Stefanski’s staff

pnies20

Twitter talk suggests we might hire George Edwards as DC and he'd be bringing along ast. Dline coach Robert Rodriguez (not the director) as his Dline coach.

For those who aren't in the know, the vikes Dline coach, Andre Patterson, is widely considered the best Dline coach in the league and a pass rush whisperer of sorts, much like Ohio State's Larry Johnson. Rodriguez has been his assistant for 5 years, learning the techniques and philosophy of Patterson.

A little nugget to also consider: Edwards as DC could give us a leg up in signing Safety Anthony Harris in FA.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Twitter talk suggests we might hire George Edwards as DC and he'd be bringing along ast. Dline coach Robert Rodriguez (not the director) as his Dline coach.

For those who aren't in the know, the vikes Dline coach, Andre Patterson, is widely considered the best Dline coach in the league and a pass rush whisperer of sorts, much like Ohio State's Larry Johnson. Rodriguez has been his assistant for 5 years, learning the techniques and philosophy of Patterson.

A little nugget to also consider: Edwards as DC could give us a leg up in signing Safety Anthony Harris in FA.

I saw that and Ill be honest with you, Ive never heard of George Edwards before but I saw something that hes had a top 7 defense each of the last couple seasons and has never had a defense rank below 11th. That seems pretty crazy and Im not sure why the Vikings let him go.

I hope this staff gets finalized quick, not sure I can do another multi-week drag out of who we are hiring

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I saw that and Ill be honest with you, Ive never heard of George Edwards before but I saw something that hes had a top 7 defense each of the last couple seasons and has never had a defense rank below 11th. That seems pretty crazy and Im not sure why the Vikings let him go.

I hope this staff gets finalized quick, not sure I can do another multi-week drag out of who we are hiring

Zimmer gets all the recognition for the vikes defense, and Edwards isn't the sort to politic, hence he's not a household name.

It seems to me Edwards is Zimmer's sacrificial lamb for the 49ers loss. Plus, Twitter whispers suggest he's looking to branch out to where he can be recognized for his defenses instead of Zimmer getting the spotlight.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Im in. Lets do it 

• Like 2

I just hope Stefanski has the smarts to recognize the talented coaches he has already on staff and retains...

Campen, one of the best

Dewayne Walker, one of the best

Priefer, very good

Adam Henry, for Juice and OBJ

And Stump Mitchell, epic beard.

Half this staff is already top notch. Much like the roster, this is not a tear down situation.

Bring in his own OC, QB coach, TE coach, DC, and his DC's choice of Dline and LB coaches.

I'd say keep Holcomb but I think he's a package with Wilks.

• Like 1

^^^

I am the same on our roster around guys like Ratley, Carrie, Mitchell, Redwine, Takitaki, Greedy, RSJ, Njoku, Dorsey got rid of too many mid tier guys, and replaced them with his, but inferior talent, guys like Nassib, Ogbah, shouldnt of been cut or traded away. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Also I have no opinion of Stefanski's staff. Only saw it once and it was in the dark.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Did it leave you with any sorta feeling in your gut?

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

My gut? Is that what you said? no.

There's been a lot of miscommunication on this board lately so just want to be clear: you guys are talking about weiners and that maybe Stefanski has a big one--his weiner--, right?

Edited by NudeTayne
If so, gross, guys. Come on. Grow up.
  • Like 3

On 12/23/2019 at 3:04 PM, Mind Character said:

Some of the Best QB Coaches in the NFL:

1.) Joe Lombardi

2.) Mike Kafka

3.) Greg Knapp,

4.) Rich Scangarello,

Even though he was under fire for various things this season, I cannot believe Scangarello is available.

It would be an unbelievable win to get him on the Browns staff and we need to at all costs.

There couldn't possibly be a better fit as he's a developing talented QBC/OC that wouldn't likely need to call plays right away but instead collaborate for an extending period of time with Stefanski.

Not only is he an elite QB coach according to many respected coaches in the league, but he's "Philosophically our approach is the zone run system, play action-system created and modernized by Mike Shanahan and grown under Kyle Shanahan phenomenally. I got my first start with that system under Tom Cable...."   Kyle Shanahan originally blocked him from going to the Broncos as OC because "Rich's a tremendous QB coach and what he does for our offense can't be replaced."

Shanahan then relented when he was assured by John Elway and Vic Fangio that Scangarello would get primary and full control of the play-calling, as well as have stability.

Scangarello is familiar with the 49ers/Shanahan system (in Atlanta and San Fran) and he himself employs a heavy play-action, zone run scheme. He also does a good job integrating QB coaching with overall understanding of the offense as all good QB coaches do.

He could come here and be QB Coach with OC upside allowing he and Stefanski to collaboratively lead the offense

The Broncos maximized Brandon Allen as much as possible before enjoying breakout with Drew Lock. Flacco was washed. The overall offense numbers aren't great but there's was great development and coordination work done this year.

His offense is a hybrid between the Shanahan offense with more RPO game utilized from his time as a college OC. Believes that the "easiest mismatch to make in the NFL is the RB and the LB and that has to be exploited all the time." Also, believes in the sameness of play presentation before variation like Kyle and Stefanski/Kubiak.

https://thednvr.com/broncos-film-room-an-inside-look-at-the-offense-rich-scangarello-is-bringing-to-denver/

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/11/8/20954589/film-rich-scangarellos-breakout-game.

Mike McDaniel is an ivy league guy but has no OC experience and isn't a quality QB coach. I've spoken many times previously regarding how we cannot risk his battles with alcoholism derailing the Browns progress. Mike LaFleur is a great option, but Scangarello is just as good if not better of a candidate.

Stefanski may have already decided who his OC/QBC would be as no one really knew Scangarello would be fired., but hiring him should be priority number 1 for Stefanski's staff.

LaFleur or Scangarello would be a win... Scangarello and we really win

I really hope Stefanski didn't finalize the position(s) yet.

--------------------------

---------------------------

Joe Wood had a top 10/top 5 Defense his first year as Coordinator that was number 1 against the pass. Von Miller and Chris Harris raved about him. Starting Stefanski's staff off with Scangarello and Wood would be special.

Edited by Mind Character