Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

.Buzz

55 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

"2 OC's pretending to be HCs that refused to give up playcalling with a third on the way."

Where is that being reported?

I saw it on a yahoo sports article. I can't find it now. I will withdraw this claim until I can find it again or until it is announced. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

I saw it on a yahoo sports article. I can't find it now. I will withdraw this claim until I can find it again or until it is announced. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s certainly possible he runs the offense, but I’m hoping he just focuses on being a HC.

Anything's possible, but it would be surprising, if only because Stefanski was the one who suggested MIN bring in the Kubiaks to help bring in their version of the WCO to fit MIN's talent.  It suggests a guy who is willing to delegate / defer to others.   To then turn around and take over OC duties while trying to be a rookie HC, would run counter to that MIN decision.   Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Anything's possible, but it would be surprising, if only because Stefanski was the one who suggested MIN bring in the Kubiaks to help bring in their version of the WCO to fit MIN's talent.  It suggests a guy who is willing to delegate / defer to others.   To then turn around and take over OC duties while trying to be a rookie HC, would run counter to that MIN decision.   Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Agreed.

They seemed to like him (by all reports) for his leadership, organization, and analytics based decision making, not because he’s an all world coordinator, which is great, as they’re hiring him to be the HC.

As a Vikings fan, I'm not really bummed out at the loss of Stefanski as much as I was with Shurmur. I feel like Shurmur was better at utilizing the WRs vs how Stefanski was. I'm not sure if that was due to Mike Zimmer demanding the run be used more often or not but to me it looked like we had good balance with Shurmur vs what we had in Stefanski.

I hope that he works out for Cleveland but to me, this isn't a Mike Tomlin type loss for the Vikings.

10 minutes ago, Saosin said:

As a Vikings fan, I'm not really bummed out at the loss of Stefanski as much as I was with Shurmur. I feel like Shurmur was better at utilizing the WRs vs how Stefanski was. I'm not sure if that was due to Mike Zimmer demanding the run be used more often or not but to me it looked like we had good balance with Shurmur vs what we had in Stefanski.

I hope that he works out for Cleveland but to me, this isn't a Mike Tomlin type loss for the Vikings.

giphy.gif 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Saosin said:

Mike Tomlin wasn't a huge loss at the time for the Vikings either.  He was only the DC for 1 year and while it was an improvement over Tice's defenses, but it wasn't a great defense, it was rather middle of the pack.  It really wasn't worse or better after he left either.  It didn't take a bigger jump until a couple of years later after trading for Jared.

To me, this is similar to the Tomlin hire, in that they are getting a guy who's a better leader than an Xs and Os guy...but the main difference is the organization.  The Steelers have a good structure to their organization...the Browns don't have any structure period.  If they can find some way to stabilize it and support him, he'll succeed. 

On 1/12/2020 at 11:05 PM, Nabbs4u said:

So it only took a wasted season , a HC and GM firing to finally get the Analytics Team their guy? Gotcha!

Let's see if Stefanski can keep Baker from blaming him for all of his poor play and decision making?

Theres a lot of Personalities in that Locke room. Hope Stefanski is up to the task!

He coached Stefon Diggs, and grew up in an organization that had Darren Sharper, Dwight Smith, Jared Allen, and was the assistant QB coach when Favre was in the room.  Plus his first job was working as the gopher for Chilly.  He'll be up to the task.  

28 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Mike Tomlin wasn't a huge loss at the time for the Vikings either.  He was only the DC for 1 year and while it was an improvement over Tice's defenses, but it wasn't a great defense, it was rather middle of the pack.  It really wasn't worse or better after he left either.  It didn't take a bigger jump until a couple of years later after trading for Jared.

To me, this is similar to the Tomlin hire, in that they are getting a guy who's a better leader than an Xs and Os guy...but the main difference is the organization.  The Steelers have a good structure to their organization...the Browns don't have any structure period.  If they can find some way to stabilize it and support him, he'll succeed. 

Seems like Cleveland has a structure in place and will basically use analytics to micromanage Stefanski. But when you’re desperate, go to Cleveland? 

Edited by vikingsrule

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems like Cleveland has a structure in place and will basically use analytics to micromanage Stefanski. But when you’re desperate, go to Cleveland? 

I think just when 1 of 32 teams offers you a head coaching job, you're bound to take it.  I don't think he should have taken the job, but I understand why he did.  You don't know how many shots you'll get, so strike while the iron's hot.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I think just when 1 of 32 teams offers you a head coaching job, you're bound to take it.  I don't think he should have taken the job, but I understand why he did.  You don't know how many shots you'll get, so strike while the iron's hot.

It's not likely to happen, but there's always the chance of something like Kirk Cousins getting injuried in 2020 and the offense looks worse and Stefanski ends up taking the blame for it. That could pretty much kill any chance he has of being a head coach in the future, even if it's not his fault.