Broncos fire OC Rich Scangarello

.Buzz

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

BS. Fangio was the one that hired him. Did anyone think, that after being a total boob and falling flat on his face in NY that Shurmur was going to get a bunch of looks to go run another organization into the ground? He already worked in Cleveland so they’re out. 

It’s been plainly clear for a long time Shurmur was going to be available. This didn’t happen overnight. It wasn’t like “holy crap those fools in NYC let go of a Hall of Fame coach for some stupid reason, let’s move heaven and earth to get him here!”

Vic the incompetent wanted a yes-man as OC. Smyth/Klis/Nikki/et al helped them spin it as a positive but fact is Vic needed a lackey, not someone who called him on being a stuck in his ways, who was an “old school” jerk who “treats everyone like (crap).” 

Elway and Ellis let him have that, over their preferred choice of an OC from Shanahan tree. Basically, they’ve given Vic enough rope to hang himself; if Shurmur falls on his face, again, they have justification for firing Vic. That’s as forward looking as this franchise gets. 

This time next year, we will be looking for a new HC, mark my words. Let’s just hope that search is being conducted under a new owner with a brand new FO. 

What's the over/under on Kyle Shanahan guiding the 49ers to the next great sports dynasty?

8 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

What's the over/under on Kyle Shanahan guiding the 49ers to the next great sports dynasty?

Given what Lynch has done to that D, I don't know that they'll be a title dynasty, but I think the SF window to continued playoffs/success is upon us for at least the next 4-5 years.   The chips falling to a SB win are all falling in place for this year, however.    SF couldn't have drawn up a better draw than getting the bye & then playing MIN & then GB.   Whoever comes from the AFC will test them sorely, but I would be shocked if it wasn't SF as NFC champ now.   

Edited by Broncofan

54 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

BS. Fangio was the one that hired him. Did anyone think, that after being a total boob and falling flat on his face in NY that Shurmur was going to get a bunch of looks to go run another organization into the ground? He already worked in Cleveland so they’re out. 

It’s been plainly clear for a long time Shurmur was going to be available. This didn’t happen overnight. It wasn’t like “holy crap those fools in NYC let go of a Hall of Fame coach for some stupid reason, let’s move heaven and earth to get him here!”

Vic the incompetent wanted a yes-man as OC. Smyth/Klis/Nikki/et al helped them spin it as a positive but fact is Vic needed a lackey, not someone who called him on being a stuck in his ways, who was an “old school” jerk who “treats everyone like (crap).” 

Elway and Ellis let him have that, over their preferred choice of an OC from Shanahan tree. Basically, they’ve given Vic enough rope to hang himself; if Shurmur falls on his face, again, they have justification for firing Vic. That’s as forward looking as this franchise gets. 

This time next year, we will be looking for a new HC, mark my words. Let’s just hope that search is being conducted under a new owner with a brand new FO. 

You misunderstand my statement - Shurmur would have been a highly sought after OC once the firing was official.   No one suggested that he was going to be a HC.   There are still 4-5 teams looking for OC's.   It's only until Fangio knew he could get Shurmur locked into DEN, that Scangarelli got axed.   I don't think anyone is arguing that anyone but Fangio is responsible for this move.   

Edited by Broncofan

Just now, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Kubiak, Kyle, mcVey, leFleur, Anthony Lynn.

thats a hell of a tree that’s already happened.

It’s not going to happen here though. Kubiak isn’t coming back and until Ellis is gone I seriously doubt anyone from that tree is coaching the Broncos anytime soon. 

Scangerello was not a very good OC, yes the offense improved but lets be honest it really couldn’t be that much worse. Scheme design is not the only job of an OC, calling plays and designing game plans is also pretty key and he was garbage at that. Sure he’s young and could grow into the role, but in today’s NFL if you aren’t sure your QB is going to get significantly better you move out, it should not be any different with coaching.

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Given what Lynch has done to that D, I don't know that they'll be a title dynasty, but I think the SF window to continued playoffs/success is upon us for at least the next 4-5 years.   The chips falling to a SB win are all falling in place for this year, however.    SF couldn't have drawn up a better draw than getting the bye & then playing MIN & then GB.   Whoever comes from the AFC will test them sorely, but I would be shocked if it wasn't SF as NFC champ now.   

The more I see this team the more I am impressed by the defense. If we dismiss the New Orleans game where the Saints scored 46 pts Robert Saleh has assembled this team at the top of the NFL without anyone expecting it. Garropolo, Kittles .... are rather disappointing in their performance. Without great defense SF would not be in the NFC championship game. I really thought that the attack would be the support of SF for the future. As a result I have no regrets that Kyle Shanahan did not sign in Denver. In 3 years he the attack strategy did not impress me

Honestly, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over the firing of a first year OC and his QB coach. Shurmur is an upgrade, there's no two ways about it. I do think it's a little odd to let TC go, but frankly, who knows what the dynamic in the FO would be. I feel like people are grossly overreacting to the Scags firing though- the guy wasn't a world beater. Lock made him look better than he ultimately was, even if there were some improvements through the year.

If Lock takes a dramatic step back as a result, then we can critique the move, but to not even know who the new QB coach is...eh it kinda seems premature to complain.

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Honestly, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over the firing of a first year OC and his QB coach. Shurmur is an upgrade, there's no two ways about it. I do think it's a little odd to let TC go, but frankly, who knows what the dynamic in the FO would be. I feel like people are grossly overreacting to the Scags firing though- the guy wasn't a world beater. Lock made him look better than he ultimately was, even if there were some improvements through the year.

If Lock takes a dramatic step back as a result, then we can critique the move, but to not even know who the new QB coach is...eh it kinda seems premature to complain.

I don't mind the coach so much, what really piss*s me off is the complete change of offensive systems when our 1st yr QB is a great fit for the WCO. It piss*s me off that we fixed something that wasn't broke. 

They took a great ending to season, one that for the first time in years had virtually everyone from player to fan excited about the future, and pitched it out the window. Since Kubiak we've had new coaches and coordinators every year. Finally we could have a season without turmoil, just anticipation for next year. Not now. 

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the finish. I'll get back to you then.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I don't mind the coach so much, what really piss*s me off is the complete change of offensive systems when our 1st yr QB is a great fit for the WCO. It piss*s me off that we fixed something that wasn't broke. 

They took a great ending to season, one that for the first time in years had virtually everyone from player to fan excited about the future, and pitched it out the window. Since Kubiak we've had new coaches and coordinators every year. Finally we could have a season without turmoil, just anticipation for next year. Not now. 

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the finish. I'll get back to you then.

Yeah this x1,000,000. 

I don’t think we should treat an offensive 360 lightly. Faults & all, Lock was perfect for Scangs' system and it showed. Maybe I'm biased but I happen to prefer that offensive system.

Don't get me wrong, Shurmur is a good OC, and I hope he adapts his system to our players, especially Lock. At least we know Shurmur wont be poached. 

Just now, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Shurmur also uses a WCO. He (via Andy Reid via mike holmgren) is part of the Bill Walsh tree much like Scangarello (via Kyle via mike). The concepts should remain fairly close.

I was doing some research and Shurmur calls his version of the WCO a “power spread.” He uses a lot more shotgun and 11 personnel than typical 21 and 22 personnel groupings employed by the Shanahan branch. Even with similar verbiage, there are some significant changes. You know more about this stuff than the rest of us, so you foresee any issues with the transition? 

What worries me is continuity, or lack thereof, that @AKRNA pointed out. Especially since things went well the final 1/4 of the season, at least we’ll relative to what we’ve become accustomed the last few years. 

Even if Scags and Vic didn’t work well together, isn’t it incumbent upon adults in a professional setting to work out their differences for the betterment of the group at large? This to me is a very McDaniels-esque move, fire people you can’t get along with and replace them with a yes-man you know from somewhere else. I’m an Associate Vice President at a financial services firm, if I fired everyone I didn’t want to go have beers with after work, a whole 110 employee company would be screwed. 

Why are people now assuming it’s some petty personal issue? Vic is 100% consumed with football. Is It so hard to believe he just had no confidence in Scangarello as an offensive coordinator? And if that ultimately led to personal issues because things weren’t going well, that’s business. It’s a major reach to compare this to McDaniels, and so is the idea of Shurmur being a “yes man”. If anything, it sounds like he wanted a coach he could trust with full autonomy over that side of the ball.