Conference Championship GDT - Packers at 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Rewatching the first matchup... we did a lot of shifting on punts. When they punted, we moved mosely from the jammer spot into the middle of the field. maybe we were expecting a fake run but no one was guarding their gunner. then, when we went to punt, we lined up in a weird formation then shifted everyone around. We did not run anything crazy, ended up just doing a normal punt, but notable because we were testing how the packers would react to our shanahanigans. I'll take this as they were trying to get a read on them for a potential playoff matchup. IF that is true, then I have to wonder what else kyle kept in his pocket because we were clearly trying to win, but at the same time being smart about not showing our entire hand would have been shrewd. 

(also worth noting we almost blocked two punts)

We did beat them pretty thoroughly, but lets not forget a few things: 

1) Adams got called for taunting on their first drive. That backed them up and then a few plays later rodgers fumbled. we only got the ball on that spot of the field because of that taunting call. 

2) Richburg had a bad snap while JIMMY was under center. He tried to dive on it, tomlinson kicked it backwards, and coleman dove on it. That felt like a lucky break even though we ended up punting on that drive.

3) the next drive JIMMY got sacked on third down when they ran a delayed blitz and we got bailed out on a ticky tacky holding call. I mean, it was a blatant bad call and we only got a FG out of it, so it didnt completely change the game, but it still was a lucky break

4) next packers drive its about to be 3rd and 1 but the packers block in the back and it becomes 2nd and 16. they didnt get another first down that drive. It was the correct call, so not a bad break as much as a bad play by them, but it still was part of the avalanche

5) they went for it on 4th down while down 10 on our 30ish and didnt get it. I thought it was foolish when you are down 2 scores on the road to go for it in that spot. they had a nice drive and were finally building momentum, but it completely got wiped out because they didnt convert it. will be interesting to see how aggressive lefleur is in that spot again

We were the better team by far that night, but its worth noting that we DID get some breaks in this game early, and that did help us assert our dominance later in the game. We broke their spirit with that KITTLE BOMB. 

With that being said, this is still a really good matchup for us because we are the more physical team, but also have more speed than they do LOL 

A lot of the 'bad breaks' we got were self-inflicted.   You can't commit stupid penalties and turn the ball over, especially on the road, and expect to win.  I'm hoping we play a hell of a lot better this time around.

5 hours ago, N4L said:

ARE YALL ****ING READY FOR THE NFCCG

Pretty calm.. and think I have this shelved appropriately in the "not so big a deal" category of life. 

I wonder if this changes some come kickoff time. I dunno, just don't get too  caught up in postseason accomplishments. Being in the final 4 feels plenty good enough. All the same, sure, extra gravy if to win it all. 

GO NINERS!

• Like 1

Woke up early(for me) for a Sunday at around 7am this morning and I was up pretty late last night.  Guess I'm just excited/anxious about the game.  The next eight hours are probably going to seem like an eternity.  At least the AFCCG will start in a little over four hours to help with that.

Just watched this video on NFL's website: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-previews/0ap3000001096585/Packers-vs-49ers-preview-NFC-Championship-Game

Pretty good preview video.  

• Like 2

How Jimmy Garoppolo's calm consistency helps 49ers in NFL playoffs

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/how-jimmy-garoppolos-calm-consistency-helps-49ers-nfl-playoffs

Rain or shine, preseason or playoffs, Jimmy Garoppolo consistently is the same person. It’s not because Garoppolo doesn’t feel the pressure or know how much the game means, it’s just who he is. You simply won’t see him yelling at a coach or at players on the sidelines after a botched play or a turnover. “I think it's huge,” Shanahan said this week. Win or lose, Garoppolo seems unflappable. That was the case when he arrived from the Patriots, and it still is. “I’ve seen a good bit of people just slamming helmets. I’ve never seen Jimmy do that. We come off a quick three and out and you see Jimmy on the sidelines ‘Come on, guys, let’s get ready for the next drive the next play.’ That’s really just a really good boost for the team.” 

Along with the quick release, it really is right up there at the top of his best qualities. 

• Like 3