AFC Championship Titans@Chiefs

x0x

Who you got?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. 2020 AFC Champion Is?

• Kansas City Chiefs
    • Tennessee Titans

14 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

I'm gonna say the Titans pull off the upset.

Back in 2001, Mike Vrabels' team managed to beat an offensive juggernaut: The Greatest Show on Turf -  despite being a 14 point underdog in the Super Bowl
That Warner-led Rams track team averaged 31 pts/game, but the Vrabel's shut em down and took home the crown.

• Like 2

Last week everything went wrong for the Chiefs in the 1st quarter against the Texans and they still destroyed them. 
What if the first 2-3 drives of this game are the opposite, and the Chiefs starts the game on fire/scoring thouchdowns on their first possessions? 
Do the Titans have the offensive gameplan/firepower to score quick points? 

I'm not a seer and I've been wrong plenty of times before but I see KC rolling early in the game and the Titans playing catchup football, which doesn't suit their style very well. 
Chiefs 34 Titans 17

In any case, I'd be happy to see either the Chiefs or the Titans in the Superbowl (been a while)

It's quite obvious from this thread, the forum in general and the media, nobody has watched the Titans prior to Jan.4th. I think win or lose, people will be surprised that the Titans are not just a one trick thoroughbred. Should be an exciting game whichever way it goes. Titan Up!

• Like 2

And I don't want anyone to take this in the wrong way.

But it is said that the Titans only won last time because of a botched FG, blocked FG, fumble return for TD or any mistakes the Chiefs made.

However, Mahomes threw for 500 yards 3 TDs and Hill had 11 for 157 and 1 TD and still wasn't enough to win the game.  
Are the majority thinking he will outdo those numbers? or That he will match those numbers and not have any mistakes?

What if he doesn't match those numbers and the Titans still play a solid game and maximize their chances or capitalize on any mistakes made? Are we thinking the Chiefs won't make any mistakes? Because just last week we saw some massive mistakes.
And through the playoffs the Titans haven't made many if any mistakes, playing the style they are playing. 

25 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

But it is said that the Titans only won last time because of a botched FG, blocked FG, fumble return for TD or any mistakes the Chiefs made.

However, Mahomes threw for 500 yards 3 TDs and Hill had 11 for 157 and 1 TD and still wasn't enough to win the game.  
Are the majority thinking he will outdo those numbers? or That he will match those numbers and not have any mistakes?

What if he doesn't match those numbers and the Titans still play a solid game and maximize their chances or capitalize on any mistakes made? Are we thinking the Chiefs won't make any mistakes? Because just last week we saw some massive mistakes.
And through the playoffs the Titans haven't made many if any mistakes, playing the style they are playing. 

Interesting rounding. Your point would have remained without the exaggeration.

I think most people aren't suggesting that Mahomes needs to play better, but rather that our defense has played better recently, so hopefully the Titans won't be put in a situation that they can win, especially if we limit our mistakes. Will that happen? I'm not sure I'm sold. It should be a good, tough game. I think the Titans are the hardest matchup for us and I've said it since the playoffs were announced.

Likewise, however, to suggest the Chiefs can't play any better and the Titans are immune to making mistakes (citing a 2 games sample) is kind of crazy too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

You're hitting the very point that those people are making, though. The astronomical stats are proof of the point that KC drove the ball at will that entire game. All that ever stopped our offense were errors like that. And not just errors, but incredibly punishing ones. It's one thing if it was just a fumble, but it became a fumble TD. A missed field goal is one thing, but the nature of that botched snap turned penalty/turnover on downs was insane. A penalty sucks, but a penalty removing a TD is huge. That kind of thing.

We'll absolutely still make mistakes. We're that kind of team, honestly. But the ones that occurred in the first game were dramatic point and momentum swings. Because the stats looked dominant. We had first downs, yards, TOP, third down %, all won handily. Even more scoring drives. The Titans just lived so much on big plays and big KC mistakes that game. And that's not normally a sustainable winning formula. It's more likely that Tennessee has to outgain and outplay us than they can expect us to make the kinds of mistakes we did the first time. The mistakes argument is just to say that game #1 isn't necessarily predictive of game #2, is really all.

• Like 4

On 1/16/2020 at 11:01 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

In our defense, you guys needed literally everything to go wrong for us to win that game. We just saw KC spot the Texans a 24 point lead and then drop 50 on them. If the Ravens played the Titans 100 times, we'd probably win 99, but we didn't last Saturday and that's all that matters.

That being said, it's hard to imagine that kind of game happening again for Tennessee where 90% of your offensive drives go for less than 36 yards but you still win by 2+ touchdowns.

I'm not here to argue how many games each team would win, but man - what I wouldn't give to see Earl out there trying to tackle Henry for 100 straight games.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

Interesting rounding. Your point would have remained without the exaggeration.

I think most people aren't suggesting that Mahomes needs to play better, but rather that our defense has played better recently, so hopefully the Titans won't be put in a situation that they can win, especially if we limit our mistakes. Will that happen? I'm not sure I'm sold. It should be a good, tough game. I think the Titans are the hardest matchup for us and I've said it since the playoffs were announced.

Likewise, however, to suggest the Chiefs can't play any better and the Titans are immune to making mistakes (citing a 2 games sample) is kind of crazy too. 

For the record I wasn't trying to exaggerate. I meant to type "almost 500 yards."

And 

Wasn't saying immune to mistakes. Just saying with the style they have been playing lately (playoff) it has limited mistakes, particularly by the offense. 

You guys can pick Chiefs to win, that’s totally fine. But don’t use the Texan game or being up 24-0 as a reference. Texans have no run game to control ToP, the worst clock management coach in the NFL, worst 4th down coach in the NFL, and the Texans are less of a physical team than the Titans. Titans physicality wears you down, both physically, and mentally/confidence. 

Chiefs can certainly win and should be the favorites absolutely but the Texan game should have nothing to do with your decision. 

8 hours ago, MagicMT said:

Last week everything went wrong for the Chiefs in the 1st quarter against the Texans and they still destroyed them. 
What if the first 2-3 drives of this game are the opposite, and the Chiefs starts the game on fire/scoring thouchdowns on their first possessions? 
Do the Titans have the offensive gameplan/firepower to score quick points? 

I'm not a seer and I've been wrong plenty of times before but I see KC rolling early in the game and the Titans playing catchup football, which doesn't suit their style very well. 
Chiefs 34 Titans 17

In any case, I'd be happy to see either the Chiefs or the Titans in the Superbowl (been a while)

Everything from week 7 on says yes the Titans can put up points with the best. Tenn averaged over 30 a gm since week 7 with only Baltimore and NO averaging higher.

Let me take you back to 2011 real quick.

In case you forgot, there was this team with an explosive offense with weapons all over the field. They were led by a young QB, who was playing QB as well as anyone had seen. This team averaged 35.0 PPG during the season. Once the playoffs rolled around they had a rematch against a team they previous had beaten 38-35 on the road. At home with their offense. How can they be stopped? No way they would lose. They were 8.0 point favorites. Well, they did ended up losing at home as the heavy favorites, 37-20. By now, you probably realize I'm talking about that 15-1 Packers team. 

I really only bring this up because, this Chiefs squad reminds me of that 2011 Packers. At the end of the day, that game/team will have no affect on what happens on Sunday. However,  it is interesting to compare the similar situations with the teams involved.