Stefanski’s staff

pnies20

10 hours ago, therealwiseman said:

Or we could get guys like Covington, Fowler, Brockers, Nassib (yes, I think it would benefit him and us if he came back). There are many ways we can go and I am excited to see where it takes us.

What I do know is that Garrett will come back with a vengeance next year and Ogunjobi will just get better. Part of the foundation is there and we will only get better.

RIP Swagger

Getting guys like that are a tier below Clowney and wouldn’t bring us to the level of the 9ers DL

On 1/18/2020 at 3:43 PM, Mind Character said:

Yeah, it would be a major fail if we hired TC McCartney who worked with Scangarello as an assistant on the 49ers offensive staff in 2017 and 2018 as he's not the caliber or quality or personality-fit of a QB Coach that Baker needs despite Lock and Allen's progression for the Broncos.

QB Coach is a huge hire for us, and it would be great if we could hire Scangs as QBC/OC instead of as OC and McCartney as QBC.

Above, last month stated how it would be a fail to hire McCartney as QBC outright.

That was assuming TC was the primary QB coach.

Hiring him with the offensive assistant designation is a better fit as it might suggest that Alex Van Pelt will be the primary QB Coach that utilizes McCartney as a lead QB Coach when Van Pelt is per-occupied with other duties (I.e., leading offensive meetings).

McCartney has great character and served 3 years as a Quality Control Offensive coach under Kyle Shanahan at the 49ers and Browns, but he is known to be a more laid back QBC and wasn't the disciplinarian relentless eye and footwork driller that I wanted for Baker nor does he have the long track record of QB development. an Pelt however is and does.

Assuming Van Pelt is the primary guy working with Baker, it can be a good fit that helps Van Pelt effectively manage his time and adds a coach familiar with the Shanahan scheme and positional requirements.

It makes sense that Scangs wouldn't want to take a non-OC position under a 1st year Head Coach with the same OC experience as him. Under a respected signal caller Doug Pederson, his senior offensive assistant designation carries more weight than an offensive assistant or QBC designation under Stefanski.

Edited by Mind Character

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Getting guys like that are a tier below Clowney and wouldn’t bring us to the level of the 9ers DL

We aren’t going to be the 49ers.  We are going to be the browns.  We are getting some of their coaches, that doesn’t mean we will be a carbon copy.  That is not possible.  There is no way we can build a comparable roster in one year.

We will build the best roster that we can.  We won’t be as strong on the front lines as the 9ers, but depending on who we get at safety we may be stronger on the back end.  More like Seattle back in the legion of boom days.

or linebackers could end up being our strength.  The important thing is to build a solid defensive unit.  There are multiple ways of doing that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

We aren’t getting Clowney. I’ll take (2) of those second/third tier guys who all have upside potential to them and pair them with a Myles & Larry. Richardson will have a better year and can only hold out hope for Vernon. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, therealwiseman said:

We aren’t getting Clowney. I’ll take (2) of those second/third tier guys who all have upside potential to them and pair them with a Myles & Larry. Richardson will have a better year and can only hold out hope for Vernon. 

And this is analytics.  Sign a lesser heralded free agent that hasn’t quite put everything together on the field to be elite, but has tremendous upside, and bank in your coaches to unlock that potential.  Sometimes that happens and players blossom on their 2nd or 3rd team.  Other times a turd is just a turd.  (I’m looking at you Greg Robinson!)

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Seems odd we have an ilb and olb coach, its not like their roles are that much different in the 4-3.

49ers, Jets, Titans, KC, Giants, and Bucs have an ILB coach and an OLB coach. 

really depends on the roles you have defined for your ILBs and OLBs and what exactly you have them and being responsible for in your version of the 4/3

Edited by buno67