics of his performance last year versus this year.  Burrow came out of nowhere with this excellent season.  He was mediocre at best in 2018.  Joe Brady designed one heck of an offense and Burrow took advantage of it, but he also had a lot of playmakers around it.  

This is where I’m at as well. It’s really odd to see the criticisms of Haskins being a one-year wonder but Burrow was considered a late round prospect going into this season as his play before was very uninspiring. I mean, don’t get me wrong, the dude definitely looks the part but I would not be shocked to see him struggle without Joe Brady. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

This is where I’m at as well. It’s really odd to see the criticisms of Haskins being a one-year wonder but Burrow was considered a late round prospect going into this season as his play before was very uninspiring. I mean, don’t get me wrong, the dude definitely looks the part but I would not be shocked to see him struggle without Joe Brady. 

With so many mobile QB’s it’s helping these QB’s put up monster numbers. But he was playing out of his mind. He just kept it going and    He deserves to be the top pick. That game is honestly a different level then anything I’ve ever seen. But that doesn’t mean he couldn’t struggle

So first off, I want to say there is virtually no chance that the Bengals don't take Burrows. I have a better chance of my wife giving me a 72 hour pass and Gianna Michaels showing up and saying surprise, it's your lucky weekend, I booked us a chartered flight to Vegas. Oh and here are my clean tests from last week so we won't be needing any latex.

That being said, if by some miracle of miracles, the Bengals take Young, the Redskins should sprint to the podium and draft Burrows. Not walk. Don't take calls. Freaking sprint to the podium and take Burrows.

I'm sure Haskins will be fine, but Burrows is going to be great. Like Peyton Manning great. You can't pass up on that because you want to build a team around a guy who, frankly, hasn't shown a whole lot. Burrow is better and more refined right now than Haskins is. And honestly, Burrow is a better pure passer right now than Haskins will ever be. Trade Haskins for a second or third round pick and make Burrow the guy. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Slateman said:

So first off, I want to say there is virtually no chance that the Bengals don't take Burrows. I have a better chance of my wife giving me a 72 hour pass and Gianna Michaels showing up and saying surprise, it's your lucky weekend, I booked us a chartered flight to Vegas. Oh and here are my clean tests from last week so we won't be needing any latex.

I feel like... you've thought about this a lot and in detail :P

• Like 3

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yet what about him the year before?  I'm not saying that Burrow isn't a great prospect at this point, but I am really concerned about the optics of his performance last year versus this year.  Burrow came out of nowhere with this excellent season.  He was mediocre at best in 2018.  Joe Brady designed one heck of an offense and Burrow took advantage of it, but he also had a lot of playmakers around it.  

Gotta take a look at his 2018. You are correct. 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I feel like... you've thought about this a lot and in detail :P

Oh, I have. 

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Gotta take a look at his 2018. You are correct. 

Sure, okay. Let's take a look at Haskins 2017. Oh.

Burrows was throwing balls 40 yards and hitting spots that Haskins couldn't hit if he handed the ball to the receiver. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Oh, I have. 

Burrows was throwing balls 40 yards and hitting spots that Haskins couldn't hit if he handed the ball to the receiver. 

I mean, Haskins was not an inaccurate passer in college. 

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, Haskins was not an inaccurate passer in college. 

Is there a breakout of his deep ball accuracy? Couldn't be too bad. Burrow's Y/A was ridiculous (14.1 Y/C), but Haskins had a very good 9.1 (or 12.95 per completion). i am struggling to find breakdowns though. I know OSU ran screen passes a lot. 

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Is there a breakout of his deep ball accuracy? Couldn't be too bad. Burrow's Y/A was ridiculous (14.1 Y/C), but Haskins had a very good 9.1 (or 12.95 per completion). i am struggling to find breakdowns though. I know OSU ran screen passes a lot. 

So did Ohio St

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

How is this even a question anymore? Burrow is still available, you sprint to that damn podium and take your future franchise QB. Trade Haskins for a one of the football tees the kicker uses. 

Because it is still a question. The same issues that surrounded Haskins, surround Burrow. Haskins completed 70% of his passes last year and threw 50 TDs to only 8 picks. Haskins also beat Burrow out at Ohio State. Burrow was also a sub 60% passer his first year starting at LSU without Joe Brady. Both guys had one exceptional season surrounded by otherworldly talent. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

With so many mobile QB’s it’s helping these QB’s put up monster numbers. But he was playing out of his mind. He just kept it going and    He deserves to be the top pick. That game is honestly a different level then anything I’ve ever seen. But that doesn’t mean he couldn’t struggle

Burrow definitely deserves to be the top pick, but so think those who are suggesting he’s a generational talent need to pump the breaks a bit. He lost out to JT Barrett - who I don’t think is in the league and was pretty pedestrian as a passer, JT is the entire reason I slept on Michael Thomas as being worth a 1st round pick bc JT was awful at times so I thought the reason Thomas wasn’t predicting was on him, but ends up it was on Barrett.

Then, Burrow lost out to Haskins who we all like his potential but he didn’t light it up as a rookie.

Lastly, as others have said he’s only had one year of great production which was definitely off the charts production but is he a sure thing?

I don’t think he is. He’s not the prospect that Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck and others were coming out w/ two or three years of stellar production in college.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slateman said:

Oh, I have. 

Burrow also had a TE and two WRs that might go in round 1, at worst round 2. On top of that he had Joe Barry drawing a pro style passing game for him that he brought from Sean Payton.

His weapons made some outstanding plays for him, continuously. It’s easy to see, just watch a highlight reel of Burrow, then you get through with it you’ll want all of his receiving weapons too.

Not taking anything away from the trigger man but it's also a part of the equation of why LSU’s passing game was all world.

Then, there's one last thing, Burrow’s age. He's 23 - going to be 24 in December - when we drafted Haskins he was only 21. That's a big factor.

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

?

The threw a lot of screens with Haskins but screens are a huge part of college gameplans with the RPO its really allowed players to get into space on early downs. Oh sorry I read it LSU ran a lot of screens sorry my reading eyes have been off today

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1