Broncos hire Pat Shurmur as OC

RaidersAreOne

Im surprised he didnt go back to Minnesota, since their OC just left to be HC for Browns. He had a nice run with them in 2017 which opened up the HC job in New York. Going to be a tough challenge in Denver. I do like the hire for denver though, was hoping Bills went after him if Daboll got the Browns HC. 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Im surprised he didnt go back to Minnesota, since their OC just left to be HC for Browns. He had a nice run with them in 2017 which opened up the HC job in New York. Going to be a tough challenge in Denver. I do like the hire for denver though, was hoping Bills went after him if Daboll got the Browns HC. 

Why do you say that ? He inherits a young QB, Sutton is turning into a stud WR, Fant showed a lot as a rookie TE,  plus he has a decent running game too. Also Munchak is making strides with the OL, which will get some help this offseason....he  has a better opportunity than you know.  

Edited by Cutler06

When they announced Scangarello was being let go, I was really astounded, because he really showed progress in the 2H of this season, and his O was tailor made for Lock's abilities.  For the talent we gave him, as a rookie OC, Scangarello didn't really deserve to get canned, TBH.

But OC Shurmur is a pretty great hire.   As others said, he was a disaster as a HC - but as an OC, his work has really impressed.    Can't say I'm disappointed in the choice.

The other ripple effect - I wouldn't be surprised to see MIN stay internal with their OC hire, and promote Klint Kubiak (QBC, son of Gary).   Which by itself isn't a bad move necessarily - but it likely keeps Rick Dennison as their OL coach.  OL play (along with weak CB play) were the 2 problems in Minny - and Dennison owns that in a huge way.   Shurmur returning to MIN was the obvious fit, so can't say I'm disappointed by our hire, but also have to say I'd be worried for MIN's plans (Dennison being a much bigger problem than either Kubiak).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

When they announced Scangarello was being let go, I was really astounded, because he really showed progress in the 2H of this season, and his O was tailor made for Lock's abilities.  For the talent we gave him, as a rookie OC, Scangarello didn't really deserve to get canned, TBH.

But OC Shurmur is a pretty great hire.   As others said, he was a disaster as a HC - but as an OC, his work has really impressed.    Can't say I'm disappointed in the choice.

The other ripple effect - I wouldn't be surprised to see MIN stay internal with their OC hire, and promote Klint Kubiak (QBC, son of Gary).   Which by itself isn't a bad move necessarily - but it likely keeps Rick Dennison as their OL coach.  OL play (along with weak CB play) were the 2 problems in Minny - and Dennison owns that in a huge way.   Shurmur returning to MIN was the obvious fit, so can't say I'm disappointed by our hire, but also have to say I'd be worried for MIN's plans (Dennison being a much bigger problem than either Kubiak).

Dennison has only been our o-line coach for one season. Our offensive line issues go back much farther.

13 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Dennison has only been our o-line coach for one season. Our offensive line issues go back much farther.

2 years ago, your OL got decimated and had injuries after a great 2017 unit-wise.   And you lost an all-world OL coach in TC with Tony Sparano's tragic death.  So the 2018 drop from top 10 OL play in 2017 to bottom 10 was understandable.   But injuries didn't cripple the team in 2019, it was lack of progress  (or worse, regression) that I saw.   And that's exactly what happened in DEN with Dennison in his 2015-7 years with Kubiak's 2nd tour in DEN.

I get MIN's historically had OL issues - but your OL play was great in 2017, and Sparano was a huge reason for that.   His absence and injuries in 2018 explain the drop then.   2019, though, your guys didn't improve with experience, and that's really on Dennison (unless your guys drafted in 2018 have zero talent - but given what happened in DEN from 2015-7, with our gradual but clear decline in OL play, I'd be in the camp that Dennison is part of the problem, not part of the solution there).

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Kubiak's insistence on hiring Dennison and Pariani, who the Broncos wanted no part of, is why Scangarello got this gig in the first place. 

Is Gary not up to be OC next year?

He doesn't want the heavy hours to be a HC, took a toll on his health.  It's hard to see an OC as enough of a downgrade work-wise.  It's why he's an AC, in-the-booth guy in MIN.

I'd bet dimes to dollars if MIN stays internal, Klint gets the gig.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

The Vikes have Gary Kubiak as the assistant HC and offensive consultant. I doubt Shurmur had much interest in trying to make that work.

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He doesn't want the heavy hours to be a HC, took a toll on his health.  It's hard to see an OC as enough of a downgrade work-wise.  It's why he's an AC, in-the-booth guy in MIN.

I'd bet dimes to dollars if MIN stays internal, Klint gets the gig.

Definitely agree with you here. I would think that Clint could get a serious look, but Dennison needs to go. The OL is still very bad. The only bright spot is Brian O’Neill. Bradbury might be okay in the future but he was underwhelming as a rookie.

Could see Jason Garrett possibly getting a look in MN. He’s a Parcells guy just like Zimmer.

7 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I'm in philosophical opposition to the lack of continuity on offense, especially with a 2nd year QB. This is 5 OCs for Denver in 5 years, as crazy as that sounds.

But, in a vacuum this is a good move and objectively an upgrade from Scangarello. 

While this is true, it will be Drew Locks 2nd which is all that truly matters. Not ideal changing OC's after a Rookie season but as a OC, Shurmur is not horrible and should help Lock.  Head Coach on the other hand,...not so much!