How the offseason SHOULD go

Nastradamus

Big offseason ahead obviously. Regime on the hot seat, incredibly valuable #3 overall pick in tow. We all know what it is. 

Stafford has been restructured and I think Snacks guts out at least one more year. That leaves us at roughly 50 mil in space. Draft is slated to cost 11. Quinn won't spend us down to 

zero as he prefers some rollover and/or trade dealine/emergency money. So we have about 30 to play with. 

- I'm a big Graham fan, but I get the feeling he walks. Paying a guard, especially one who isn't a Quentin Nelson type, top of the market money isn't a Patriot way type move. Possibility I'm wrong as he's young, consistent, versatile and has seemingly bought in. In the end though, Quinn puts a max price on every player and I think Graham might get a higher offer elsewhere. 

Immediate and clear needs - Starters at RG, slot, CB2, DT. Key backups at - RB, G, DT, EDGE, S and QB

Future needs to keep an eye on - Starting WR both slot and outside, RT, nose, LB

** Trades and Free Agency

Trade our 5 to Seattle for Solomon Thomas and SF's 6th rounder. He costs 9 mil for the year and graded pretty lame last year. That said, he was a top 5 pick, he has plus plus athleticism, dominated in college against the run at the minimum and he fits our system. After this move I release Romeo Okwara and also let Ashawn walk. 

- Re- sign Mike Daniels. 1 year, maybe 3-5 mil plus a few incentives type thing. Similar to last year but less money. I think he wants to be here, I think he wants to prove he's not finished and the money is cheap. I don't want to be dependent on him by any means, but interior pressures are a very valuable commodity and he's a near lock to be a top 25 interior pressure guy if healthy. Worth a gamble for me. 

Extend Slay, convert this year's salary to bonus, give him 2 year's 30 mil tacked on to his current deal. Could be a third, voidable year added for cap purposes. Bottom line, Slay guards #1 WRs 1 on 1 and that is very difficult to replace in the immediate future. An Okudah can get there, but we need to win now to a degree. 5 mil cap saved for the year. 21 mil to spend

Sign Jimmy Smith - 2/16 - I'm comfortable with something like him and Amani competing at CB2. Worth noting its the 3rd most targeted CB spot. 13 to spend

Sign Damarious Randall - 4/30 - We don't want to ask our LBs to cover a ton, so we need safeties with the size and athleticism to pick up TEs in the middle of the field. Randall would be a strong complement to Harris and Walker IMO. First year cap hit about 5 mil. 8 mil left. 

Re- sign Danny, Wiggins, Martin and Aboushi with the rest. 

** DRAFT

1. Its hard for me to imagine this draft any other way than us trading down to 5 and drafting Derrick Brown at this point. The draft was built to fall this way and that man was made to play 

for Matt and Bob. I think due to a bidding war we end up getting 5,18 and a future 3rd for 3.  Brown is then selected at 5

18 - K'Lavon Chaisson - Awesome fit in this D. He'll start for Christian Jones, Pass rush from RDE when Trey slides inside and take snaps from Kennard as well. 

2nd  - Mekhi Becton - They need to groom a RT of the future and at worst OT depth is always good. We were 1st in the NFL running off LT last year, 26th off RT. A 360 lb mauler like

Becton would be a welcome addition. 

3rd - Use the Seattle 5 and a future 5  to trade up for Brandon Aiyuk. We need a young playmaker at the position and he won't be forced into early action here. Can help both the slot and outside. 

4 - Cesar Ruiz - Cut from a bit of a similar cloth to Glasgow. Worth a gamble here to give us some young IOL talent. 

Last 3 picks I'm looking for a RB(another Ty Johnson type), QB and LB(ILB type with size to fit the system and develop behind Davis) most likely. 

• Like 2

Final lineup is 

Stafford - Driskel/Blough/rookie(maybe someone like Gordon since we'll coach him at senior bowl)

RB - Kerryon, Mckissic, Ty, Bo, rookie 

WR - Kenny, Marvin,Danny,Aiyuk,Hall, Fulgham

TE - Hock,James, Thomas, (cheap competition brought in for Thomas)

OT - Decker, Wagner, Becton, Crosby

OG - Dahl,Wiggins, Aboushi, Beau, Cesar

C - Frank, (Cesar)

EDGE - Flowers, Thomas, Bryant, Kennard, Chaisson

DL - Snacks,Brown, Hand, Daniels, Atkins, Strong

LB - Tavai(M), Davis(W), (Chaisson), Jones, JRM, rookie

S - Walker, Randall, Harris, CJ. (look for bodies here)

CB - Slay, Smith, Coleman, Amani, Ford, Agnew. 

Prater, Martin, Muhlbach

• Like 1

I like Brown a lot, and this is an ideal draft to trade down. Two 1sts and a future 3rd is a decent haul for two spots. If Slay is willing to be a team player and stick around, that defense would be very strong next year.

You added young players to WR, OG, and OT while keeping veterans around. I can't see why the offense wouldn't at least be as good as 2019, and, with Stafford, it was very good.

Can't complain. Would be a good draft for now and the future. Nice mock.