Conference Championship GDT - Packers at 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, landoc88 said:

I'm a Packers fan but in my head I keep thinking you guys are gonna kill the Packers next Sunday. But that why they play the game on the field. Hoping for a clean game next week.

Go Pack!!

You can't reverse jinx us, Sir! 

This feels similar to the Packers/Cardinals scenario in 2015.  Cardinals absolutely smashed the Packers in the regular season, but Green Bay made a game of it in the playoffs.  Still think the talent gap is a bit too big to overcome though and the 49ers will win.  

16 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

This feels similar to the Packers/Cardinals scenario in 2015.  Cardinals absolutely smashed the Packers in the regular season, but Green Bay made a game of it in the playoffs.  Still think the talent gap is a bit too big to overcome though and the 49ers will win.  

And I mentioned it earlier but also against Seattle the prior year. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Are you saying that dj Jones isn't the physical freak and marvel that saquon is and couldn't return in four weeks? 😁

I'd rather not rush him back and have a repeat of Ian Williams career for DJ Jones, but if he's healthy put him out there. 

The rules limiting the amount of players that can return is a little dumb, we had 16 guys get IR'd. I'd bet we have 3 or 4 guys capable of returning if they were allowed. 

3 minutes ago, nayad said:

I'd rather not rush him back and have a repeat of Ian Williams career for DJ Jones, but if he's healthy put him out there. 

The rules limiting the amount of players that can return is a little dumb, we had 16 guys get IR'd. I'd bet we have 3 or 4 guys capable of returning if they were allowed. 

He can't return this season. 

1 minute ago, nayad said:

We've already used our two IR return players. Street + Kwon. 

Odds are, he wouldn't have been able to return. As J said, that's usually an 8 week injury. 6 wouldn't be unheard of, but neither would longer than 8. This is a little concerning for Jones moving forward though. He's had a couple of ankle injuries now, including sprains of both just this season 

I'm fairly nervous about this one as well.

Even knowing that we match-up pretty well against them, I also realize its going to be hard to beat Rodgers twice in one season. I know we've done it before and should do it again but I have serious nerves with Jimmy and his decision-making under duress. Can't gift Rodgers any extra possessions. He isn't Cousins....he'll make us pay. The Smith Bros will have their moments and I pray Jimmy keeps his wits about him when it happens and doesn't force the issue unless the circumstance calls for it.  

I feel confident that our D will have its moments and make their fair share of plays. But offensively I get nervous thinking about untimely drops, guys like Breida having fumbling issues and Jimmy's inaccuracy at times. Kittle looks like he's ailing. Noticed the extra padding around his mid-section...wondering if he's got like a cracked rib or something??

I feel we have to execute much better than we did against the Vikes offensively to win this. It won't be nearly as easy a second time around. Need zero turnovers on offense and STs. Shanny needs to dial up a masterpiece to really throw off what they think they're gonna see.

Edited by 757-NINER

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

We've already used our two IR return players. Street + Kwon. 

Odds are, he wouldn't have been able to return. As J said, that's usually an 8 week injury. 6 wouldn't be unheard of, but neither would longer than 8. This is a little concerning for Jones moving forward though. He's had a couple of ankle injuries now, including sprains of both just this season 

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He can't return this season. 

I chose poor wording, I knew he couldn't but was saying i didnt want an ian williams injury concern where he comes back early. then the rest of my post was about how the limit of players able to return (2) was dumb. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm fairly nervous about this one as well.

Even knowing that we match-up pretty well against them, I also realize its going to be hard to beat Rodgers twice in one season. I know we've done it before and should do it again but I have serious nerves with Jimmy and his decision-making under duress. Can't gift Rodgers any extra possessions. He isn't Cousins....he'll make us pay. The Smith Bros will have their moments and I pray Jimmy keeps his wits about him when it happens and doesn't force the issue unless the circumstance calls for it.  

I feel confident that our D will have its moments and make their fair share of plays. But offensively I get nervous thinking about untimely drops, guys like Breida having fumbling issues and Jimmy's inaccuracy at times. Kittle looks like he's ailing. Noticed the extra padding around his rib area... wondering if he's playing hurt??

I feel we have to execute much better than we did against the Vikes offensively to win this. It won't be nearly as easy a second time around. Need zero turnovers on offense and STs. Shanny needs to dial up a masterpiece to really throw off what they think they're gonna see.

If they win this one, they win it. But it won't be one that I'm worried about leading up to it, I'm pretty sure, which is saying something given my reputation in this forum lol. 

The way we lose this game is that Jimmy G / offense craps the bed in my opinion. The thing is, even that may be difficult because they simply have *nobody* that can cover Kittle. Now, I did notice the extra padding as well (the first time I saw it I thought that he looked super bloated lol), but I Haven't heard anything about an injury, so I'm going to more or less just assume that he was fine and the Vikings were just doing a good job on him as they have done to most tight ends this year, particularly with Kendricks. The Packers have some very slow linebackers and nobody near as good as Kendricks, so I'm expecting a big game. They have no speed there. So that should at the very least make the passing game a bit easier, which may mitigate the the Jimmy G Yolo throws.

I'm not sure what's going on with Breida, but honestly, I wouldn't be overly shocked if he's inactive in this one in favor of Wilson (provided Mostert and Coleman are both good to go). OR maybe he gets the active / no snap count treatment. Provided they are healthy, this backfield will flow through Coleman and Mostert, and if Coleman struggles, we will rely on Mostert if necessary. He's been getting minimal play as is following the fumbles in Atlanta, and to come back at the end of the game on Saturday and then fumble on one of your few carries is an easy way to get you to the doghouse. 

Truthfully, I view the the Packers as a very similar team to the Vikings overall, but mayhaps with a better offensive philosophy / gameplanning. 

2 hours ago, straighthate said:

Was just gonna ask the same thing. I’m guessing you meant Kwon and Ford. I looked at box score and didn’t see any other missing names that stood out.

Breida maybe? Think he was the only name I noticed. Who was out on the O line?  

And who was out for the Packers?

2 hours ago, burlow said:

O.o, maybe I have lost my mind... maybe you ment Ford?  I do not remember when Dee got injured.  We still had Tart at this game and a healthier D-Line (depth at least)

Yeah I meant Kwon and Ford. 

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

If they win this one, they win it. But it won't be one that I'm worried about leading up to it, I'm pretty sure, which is saying something given my reputation in this forum lol. 

The way we lose this game is that Jimmy G / offense craps the bed in my opinion. The thing is, even that may be difficult because they simply have *nobody* that can cover Kittle. Now, I did notice the extra padding as well (the first time I saw it I thought that he looked super bloated lol), but I Haven't heard anything about an injury, so I'm going to more or less just assume that he was fine and the Vikings were just doing a good job on him as they have done to most tight ends this year, particularly with Kendricks. The Packers have some very slow linebackers and nobody near as good as Kendricks, so I'm expecting a big game. They have no speed there. So that should at the very least make the passing game a bit easier, which may mitigate the the Jimmy G Yolo throws.

I'm not sure what's going on with Breida, but honestly, I wouldn't be overly shocked if he's inactive in this one in favor of Wilson (provided Mostert and Coleman are both good to go). OR maybe he gets the active / no snap count treatment. Provided they are healthy, this backfield will flow through Coleman and Mostert, and if Coleman struggles, we will rely on Mostert if necessary. He's been getting minimal play as is following the fumbles in Atlanta, and to come back at the end of the game on Saturday and then fumble on one of your few carries is an easy way to get you to the doghouse. 

Truthfully, I view the the Packers as a very similar team to the Vikings overall, but mayhaps with a better offensive philosophy / gameplanning. 

Totally get where you're coming from. I just DID NOT like how we executed with our pass offense after the first drive against the Vikes. Minny seemed liked they went with more of a Tampa 2 after that first drive and kind of bottled us up. I think that gets glossed over because we ran the ball so well in the second half and ate up the clock. 

But truthful I was going to be nervous no matter who we played. Its been a LOOOOOONG time since I was extremely confident of our chances in the playoffs.  I feel we definitely have the talent but the most talented team doesn't always win. That's what spooks me with this team. They just have moments, especially offensively where they take a possession or two 'off' so to speak. Drives me crazy...

Edited by 757-NINER

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Totally get where you're coming from. I just DID NOT like how we executed with our pass offense after the first drive. Minny seemed liked they went with more of a Tampa 2 after that first drive and kind of bottled us up. I think that gets glossed over because we ran the ball so well in the second half and ate up the clock. 

But truthful I was going to be nervous no matter who we played. Its been a LOOOOOONG time since I was extremely confident of our chances in the playoffs.  I feel we definitely have the talent but the most talented team doesn't always win. That's what spooks me with this team. They just have moments, especially offensively where they take a possession or two 'off' so to speak. Drives me crazy...

I mentioned it on the podcast a few weeks ago, but I think Jimmy struggles a bit against zones. It's a work in progress for sure. He really struggles with those underneath backers. Minnesota was typically a man team this year I'm pretty sure, but against the Saints, they studied the tape of the Falcons game who ran a lot of zone, and transitioned to more zone for that one. I was curious whether they would do the same for us (given that Atlanta also gave us fits), and I saw some similar activity. I don't think Jimmy or the passing offense was on it's game at all, completely concur. But so long as we don't give them the ball via turnovers, I'm confident that we will do enough offensively in this one. I expect an easy passing game plan featuring backs and Kittle because they will often be covered by guys who simply can't cover them. 

The defense looking as good as it did inspires a lot of confidence in me though. That defense is just a beast when they are at their best. I wish we had DJ Jones to fill it out, and I'll be looking for Buck and AA (expecting reps on the interior for him in this one at times) to push the pocket from the middle, where I don't think that the Packers are as strong. If Bulaga is out next week as well (I suspect he will go, but you never know), they are really in trouble. We've been down that road in the first game, and that was a disaster for them. They have to keep Rodgers clean for sure. 

I'm not going to lie. There is a weird sense of....I don't know...satisfaction, I guess, about the fact that we took Smith over him in the draft, he has carried this chip on his shoulder throughout his entire nfl career, taking it out on everyone, etc (and obviously, he has his ring, so he got his and proved everyone who passed on him wrong, including us). But if he loses this game, he will be 0-3 against us in his career in the post season, the most losses against any one team in his post season career (currently has 2 losses against us and Arizona)  and we are the team he should be the most angry at and the team most responsible for that chip he's carrying around. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, straighthate said:

I got my tickets today! Anyone else going?

you'll be able to see mitchwish in action! lol

We have one elite corner. They have one elite WR. If we dont have our one elite corner follow their one elite WR I am going to be livid. Sherm taking adams 1v1 will let us attack the LOS and get after rodgers/shut down their run game. hes all they have. None of their other weapons will be able to do much against us. Jimmy Graham is super slow and warner will have no issues covering him. Rodgers doesnt trust the other WRs.

It would be a nice wrinkle for us considering their entire gameplan will be for a defense where the corners dont travel. Its a small, simple change that shouldnt be a huge deal for us as a defense, but could pose big problems to their gameplan. 

If we let them put adams onto mosely all game long and never make any adjustment, then I am going to create a twitter and @ sherman and tell him hes not an elite corner because he doesnt follow the other teams elite wr LOL