Broncos fire OC Rich Scangarello

.Buzz

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

Shurmur is a good coordinator. His play calling is ok, but his QB development skills are very good. This is a win for Drew Lock. 

As a side note, Lock has one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen. Anyone else get that?

He does have a bit of a dooshey look to him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Well he did block Rich last year, but the Elway-Lynch relationship secured the move. 

he blocked him, then relented when it was obvious that he would have complete control of the offense and would be calling plays. 

The relationship is there for sure though. (Thanks for emmanuel sanders!)

Kyle is a big fan of Fangio as well, I know they talked about how kyle would be fangios OC here the year harbaugh left (2015) if Fangio was gonna be hired as our HC.

Thank god that didnt happen because kyle would have gone somewhere else to be HC lol 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Shurmur is a good coordinator. His play calling is ok, but his QB development skills are very good. This is a win for Drew Lock. 

As a side note, Lock has one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen. Anyone else get that?

Is he going to run Phillip Lindsay into a brick wall every 1st down, or does he like to get chunk passing plays on 1st down? 

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

Is he going to run Phillip Lindsay into a brick wall every 1st down, or does he like to get chunk passing plays on 1st down? 

I cant even remember him as a OC. All I remember about Shurmer is how bad of a HC he was with CLE/NYG and how bad he is in press conferences. 

30 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

First down isn't Shurmur's problem down. He runs a lot on first down, but just above egregious levels. Under Shurmur, the Giants ran on 2nd and 10+ more than any team except the Jets, and were worse than every team except the Jets on those 2nd downs when they did run. It was maddening. The amount of 3rd and longs Jones was asked to convert was just incredible, and he did a good job under the circumstances. 

Shurmur's unwillingness to get creative in the run game combined with his steadfastness in committing to the run game gets the offense in a lot of trouble. It's easily the worst thing about him. 

Coming from Kyle Shanahan's staff, I'm assuming Scangarello was installing a similar offense in denver, right? And considering it took Matt Ryan and Jimmy G a couple of years to really get comfortable and efficient at running Kyle's offense, I'd think a rookie QB would need at least as much to really master it as well, if not more. I think Denver would have reaped the benefit of keeping Rich two or three years down the road, but they were looking for instant success with a rookie QB and a rebuilding team? So now, they're starting over with a new OC, and they better hope their second year QB won't take two years to grow into that offense. 

I think one of the better decisions the niners have made was to trust the coaching staff to take a few years to install their vision for the team. The first two years were major struggles, but we reaped the benefits this year. But the Broncos are too impatient, and it might hurt them more down the road.

• Like 1