Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

.Buzz

25 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Spread offenses are sexy, but you win with play action.

He needs athletic offensive linemen to make it work though.

Indeed.

We need interior players that can reach block and zone angle block. Thankfully, JC and Bitonio shined in that role this year.

It also got the most out of Wyatt Teller.

We need Tackles that can move down the line and can flip their hips.

We have some great options at the top of the draft to fulfill that need.

If we hire Andrew Berry, I have this strange feeling that a DePo-Berry plan is going to either see us trade-down, take Isaiah Simmons who is an analytics wet dream, or take an OT due to OTs having the highest pick success rate in the First round.

There's going to be a lot of anticipation to see what our draft philosophy will be.

If we hire Wade Phillips, I’m crazy enough to use Isaiah Simmons as his stand up LB. You would want him primarily defending the pass, but he’d been an insane chess piece with his pass coverage and pass rushing.

Myles would be an elephant OLB.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’ve heard nothing but great things about the dude since the hire and liked him prior to it. Only negative you’ll hear is performance of Vikings offense at times. I’m more concerned with his HC ability and his offensive staff.

It's amazing to me how upset people are that we hired a guy who seems so universally praised by those who worked with him.  I also think early on his success is going to be determined by the coordinators we surround him with.  I see a guy who isn't going to coach us out of games, and has the potential to be a master of the craft if we give him enough time.  A huge upgrade from Freddie.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

It's amazing to me how upset people are that we hired a guy who seems so universally praised by those who worked with him.  I also think early on his success is going to be determined by the coordinators we surround him with.  I see a guy who isn't going to coach us out of games, and has the potential to be a master of the craft if we give him enough time.  A huge upgrade from Freddie.

I agree.

The 2nd battle is hiring the right coordinators.

• Like 1

If you think about it, we may have done ourselves and Stefanski a huge favor by hiring Freddie first.  If Stefanski was the coach we could have gone "only" 8-8 or 9-7 and he'd be on the hot seat.  The Freddie disaster brought expectations down and should take Haslem's finger off the trigger for a couple of seasons.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rod Johnson said:

If you think about it, we may have done ourselves and Stefanski a huge favor by hiring Freddie first.  If Stefanski was the coach we could have gone "only" 8-8 or 9-7 and he'd be on the hot seat.  The Freddie disaster brought expectations down and should take Haslem's finger off the trigger for a couple of seasons.

We get an off-season to fix the offensive line too.

Obviously if we don’t blow things up, Stefanski is inheriting a Ferrari. Just need to fix Baker.

• Like 1