Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

.Buzz

Should've been Jim Schwartz.

Hope against hope that Brad Childress has nothing to do with the hire.

Hope somehow some way Gary Kubiak comes with Stefanski. Maybe he hires his son Klint to facilitate that process.

Not the best hire, but it could've been worse. Have to hope last year's process wasn't just the deciding factor that made them unwilling to be open to other candidates.

-----------------

Remaining Questions on Stefanski:

1.) What's Stefanski's offense away from Kubiak? Is it the DeFillipo-Kubiak mix or does he have core philosophy similar to what the Vikings are doing currently (Kubiak Outside zone, Play-Action)?

2.) Can Stefanksi lead the offense and team successfully without the shepherding of an elite mentor coach and wise mind like Gary Kubiak?

3.) Can Stefanski command the locker room?

4.) Can he hold players accountable?

5.) Can he build an effective, tough-minded and disiciplined culture?

----------------

Gary Kubiak has guidance/mentorship meetings with Kevin Stefanski after every offensive meeting. They talk every detail through. Gary watches Kevin teach and offers development tips. Gary Kubiak meets with Kirk Cousins and drills him mentally and meets with him to improve his mentality and approach.

The outside zone and play-action heavy play-calling and play-sequencing is a Gary Kubiak installation with Stefanski's collaboration. Prior to Kubiak, the Vikings offense was the John DeFillipo offense. When Stefanski took over as the interim OC, there was no time to change playbooks at the end of the season.

This has led people to question: What is Stefanski's core offensive philosophy on his own? Is he an outside zone, play-action guy or will he be something much different or with less mastery when he's out on his own.

Fairly certain the plan is for him to not call plays so idgaf what happened yesterday against the leagues best defense. I believe they hired him for several reasons that we can't see from the outside and are tough to quantify, like leadership, propensity to actually use data to make decisions and evolve, etc.

• Like 3

Man yall trippin

Go back and actually listen to some Stefanski press conferences 

He's going to turn us into a consistently competitive team that won't shoot themselves in the foot

We are going to play efficient, smart, and run the football

he's not going to wear dumb shirts

just enjoy it 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nugpimpen said:

Fairly certain the plan is for him to not call plays so idgaf what happened yesterday against the leagues best defense. I believe they hired him for several reasons that we can't see from the outside and are tough to quantify, like leadership, propensity to actually use data to make decisions and evolve, etc.

Ehh Thielen and Diggs seem to moan and pout on the sidelines or call out their qb every other week.

I can see how this one is going to turn out.

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Ehh Thielen and Diggs seem to moan and pout on the sidelines or call out their qb every other week.

I can see how this one is going to turn out.

Cousins isn’t great.  Wasn’t in Washington.

He doesn’t push the ball down the field, never has, and it’s frustrating to receivers.  This didn’t start under Stefanski.

• Like 1

Stefansk,  like Matt LaFleur and younger unproven head coaches, is going to require early success to facilitate buy-in to his plan and belief in him.

Coming off a game where there's disbelief in the fan base and media, if it starts out rocky there will be questioning of Stefanski narratives swirling around the players and coaching staff.

Could be a recipe for players tuning him out as he may not possess the quality to command the locker room. LaFleur was the same way. Winning and early success concretized the buy in from players.

We have to go all in and free agency and the draft to help him get off to a good start.

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

Stefansk,  like Matt LaFleur and younger unproven head coaches, is going to require early success to facilitate buy-in to his plan and belief in him.

Coming off a game where there's disbelief in the fan base and media, if it starts out rocky there will be questioning of Stefanski narratives swirling around the players and coaching staff.

Could be a recipe for players tuning him out as he may not possess the quality to command the locker room. LaFleur was the same way. Winning and early success concretized the buy in from players.

We have to go all in and free agency and the draft to help him get off to a good start.

Put an OL in front of Baker and Chubb and all is well in the world.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Cousins isn’t great.  Wasn’t in Washington.

He doesn’t push the ball down the field, never has, and it’s frustrating to receivers.  This didn’t start under Stefanski.

I don’t think he’s working with a better qb here. Just upgraded to even more diva WRs.

At least we got Chubb though. If he’s gonna spam a play over and over, I’m glad that it’s going to be one involving our best player.

2 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I don’t think he’s working with a better qb here. Just upgraded to even more diva WRs.

Baker is far more talented and will push the ball.

2 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

At least we got Chubb though. If he’s gonna spam a play over and over, I’m glad that it’s going to be one involving our best player.

Yep.

• Like 2

Everyone was through the moon when we hired Freddie Kitchens.

Excitement at the point of hire and excitement at the opening press conference isn't predictive of any longterm success.

Hiring Gary and/or Klint Kubiah is the highest priority right now.

Ensuring that Stefanski doesn't get away from the outside zone, play-action heavy game is the most important thing right now

Edited by Mind Character

3 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Baker has better natural talent than Cousins