Broncos fire OC Rich Scangarello

.Buzz

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Now stop it! Thats a lousy way to look at it and you know it.

The improvement over the season was remarkable. Even depleted as we were with injuries, the backups still stepped up and played above their potential.

We both know that Munchak/Kuper produced an OL that by the end of the year exceeded their abilities. Rodgers, Schlottman and Morris are all undrafted yet played well in the last game. How 'bout we applaud them for what they accomplished with the limited talent they had and look forward to a serious talent influx this offseason. 

Take it easy I was being sarcastic. 

For whatever reason I can’t copy the tweet on my phone but Klis is already out in full spin mode:

If Fangio can finalize deal with Shurmur as expected, it potentially would be home run for Denver. He brought along likes of young Nick Foles, Sam Bradford , Case Keenum, Daniel Jones. Consistently among league leaders in big plays.

29 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah, our OL was elite this year. 

Tell me the OL coach who's an upgrade over Munchak. 

Edit: Nevermind, see you were messing around. But yeah, Mike is phenomenal coach and any OC would be crazy to not want him on their staff. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

For whatever reason I can’t copy the tweet on my phone but Klis is already out in full spin mode:

If Fangio can finalize deal with Shurmur as expected, it potentially would be home run for Denver. He brought along likes of young Nick Foles, Sam Bradford , Case Keenum, Daniel Jones. Consistently among league leaders in big plays.

In a vacuum, I think Shurmur makes sense. It's the lack of continuity that irks me, especially with a young QB. 

This seems to have been totally Vic's call, and I do appreciate the fact that Elway is letting him pick his own staff as a head coach should. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

In a vacuum, I think Shurmur makes sense. It's the lack of continuity that irks me, especially with a young QB. 

This seems to have been totally Vic's call, and I do appreciate the fact that Elway is letting him pick his own staff as a head coach should. 

Sounds to me like a win-now move. Why let a young OC develop into possibly the next big thing when you can hire a safe veteran who has already reached his full potential?

Why go to a fine restaurant when you can just stick something in the microwave? Why go to the park and fly a kite when you can just pop a pill? 

Typical Ellis/Elway led Broncos, aim for respectability and keep the corporate sponsors happy. 

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Sounds to me like a win-now move. Why let a young OC develop into possibly the next big thing when you can hire a safe veteran who has already reached his full potential?

Why go to a fine restaurant when you can just stick something in the microwave? Why go to the park and fly a kite when you can just pop a pill? 

Typical Ellis/Elway led Broncos, aim for respectability and keep the corporate sponsors happy. 

I would have preferred to keep Scangs but this isn’t a win now move. Bringing in a failed HC means you’re more likely to develop some continuity with your young QB. You don’t have to worry about another team plucking him away after 1-2 years. 

Scangs could develop into the next big thing as an OC. We know Shumer is a great OC. He was “the next big thing” a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I have mixed feelings on brining in Schurmur. I’ll have to sit with it for a few. I guess Vic favors experience. But losing a Shanahan disciple I very much do not like, especially with how much he improved. 

Just from a business level, why would you take that chance? 

From what I've seen the entire fan base was excited about the offense with another year under Scangarello. I know I was. I can see almost nothing but downside from this move. 

I really can't understand this at all. Because of our December play Fangio and staff had a free pass for next year. They just threw that away. 

• Like 1

My take on Scangarello is he was very good with quarterbacks, the system and scheme design seemed fine, but he was rough as a play caller when they got off script. Never seemed natural for him. 

Curious to see what assistants Shurmur brings with him. Munchak in the bag is a gift. 

• Like 1

I think this all lays on Vic. If you want to say, “at least Elway is letting him pick his staff” I can see the merit in that, taken as an absolute. But when Vic picks his staff, and downgrades it, then the blame falls on Vic. 

We could have had the Kyle Shanahan offense but now it’s the, to quote the mouthpiece, Case Keenum/Sam Bradford offense. Color me excited. 

Think I was critical of Vic before? Just wait. He and his hand-picked vanilla as can be OC just signed their pink slips. Sad thing is the future, at least for about six weeks, appeared bright. 

• Like 1