Is Bill O'Brien the worst coach in the league?

Elky

I don't think he's the worst, if for no other reason than the fact that Adam Gase is a walking human dumpster fire. He honestly might be the most detrimental to his team, though. I can't think of another team that looks on paper as ready to compete as Houston, with a coach that holds them back as much. Like, talent wise, Houston honestly looks like the most similar team to KC in the league, to me. And then somehow that team allows more points, yards, and yards per play than they gained. They just seem too talented for that.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

That's why this game is one hell of a silver lining. Casual fans will look at the W/L and the division titles and figure things are good. Fans like us (because if you're on a message board with 5,000+ posts, you're not exactly "casual") knows a bit more, but still can't argue against results.

This? This is a professional show dog taking a crap on the rug in the middle of the Westminster Dog show. This is throwing up on stage in front of Simon Cowell on America's Got Talent. This was arguably the most embarrassing way to lose a game, one with absolutely no escape hatch to dive into.

BoB is a bad coach. Casual fans might see it for the first time ever - but anyone else with more than a passing interest will know this is par for the course since BoB left Penn State.

But here's the thing...while I agree that he is NOT good, go through the list of nfl coaches and tell me how many you think have PROVEN enough to say that they are better. I bet it's about half and half. That is distressing for the state of the league

He went 9-7 with Brock Osweiler at QB which alone disqualifies him from being the worst coach out there. But he's an average one, and the problem for him is that come playoff time he's going up against the best coaches in the game so the Texans are seemingly always starting from a coaching disadvantage when the games matter more. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Elky said:

I've never seen a coach go for a fake punt when up 24-7, but then waste a timeout trying to punt when down 17 and his QB visibily chewed him out for it.

What a shock on who started this thread....

No he isn't the worse. The fake punt was a dumb call but not challenging the spot and wasting the time out before kicking the FG was a worse call. But even with that he isn't the worse coach out there. 

To call Bill O'Brien the worst coach in the league from a serious note is laughable. 

But, he definitely made some incredibly poor decisions in the divisional game, including the fake punt attempt.  

If you're calling for him to be fired, then you better be calling for Pete Carroll to be fired too for his call at the goal line in Super Bowl 49.  

And yet, Carroll is still a head coach in the NFL.  

3 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

If you're calling for him to be fired, then you better be calling for Pete Carroll to be fired too for his call at the goal line in Super Bowl 49.  

Spoken like someone who has watched exactly one Texans game.

You're not even comparing apples and oranges, you're comparing apples and airplanes.