Conference Championship GDT - Packers at 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

3 hours ago, N4L said:

I wish I could be more helpful but there really isn't anything to do around the stadium. One of the reasons the location selection was poor. I always suspected that the debartolo family bought a lot of surrounding real estate and then pushed for development to increase the value of their other holdings 

Dang, that's a bummer.  The one good thing I'll say about the Cardinals' stadium here in Phoenix(technically Glendale, but whatever), is that it's located about a mile from Westgate, which has a ton of bars and restaurants. As well as some shopping, if that's your thing.  You could spend all day there if you wanted.  

9 hours ago, N4L said:

I am struggling with this one myself. My original plan was to get inside the stadium at 12 to watch it on the big screen, but I looked it up and they don't open the building until 1:40

There are no real bars around the stadium that you can walk to. Last week I went to this place called David's that is on the north side of the stadium to watch Tennessee beat Baltimore, but it was more of a banquet hall that had a few TV's and we had to get a table to sit down and order drinks. Not sure how crowded it will be, it seemed like they wanted you to buy tickets go the buffet earlier (buffet ended by the time our game ended), so I have no idea if that makes sense to do. 

Unfortunately, CBS has the early game and they don't have a free streaming service like the other big networks. They want you to buy cbs all access to watch on your phone. If it was any other network I would just watch on my phone on the way down. 

Your best bet may be to find someone who is tailgating with a TV. There are a lot of people that do tailgating with a TV and don't even go to the game lol blue lot 1 usually has some tents set up with TVs inside. 

I wish I could be more helpful but there really isn't anything to do around the stadium. One of the reasons the location selection was poor. I always suspected that the debartolo family bought a lot of surrounding real estate and then pushed for development to increase the value of their other holdings 

Not even on the free nfl.com app?

I've been watching all the nfl regular season and nfl playoffs there. It's sweeeeet. 

• Like 1

Just now, PapaShogun said:

As confident as I am about the 49ers winning this game, I hate losing conference championships. Especially at home. Worse than the Super Bowl in my opinion. 1990, 1992, 1993, 1997, and 2011 were just backbreakers. 

Not 2013? 

43 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

As confident as I am about the 49ers winning this game, I hate losing conference championships. Especially at home. Worse than the Super Bowl in my opinion. 1990, 1992, 1993, 1997, and 2011 were just backbreakers for the franchise. 

1990 will always be a ugly stain on my fandom memory. Those other losses were not as brutal for me because I didn't really think we were good enough to win it all. But I just knew we were going to be the first team to win three SBs in a row when that 1990 team came around smh...still gets me upset thinking about how shocked, furious and hurt I was after that defeat.

Edited by 757-NINER

57 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

1990 will always be a ugly stain on my fandom memory. Those other losses were not as brutal for me because I didn't really think we were good enough to win it all. But I just knew we were going to be the first team to win three SBs in a row when that 1990 team came around smh...still gets me upset thinking about how shocked, furious and hurt I was after that defeat.

Yes. I have that as the worst loss of the franchise. 49ers win that game if Craig simply doesn't fumble in the final moments. Ugh. 

I'm not sure if they beat the Bills though with Steve Young at QB the following week. Would have been interesting since that was probably the best Bills team ever. 

Edited by PapaShogun

Last comment about losing conference championships. The thing I remember most about the 2011 game isn't the Kyle Williams fumbles, the missed call by the officials with the Bradshaw fumble, but it's actually Giants punter Steve Weatherford running around Candlestick field screaming "MOTHER ******* SUPER BOWL!!!!"

Image result for Steve Weatherford super bowl

I'm sure Weatherford is a nice guy (he has some great content online since he became a bodybuilder), but I hate him for that gesture, even if he deserves no hate lol.

I barely spoke for 3 days after that loss. 

Windows are pretty short in the NFL. Salary Cap, Unavoidable Contracts that gives you less depth, Schemes get old and figured out, retirements of good players, etc. The average window in the NFL is probably four years. The only two exceptions being Bill Bellichick and a Top 5-7 QB. Top 5 QB can basically keep you afloat forever, but those rosters won’t win the Super Bowl. 

Point being, windows are small guys and the first year is just important as any year. Don’t make small mistakes and waste it like 2011. We got awarded the worst SB ever because of that. First year of your window, make it count this time. The NFC is gonna be even more loaded next year. Dallas, Philly, GB, Min, Chi, Rams, Seattle, Arizona, NO, Carolina, TB... I even think Washington is a sneaky little sleeper if Alex Smith starts. NFC is loaded. Only team I think for sure sucks is the Giants and maybe the Falcons/Lions.

• Like 2

Rewatching the first matchup... we did a lot of shifting on punts. When they punted, we moved mosely from the jammer spot into the middle of the field. maybe we were expecting a fake run but no one was guarding their gunner. then, when we went to punt, we lined up in a weird formation then shifted everyone around. We did not run anything crazy, ended up just doing a normal punt, but notable because we were testing how the packers would react to our shanahanigans. I'll take this as they were trying to get a read on them for a potential playoff matchup. IF that is true, then I have to wonder what else kyle kept in his pocket because we were clearly trying to win, but at the same time being smart about not showing our entire hand would have been shrewd. 

(also worth noting we almost blocked two punts)

We did beat them pretty thoroughly, but lets not forget a few things: 

1) Adams got called for taunting on their first drive. That backed them up and then a few plays later rodgers fumbled. we only got the ball on that spot of the field because of that taunting call. 

2) Richburg had a bad snap while JIMMY was under center. He tried to dive on it, tomlinson kicked it backwards, and coleman dove on it. That felt like a lucky break even though we ended up punting on that drive.

3) the next drive JIMMY got sacked on third down when they ran a delayed blitz and we got bailed out on a ticky tacky holding call. I mean, it was a blatant bad call and we only got a FG out of it, so it didnt completely change the game, but it still was a lucky break

4) next packers drive its about to be 3rd and 1 but the packers block in the back and it becomes 2nd and 16. they didnt get another first down that drive. It was the correct call, so not a bad break as much as a bad play by them, but it still was part of the avalanche

5) they went for it on 4th down while down 10 on our 30ish and didnt get it. I thought it was foolish when you are down 2 scores on the road to go for it in that spot. they had a nice drive and were finally building momentum, but it completely got wiped out because they didnt convert it. will be interesting to see how aggressive lefleur is in that spot again

We were the better team by far that night, but its worth noting that we DID get some breaks in this game early, and that did help us assert our dominance later in the game. We broke their spirit with that KITTLE BOMB. 

With that being said, this is still a really good matchup for us because we are the more physical team, but also have more speed than they do LOL 

• Like 1