Is Bill O'Brien the worst coach in the league?

Elky

15 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

To call Bill O'Brien the worst coach in the league from a serious note is laughable. 

But, he definitely made some incredibly poor decisions in the divisional game, including the fake punt attempt.  

If you're calling for him to be fired, then you better be calling for Pete Carroll to be fired too for his call at the goal line in Super Bowl 49.  

And yet, Carroll is still a head coach in the NFL.  

Yes, Carroll's decision was really bad, but he's won a SB, makes Seattle better and is considered an elite/borderline-elite HC. BOB on the other hand makes terrible decisions every week that either costs the team or the team overcame. He's a liability to Houston, not an asset.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Never said that he shouldn't be fired.  

No, but you caviated it by saying Super Bowl winning HC Pete Carroll should be fired as well for one play.

If Bill O'Brien was being lambasted over one play, I'd be the first to defend him. Those who are criticizing him know that it's not just one play that draws all of this ire.

Here - I'm a Texans fan, so I'm clearly bias on the subject (given the events of yesterday). Let's ask a few non-Texans fans:

@SkippyX, @Joe_is_the_best and @Boltstrikes live in Houston, IIRC. Fans of the Eagles, Broncos and Chargers, I believe. Let's get their takes, guys who have no dog in the fight.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

No, but you caviated it by saying Super Bowl winning HC Pete Carroll should be fired as well for one play.

If Bill O'Brien was being lambasted over one play, I'd be the first to defend him. Those who are criticizing him know that it's not just one play that draws all of this ire.

Here - I'm a Texans fan, so I'm clearly bias on the subject (given the events of yesterday). Let's ask a few non-Texans fans:

@SkippyX, @Joe_is_the_best and @Boltstrikes live in Houston, IIRC. Fans of the Eagles, Broncos and Chargers, I believe. Let's get their takes, guys who have no dog in the fight.

You are getting only part of what I'm trying to say.  

What I'm saying is that O'Brien being fired should be on the table, but he's not even in the hot seat as we speak.  

25 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

What I'm saying is that O'Brien being fired should be on the table, but he's not even in the hot seat as we speak.  

I am a neutral fan in as much as I root for the home team so my friends are happy as long as they are not playing the Eagles.

He's not in the hot seat because the current owner inherited the team and as far as I can tell is only interested in raking in the money. (Mike Brown 2.0?)

He has a bad coach and no structure in place to manage him in any way.

I predicted before the game that 'B O B' would drop a grenade or two into his own fox hole.  He did that.

• He went for it from his own 30 on 4th and 5
    • His comments after were that he thought they needed to score 50
  • He kicked a FG on 4th and 1 just before that.
    • Why get 3 instead of 7 if you know you need 50!
      • He later said he did not go for it because they did not have a play that they liked.
        • His JOB is to make plays that he likes! (or to have coaches in place that can do that)
          • He can't come up with 1 play that he likes to get a single yard?
            • He went into a game KNOWING he needed to score 50 and did not like any plays to try to get 1 yard?

The hosts on Texans radio were optimistic this week because they thought the team was good enough to overcome bad coaching.

• This is on the station owned by the Texans.

Everyone knows he is an awful coach.

• The players are not revolting because B O B is Supreme Chancellor of the Texans Empire at this time. A revolt would not accomplish anything.
    • The only other person with any power there is a character coach.
  • To a man this team fully understands that their coach is incompetent. (how could they not?)

The whataboutism that says Gase, Taylor, or Marrone may be worse coaches does not make B O B any better than awful.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

Whoooa, hold up, a more pressing matter has suddenly popped up...

Why are people saying "in the hot seat"? Isn't is usually "on the hot seat"? Is this like a regional thing? Did I not get a recent memo?

It's like a couple of years ago when all of a sudden coaches and others around the game started called the place between the 20 yard line and the end zone the "red area" instead of the "red zone". Red area? To me that's just always been something my doctor gives me penicillin for after a night of too many adult beverages in Bangkok.

46 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

No, he's on the hot seat. It's not like Ron Rivera or Jay Gruden, it's not Freddie Kitchens - but it's hot, about as hot as Doug Marrone and Dan Quinn are right now.

13 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Why are people saying "in the hot seat"? Isn't is usually "on the hot seat"? Is this like a regional thing? Did I not get a recent memo?

I've always said on the hot seat, and I'm about as Texas as one can get.

6 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

He went 9-7 with Brock Osweiler at QB which alone disqualifies him from being the worst coach out there. But he's an average one, and the problem for him is that come playoff time he's going up against the best coaches in the game so the Texans are seemingly always starting from a coaching disadvantage when the games matter more. 

the same osweiler that got benched for tom savage?  savage was the starting qb the game the texans clinched the south on fg miss by randy bullock with the bengals.  texans were tied with the titans in the afc south that year too.

To people that actually think BoB is the worst coach in football, how would an good coach improve the team in terms of wins/postseason success? Say someone like Zimmer or a Pederson. I don't think the Texans have an overly talented roster. I'd probably rank it somewhere 7-10. To me if you go from worst to good you'd be expecting at least 2-3 extra wins a year and I don't think this team has that type of roster. Are people expecting they'd be like the last 2 Chiefs years? 

Other coaches might coach and enforce a way that is counterproductive according to what the roster's talents lend itself too. BoB appears to get decent results but usually because of some of the great players more than his coaching at least that's how it appears.  Critics will only actually know once he is replaced and see how that goes. The players like him, so it's not all bad I guess fwiw in this era.  I haven't seen him flip out on refs either, but does that ever work out for the better anyways?