Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

.Buzz

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, because hiring Kitchens' runner-up was obviously going to be an improvement, right?

Seriously, I'm glad Saleh is not being hired at this point. We've had our doubts about the guy, but he finally got pass rushers, and the defense was epic. Imagine his energy as a HC, though. One day, he'll have the gig, and he'll have his players fired up and ready for battle, just like our defense has been all year. I can't stress enough how prepared our players have been on defense. Dre Greenlaw doesn't make the play at the end of the seahawks game if he's not extremely well prepared, and we're talking about a rookie, here. Saleh has done a tremendous job, and I think the Browns might regret this one. 

• Like 2

Just now, rudyZ said:

Yeah, because hiring Kitchens' runner-up was obviously going to be an improvement, right?

Seriously, I'm glad Saleh is not being hired at this point. We've had our doubts about the guy, but he finally got pass rushers, and the defense was epic. Imagine his energy as a HC, though. One day, he'll have the gig, and he'll have his players fired up and ready for battle, just like our defense has been all year. I can't stress enough how prepared our players have been on defense. Dre Greenlaw doesn't make the play at the end of the seahawks game if he's not extremely well prepared, and we're talking about a rookie, here. Saleh has done a tremendous job, and I think the Browns might regret this one. 

They can hire him next year

• Like 8

Stefanski is a smart guy, he’s been with the team in some capacity since the Brad Childress days. His offense wasn’t good down the stretch, lacked creativity and was far too preditable. But I could see him being a better HC than OC. I’m ready for Kubiak to take the OC job in MN.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Stefanski is a smart guy, he’s been with the team in some capacity since the Brad Childress days. His offense wasn’t good down the stretch, lacked creativity and was far too preditable. But I could see him being a better HC than OC. I’m ready for Kubiak to take the OC job in MN.

Klint has that awesome beard handsome face thing going on also. Could be gone to a HC gig soon too. :D

28 minutes ago, August4th said:

I wouldn't buy a house in Cleveland if I was him

Oh, I don't know if you realize it, but one of the codicil's that are written into all of the coaches contracts for the Browns is that they live in the same house.  Freddie still has 11 days until he has to be out of the house, and then the Browns "house flipping" crew will go in and give it a fresh coat of paint, shampoo the carpets to remove all of the chicken wing grease that dripped on it over the last year.  When Hue was dismissed last year, he vacated early, heading to Cincinatti, allowing Greg Williams to move in for a few months.

• Like 4

Stefanski's Vikes had a horrible game plan yesterday.    Honestly, that's the only reason ppl are down on this hire IMO.   McDaniels with a ton of power?  No thank you.  Bienemy is the one other choice I think would have been OK with.  But honestly, Stefanski seems like a good choice, for 3 reasons:

1.   He was smart enough to suggest bringing in the Kubiaks to update the WC concepts for MIN's O.    That suggests he's a guy without ego blinding him to his weaknesses (the Kubiaks helped for sure, although they negated that benefit a fair bit with their OLC they insisted come with them - more on that in next post below).  

2.   Zimmer's a notoriously old-school run-first HC.   Stefanski's game plans have to follow the HC's general direction.   There's no indication that he will follow that same level of too-conservative planning, now that he's going to be the HC.  If anything, many OC's change personality once they are given full power.   Why do I think he'll change for the better?  Well, when Thielen/Diggs openly complained the O was way too run-heavy - Stefanski adjusted immediately once given the green-light.   That's another big plus in my books.

3.  He's not Josh McDaniels, in that he'll let the GM's build the roster.    Hiring Andrew Berry as GM and letting Depodesta run the team, rather than having McD whisper into Haslem's ear, is a MUCH better formula for success.

Remember, every time Haslem has "his guy" - disaster has ensued.   The Johnny Football draft debacle,  Hue as HC, and in the end Sashi Brown losing his job for correctly blocking the AJ-McCarron - for - 2.1 trade deadline deal that Hue Jackson & Haslem engineered behind Sashi's back.      This is a complete 180 from a Haslem-fingerprint hire.   

Doesn't mean it is a lock to succeed, but the process is far sounder.  It's a start.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 12

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Be careful what you wish for.   Kubiak Sr. deserves credit for taking over the 2014 DEN team and bringing us the crown in 2015 - but as an OC, his loyalty to Rick Dennison, and a fixation on outdated play-call concepts / OL building was his downfall (along with inability to developo/ID future QB's, he owns Paxton Lynch in a huuuuuge way, he went to bat hard for him, and got stuck with backing feisty low-ceiling, high-character types).     Maybe Klint is different, but Gary as OC would be a meh recycling choice IMO.

And the big issue with a Kubiak-as-OC hire (either one) - keeping Rick Dennison as your OL coach.  It's a tandem, and a MASSIVE reason why MIN's OL play was awful this year.   Last year, it was injuries and rookie years.   This year, the guys didn't progress, the OL play regressed - which is a huge implication on the coaching.  And the same happened in DEN, from 2015 to 2017.   That is ALL on Dennison.  He's a 90's / early 2000's dinosaur in talent development, totally not a current-era OLC guy who's an asset.   If you keep Kubiak as OC (either one) - you are likely keeping Dennison as OL coach.  That alone is a massive deal-breaker.   

Maybe Klint is new-age, and will let Dennison go - then I'd change my tune.  But as much as I will always love Gary for bringing us over the top (and he was fearless with Wade Phillips in that magical playoff run)....if Dennison is part of the MIN 2020 plan, then a huge "MEH" on my part for you guys.

Edited by Broncofan