Is Bill O'Brien the worst coach in the league?

Elky

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I get that. But that's still better than coaches who make their teams worse:

Adam Gase

Matt Patricia

Doug Marrone

These guys (outside of obvious choices Jay Gruden who has been fired) are the absolute worst of the worst.

I can ultimately agree that Gase, Patricia and Marrone are worse. Gruden and Shurmer are probably in that bucket, too. Kitchens is here, but he was a bad hire from the word go.

That's not good company to be in, I'd say.

Just now, ET80 said:

I can ultimately agree that Gase, Patricia and Marrone are worse. Gruden and Shurmer are probably in that bucket, too. Kitchens is here, but he was a bad hire from the word go.

That's not good company to be in, I'd say.

I'd say BoB is on the same level of a Mike Smith/Marvin Lewis coach. Gets to the playoffs, gets destroyed once there due to stupid mistakes.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I'll say there is worse. Not WAY worse, but that could be semantics at best.

He's a bottom 1/4th coach. 25-32 range. Fair?

I still don't agree with that. He's below average for sure. like 20-25 range to me, but there are some BAD coaches in the league that haven't been exposed yet that I'm being nice about right now. 

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

I still don't agree with that. He's below average for sure. like 20-25 range to me, but there are some BAD coaches in the league that haven't been exposed yet that I'm being nice about right now. 

25-32 is about as far as I'd go, and that's me being generous and not in the moment of this past weekends' loss. I'm sure there are guys who are in the discussion, but I would say that they don't have the track record that BoB has amassed over six seasons.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

25-32 is about as far as I'd go, and that's me being generous and not in the moment of this past weekends' loss. I'm sure there are guys who are in the discussion, but I would say that they don't have the track record that BoB has amassed over six seasons.

So let's rank the coaches into Tiers:

A - Bill Belichick

B - Doug Pederson, John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Kyle Shanahan

C - Andy Reid, Sean McDermott, Matt LaFleur, Frank Reich, Sean McVay, Mike Zimmer, Jon Gruden, Pete Carroll, Mike Vrabel

D - Dan Quinn, Matt Nagy, Bill O'Brien, Anthony Lynn, Bruce Arians, Ron Rivera

F - Matt Patricia, Doug Marrone, Adam Gase

Too early to tell - Kliff Kingsbury, Matt Rhule, Zac Taylor, Kevin Stefanski, Vic Fangio, Brian Flores, Joe Judge

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

So I guess around 25 or so does work for BoB.

I'll play contrarian for a bit... BoB does some things kinda well:

- No matter the RB (Arian Foster, Lamar Miller, Carlos Hyde, Jonathan Grimes) the Texans have a moderate run game. I mean, it's not Denver circa 1998, but it's a reliable run game that can dictate the game flow (if the defense is going well).

- The guys on the team will stand for him. Even after the Chiefs game, Deshaun Watson went to bat for BoB. This isn't the first time he's done this, he did so last season too. There are a few guys who said some less than flattering things (Brandon Brooks, Brian Cushing and Andre Johnson come to mind) but even with this, AJ and Cushing made amends and are now coaches under BoB. These guys like BoB, flaws and all.

Those are the only two redeeming qualities, and those aren't enough to justify six seasons of slightly above average results.

A - Bill Belichick

B - Doug Pederson, John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Kyle Shanahan

C - Andy Reid, Sean McDermott, Matt LaFleur, Frank Reich, Sean McVay, Mike Zimmer, Jon Gruden, Pete Carroll, Mike Vrabel

Too early to tell - Kliff Kingsbury, Matt Rhule, Zac Taylor, Kevin Stefanski, Vic Fangio, Brian Flores, Joe Judge

I’m a big Shannahan fan, but there’s no way in hell you can rank him above Reid. I‘d have Reid over a couple of your other tier B guys as well. I thought you were basing the rankings based off of winning a SB which i could respect, until i saw Shanny in tier B, and Carroll in tier C. (Gruden too, but that was so long ago)

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Im curious as to who would potentially be brought in if Houston ever did fire Bill O'Brien.

Houston has a young franchise QB, a top 3 WR, a top 5 LT and individual parts on defense to rely on. No first round pick for the next two years, but close to $90mm in cap space. 

Gary Kubiak and BoB both had incredibly long leashes with their tenures, even when they looked in over their heads. Both Kubiak and BoB bucked tradition and actually selected their own GMs - and in BoB's case, actually got himself named GM after he fired his own guy after 18 months.

So, if you're a HC who likes good QBs, have job security past three seasons and have dominion over their GMs, Houston is a very attractive destination.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Houston has a young franchise QB, a top 3 WR, a top 5 LT and individual parts on defense to rely on. No first round pick for the next two years, but close to $90mm in cap space. 

Gary Kubiak and BoB both had incredibly long leashes with their tenures, even when they looked in over their heads. Both Kubiak and BoB bucked tradition and actually selected their own GMs - and in BoB's case, actually got himself named GM after he fired his own guy after 18 months.

So, if you're a HC who likes good QBs, have job security past three seasons and have dominion over their GMs, Houston is a very attractive destination.

After you put it that way, I really hope you give BOB another chance. 

A - Bill Belichick

Andy Reid is 3rd tier? Seriously?

2 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

After you put it that way, I really hope you give BOB another chance. 

I didn't even get into no state income tax or the great BBQ. ;)

All things being said, I doubt BoB gets fired. He actually did his usual Monday press conference yesterday - if you're doing press conferences, you're pretty safe.

Next off-season, maybe. 

• Like 1